Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex for xbox one view by folder

matanguaymatanguay Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Anyone know how i can change my view to see the Library in "by folder".

thank you

Answers

• jmckeejmckee Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 4,804 Plex Ninja

You currently can't. That feature has not been added to the app yet.

-side note- I moved this topic to the Xbox One forum.

• matanguaymatanguay Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Do you have a idea when the change was made in the APP ?

The developers have not stated when this feature will be added.

It has never been in the app, so nothing was changed to remove it. It just hasn't been a completed feature yet.

edited December 2015

I would love to browse my Home Videos (5,000+ sorted in folders by year/month) but browsing them on the Xbox is painful without the "browse by folder" feature. IMHO this is a basic navigation feature that should be included in all Plex player releases.

The good news is the developers have been stated that sorts and filters are something that will be included, so there is a good chance that before the app is released it will be included. The bad news is they haven't given a timeline for either the new features or when the app will be ready to leave early access.

--edit
    Not good enough of a chance it seems

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 930 Plex Employee

We have filters/sorts planned for 'soon' and folder view for 'later'. I can't give specific ETAs, I'm afraid (too many uncertainties to get hopes up), but hopefully than helps.

• mbarylskimbarylski Members, Plex Pass Posts: 223 Plex Pass

@Dom C Good to hear filters, sorts, and folders are somewhere in the plans. Any chance a combined home videos/photos library is in the plans too? I'd much rather view home videos and photos together rather than in 2 separate libraries.

• CobaltdragonCobaltdragon Members Posts: 1

Just chiming in my support to please add a folder view. It's the one thing that keeps me using the media player app on Xbox.

• googanabagooganaba Members Posts: 1

I would also like to see the folder view. Otherwise, my home movies and music collection is not usable on PLEX given the large amount of content I would need to sift through. Please add the folder feature that is available on other devices.

• ecsrunecsrun Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I bought Plex specifically to use it on my xbox one.. I was shocked when I realized that it didn't have folder support. Is there any update on this with an ETA? Does the development team recognize that this is a "must have" feature when dealing with hundreds or thousands of videos???

• noofnynoofny Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    edited July 2016

Would also love for folder view on Xbox One app. Makes no sense to have it pretty much everywhere else except your main media center. Do you guys have a system for community votes on feature requests?

• clegg78clegg78 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

I agree with this. Lack of folder view/sort in the XB1 app is unfortunate, makes it much less useful for large libraries.

• anthonyjflynnanthonyjflynn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

I cannot believe this is still a thing. Without the option to browse by folder this app is useless to me.

• mrbofusmrbofus Members, Plex Pass Posts: 28 Plex Pass

@Dom C said:
    We have filters/sorts planned for 'soon' and folder view for 'later'. I can't give specific ETAs, I'm afraid (too many uncertainties to get hopes up), but hopefully than helps.

It's been over 9 months...any word on when this will happen?

• LiquidtoonLiquidtoon Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass

I have to agree this is something that is needed.

• VanonVanon Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass
    edited October 2016

+1

Awaiting this extremely useful feature on Xbox. Surprised to see it has so many fans, but is still not implemented. I could not find any combination of filters or sorts that comes close to the power and simplicity of "View by Folder".

Edit: Very happy to see it is one of the features highlighted in the "Known Issues" announcement. Sorry for the bump.

• mal68mal68 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 113 Plex Pass

These "features still to be implemented" have been listed in that known issues thread for a long time. It would be nice to know if they are being actively worked on or if they are just part of a potential future road map.

It really seems like all the xbox resources are dedicated to trouble shooting any issues that arise with the introduction of big new plex wide features like DVR

• mbarylskimbarylski Members, Plex Pass Posts: 223 Plex Pass

@mal68 said:
    These "features still to be implemented" have been listed in that known issues thread for a long time. It would be nice to know if they are being actively worked on or if they are just part of a potential future road map.

Agreed, it's been almost impossible to get anything out of the Plex team regarding what features will be included in the next release. I recall when the last update was released, we were told that the design/architecture of the app had changed to make updates quicker. It certainly doesn't seem like updates are being released any quicker than before. It would be nice to at least hear what features are planned for the next release. And, as an added bonus, it would be nice to have a listing of all the user requested features for Xbox One.

• HyperLunaticHyperLunatic Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

+1 Trying to find movies in the library without a folder view is clunky and not passing the wife test. Please add asap!!

• boogimonboogimon Members Posts: 1

Are you kidding me? I just got an xbox one and spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to view by folder. How is this missing? By folder is the way 90% of of people will want to view their videos. Videos all have names like DC00231.mpg or Title01.mkv and likely they all have the same date (or otherwise arbitrary date) since they were copied or downloaded from somewhere else. But they are all in folders like "Disney trip 2011" or "Blah rip season 1". Without this folder info it is completely impossible to find the vid you are looking for.

I keep getting close to buying Plex, but they keep disappointing me. The folder view on the PS3 worked for a while and then they broke it for a year. On the Roku you can't see what titles you have viewed before without going into the details of each one. The idea of Plex is great, but each time I try to use it I find roadblocks that make it too painful to use.