Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Trailers stretched to 16:9

daandaan Members, Plex Pass Posts: 133 Plex Pass

I just tried the trailers feature (via the '+' tab) in the Samsung client. For some reason, all trailers are stretched to 16:9. That means almost all trailers are stretched vertically. It does not happen with the (new) Plex Media Player. Is there any way to fix this?

Best Answer

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 7,620 Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

Please try the latest beta release, I made some changes to the aspect ratio settings.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

Answers

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 7,620 Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

Please try the latest beta release, I made some changes to the aspect ratio settings.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• daandaan Members, Plex Pass Posts: 133 Plex Pass

Thanks, I might check it out.

• aR3SA4RyaR3SA4Ry Members, Plex Pass Posts: 279 Plex Pass

Sooo.... some 2 and a half years later, is the answer to still use that beta? Because I finally got trailers working and I notice the same thing... trailers are forced to 16:9 while the films themselves are not.

At first I thought it was server, not app, because my Android app does the same thing. But the Web Player does not and neither does WIndows Plex App or chromecast.

Any ideas on how to "fix" this? Sure, it is minor... but maybe it is an easy fix.

PMS 1.13.2.5142
    Samsung app 2.011
    UN65F8000 (2013) <-- wow, my TV is already 5 years old! Time flies... yeesh.

The problem has to do with the trailer content. If you check the XML for those files you will see that they have wrong dimensions. So a 21:9 video could be listed as 1920x1080. Unfortunately the app depends on the server analysis, which doesn't gets it right all the time.
    As a workaround:
    Press the green button during playback and select the bottom option.
    Keep pressing enter until you find the right aspect ratio.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• aR3SA4RyaR3SA4Ry Members, Plex Pass Posts: 279 Plex Pass

Thanks for the reply.

Curious... where/how do we see XML for these on-the-fly internet grabbed vids?