Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

List of Current Client.Product and Client.Platform

TwoureTwoure Posts: 621Members ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Channel Development

Updated: 08/17/2016

Working at filling out a currently valid Client.Product and Client.Platform list. Please let me know of corrections.

Client.Product Description
Plex for Android Android phone. "All the mobile players and boxes[:]... smartphones, tablets, as well as FireTV, GoogleTV, and AndroidTV (meaning the newer Nvidia Shield and Nexus Player) boxes" @shopgirl284 (ref)
Plex for iOS Apple iPhone and iPad (ref)
PlexConnect Apple TV (v3 and lower, 3rd party Client)
Plex for Apple TV Apple TV v4
Plex Media Player Plex Media Player
Plex Home Theater Plex Home Theater, and newer versions of Open Plex Home Theater
OpenPHT Open Plex Home Theater
Plex Web Plex Web client, (all browsers)
Plex for Windows Windows 10 App (ref). Maybe Windows Phone App too?
Plex for Roku Roku, (all versions)
Plex Chromecast Google Chromecast
Plex for Xbox One Xbox One
Plex for Samsung Samsung TVs (Unofficial official Samsung App)
Plex TV Opera Smart TV, (PlayStation 4, old and unsure if correct so removed for now)
NotifyPlex NZBGet (not sure, was guess from searching forums)
HTPC Manager Windows Server (Windows-2012Server-6.2.9200). (not sure, was guess from searching forums)

Client.Platform Description
Android Android phone. "All the mobile players and boxes[:]... smartphones, tablets, as well as FireTV, GoogleTV, and AndroidTV (meaning the newer Nvidia Shield and Nexus Player) boxes" @shopgirl284 (ref)
Safari Plex Web client for Safari internet browser
Chrome Plex Web client for Chrome internet browser
Firefox Plex Web client for Firefox internet browser
Microsoft Edge Plex Web client for Microsoft Edge internet browser (ref)
Internet Explorer Plex Web client for Microsoft Internet Explorer browser (ref)
Opera Plex Web client for Opera internet browser (ref). Also Opera TV Plex Client.
Plex Home Theater Plex Home Theater
Konvergo Plex Media Player, (running on a Raspberry Pi 2 B)
iOS Apple iPhone, iPad (ref), and Apple TV (v3 and lower, 3rd party Client)
tvOS Apple TV v4
MacOSX Apple MacOSX
Linux Linux Flavors (not sure which)
Windows Microsoft Windows OS
LGTV LGTV
Roku Roku, (all versions)
Chromecast Google Chromecast
Samsung Samsung TVs (Unofficial official Samsung app)
Mystery 4 PlayStation 4 (ref)
Mystery 5 Xbox 360 (ref)
Xbox One Xbox One
NZBGet NZBGet (not sure, was guess from searching forums)

Any help (corrections, additions) with filling this out would be appreciated. Note the Plex Missing From Dev Docs does not have a list but does reference using these functions.

Best Answer

Answers

• dane22dane22 Posts: 9,688Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Client.Platform is listed in the Plug-ins/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Versions/2/Python/Framework/api/constkit.py file

Regarding the Product, I'm not 100% sure, but think that it's up to the client, what it identifies itself as, in the http header named X-Plex-Product

/T

• TwoureTwoure Posts: 621Members ✭✭✭

@dane22 Thanks for the info on Client.Platform, I was able to find what I needed in the constkit.py file. Before I mark this as answered, I'm going to wait and see if anyone else can chime in for Client.Product. Thanks again.

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,355Members, Plex Pass, Forum Moderator Forum Mod

The new AppleTV returns tvOS for Client.Platform

@shopgirl284 said:
    The new AppleTV returns tvOS for Client.Platform

Thanks, added to the list above.

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,355Members, Plex Pass, Forum Moderator Forum Mod

A couple other notes for your list.

iOS is for Iphone and Ipad.

And I think all Android devices are now using the same Plex app, so Android is for all the mobile players and boxes, so smartphones, tablets, as well as FireTV, GoogleTV, and AndroidTV (meaning the newer Nvidia Shield and Nexus Player) boxes.

And as you have already noted, Plex Web client platforms are listed as the web browser that is used, so Firefox would also be considered a client.platform too. Not sure about that new IE browser, but I am assuming it would just be Edge.

And there is also Samsung and PlexConnect. They are third party apps. PlexConnect is truly a third party app since it is sideloaded. Samsung is more of a official unofficial app. It is official, just not managed/updated by an employee of Plex like all the other official apps.

@shopgirl284 did i implement your info correctly?

@Twoure said:
    @shopgirl284 did i implement your info correctly?

Yes, I would just put what you have for Client.Product for Android on the Client.Platform for Android, since Client.Platform is what people tend to use (or at least I do)

I did just notice one thing. You mention PlexConnect under the Samsung TV.listing.

PlexConnect has nothing to do with Samsung. I mentioned them together because they are not apps that are created by Plex employees, therefore they are considered to be third party apps. But they are still listed values for Client.Platform.

PlexConnect is a Plex player app for older AppleTV boxes. It is a third party app, but it is recognized by the Client.Platform value "PlexConnect."

@shopgirl284 said:
    Yes, I would just put what you have for Client.Product for Android on the Client.Platform for Android, since Client.Platform is what people tend to use (or at least I do)

Sorry, but did you mean remove from Product list and place with Platform or same description for both?

PlexConnect is a Plex player app for older AppleTV boxes. It is a third party app, but it is recognized by the Client.Platform value "PlexConnect."

Thank you for the PlexConnect clarification. Updated to reflect your info.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to help make this list correct.

It now reflects what I was trying to say.

• dane22dane22 Posts: 9,688Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Ups....Pinned this thread ;-)

• coder-alphacoder-alpha Posts: 365Members ✭✭✭

I had issues with my Samsung App when using this call (Client.Platform & Cient.Product return None) on my device HT-F5500W bluray player. I was not getting the expected info. I posted about it to the developer a while back but without any response. This still seems to hold true for the latest App (v. 2.007) as of now. So just posting here a link to that post https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/207532/plugin-developer-question-on-client-identifier#latest