If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex naming schemes for FileBot

Comments

• jvrichiejvrichie Posts: 39Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2017

I'm also discovering the joys of filebot but I have a question for everyone:

After using filebot to rename all my Doctor Who episodes I've discovered if I just throw all of them under one main file on my PC that Plex organizes them into folders in Library more efficiently thereby removing one extra click in the UI on whatever device I'm watching Plex on.

-now please don't lecture me about Plex's naming structure and how I'd be better off with it because eliminating every extra click is my goal and this works-

Besides, my question isn't about that - it's about specials. Right now Plex likes thetvdb.com structure of "s00exx" so: does anyone know how to name specials so that Plex will put them in the corresponding seasons folder when I have them all together under that main folder I talked about?

This would preserve my more efficient Library clicks AND put the specials with the season they belong to.

• rednoah42rednoah42 Posts: 87Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Are you using the {plex} binding? Because that should take care of the correct folder structure and filenames, including special episodes.

Thanks for the quick answer. I was wondering about that. Initially, I just used filebot default settings and Plex seem to understand it so I didn't think I needed it but I will go ahead and try that. I've seen various customized Plex bindings but I'm way too ignorant of how to do that.

But you think it'll work with just the {plex} one? I'm away from the house or I'd try now.

The FileBot default format will give you nice humanly-readable filenames. {plex} will give you the Plex path and that's the only thing that's guaranteed to work. If you're organizing files for Plex then you must use the {plex} format.

Well I switched it all to Plex's structure with filebot but I'm going to have to look elsewhere for an answer. Plex insists on putting all the specials in one folder and that's unacceptable. Most of these specials have a narrative specific place within certain episodes. Having them all mixed together breaks the show.

There has to be a way to code Filebots bindings in a way that works with Plex to put them where they belong.
    Unfortunately I know nothing about how to do that and don't have the time to learn it.

At this point I'm starting to look at Kodi. The ability to customize the file structure the way I need is certainly there. I've even heard you can hybrid Kodi and Plex but I'm afraid learning to do that might take as long as learning bindings.

This is so frustrating.

edited January 2017

FileBot supports any possible output path scheme you can image, but Plex does not. Plex does expect files to be organized in a certain way, with specials being named S00EXX and in a folder called Specials or Season 0.

Not sure about Kodi, but it may not be as easy and straight-forward as you think, depending on what you're trying to do. The S00EXX pattern is probably required there as well, because that's how specials are organized on TheTVDB.

On Kodi you establish a secondary order in the filing name. In other words you provide the information about S00EXX that's expected but you also include part of the file name as season 1,2,3 etc. So an example would be: Doctor Who\Season 3\s00e46.mkv This way the system knows s00 makes them specials and also places them in order based on episode number, but then the additional or secondary information of a season (that the episode belongs to) then places it under the correct season with that seasons own regular episodes.

Plex does the same thing if you place s00 episodes with regular season episodes in it's own season folder. The reason I started looking for a different solution is that when I do that Plex adds two extra clicks for what you want to do.

Kodi makes it so that in their version of Plex's Library you'd select "Doctor Who" which brings up season tiles, then select which season you want and it brings up the episodes. That's it.

In Plex, that same order makes it so you select "Doctor Who" from the Library which brings you to season tiles and then when you click that it takes you to a screen with that season as a big tile and another smaller tile that says the same thing below it. Then you have to select it again and then you get the season folder and the specials folder and then you select which one of those you want and then finally you get the episode list.

*I should point out that in my Library "Doctor Who" has it's own listing along with "TV" rather than under it. I have the same thing with "Marvel" having it's own listing under Library along with "Movies"
    That IS why you're able to rename Library entries and it does reduce clicks.

Anyway, I'm still not convinced Plex can't do this. The reason is that when I first used Filebot it was with standard episode formatting rather than the {Plex} binding and I noticed special episodes had an additional part of the name specifying which season it belonged to. Since Plex doesn't recognize that format though, it ignored it. Point is it IS there.

Plex is a beautiful piece of programming and I have to believe there's a way to name these files so it can place them more efficiently than it is - especially since the runner up Kodi can do it. And I really don't want to switch or make some Frankenstein hybrid.

-update- I use Tivo primarily with my TV and I've just read about a new UI Tivo is planning called Hydra (unfortunately) that will list all of your content together and is completely customizable. If you have DVR recordings, Plex content and, say an Amazon video library it can list all your content in one place without having to open any of those apps or programs.
    This is yet one more reason I REALLY want to stay with Plex because Kodi just isn't as integrated with other devices.

It's a major annoyance that there's so many clicks involved with the TV shows I have with specials but I may just have to keep swallowing it. I sure wish there were a way though. It's why I asked the community and I DO appreciate the suggestions. I never would have found Filebot otherwise :)

edited January 2017

Well, in that case it's merely view issue, rather than a file naming issue.

FileBot will standardize the path so that Plex can make sense of the files in the initial import step and link each file to the corresponding TheTVDB entries and thus all the additional metadata.

After that it's all up to Plex how to display the information. Search by genre, actors, etc. Sort by numbers, airdate, etc. It's so easy I'd be surprised if there isn't an option that'd allow you to sort episodes by airdate instead of S00E00 numbers.

edited January 2017

I suppose so. That gives me a different way to think about this then.

Most of these specials are actual episodes. There's Christmas specials, anniversaries and mid season episodes to name a few but the point is they actually belong in between other episodes in the season.

I could forego the s00 convention and name them within episode but where they go. So I could have: s03e7.5 or s03e07.5? Would that work do you think? I seem to remember there was a way to wedge in episodes that way.

I have about twenty I'd need to do but that wouldn't be too hard.

-sorry. I realize that wasn't the point you were making but it made me think of doing this.

• Peter_WPeter_W Posts: 2,142Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

The Plex feature "On deck" should be able to see if a special episode comes inbetween two episodes from the regular seasons, since it displays after date. I do believe that is the best way to watch series which has a lot of specials going back and forth.

Server running VMware/NAPP-IT/OmniOS/ZFS
    Lian Li PC-Z70 - Corsair AX760 - Intel E3-1245V3 w Noctua NH-U14S CPU cooler - Supermicro X10SAE - 32GB Kingston ECC RAM - Intel 530 SSD 80GB - LSI MegaRAID 9240-8i (flashed to IT mode) - 8 3TB WD RED in Raid-Z2

Please check the support site first - https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us :: No PM's unless requested ::

edited January 2017

No, the S00E00 number in the file must match exactly TheTVDB and all those specials need to be in the Specials folder. But how files look on the filesystem has nothing to do with how they are organized and displayed in Plex.

If you sort episodes by airdate (e.g. 0x15 aired on 2016-12-24 comes after 5x22 aired on 2016-10-20) in Plex then specials and episodes will appear in the correct temporal order even if the files are organized differently on the filesystem.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 7,076Members ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

@Peter_W said:
    The Plex feature "On deck" should be able to see if a special episode comes inbetween two episodes from the regular seasons, since it displays after date. I do believe that is the best way to watch series which has a lot of specials going back and forth.

IF the files match with TVDB and get the air date. No Match. No Air Date. No Joy.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

edited January 2017

The whole point of using FileBot is to make sure that files match TheTVDB. If TheTVDB doesn't have the corresponding data at all, then FileBot won't be able to process the files neither. In that case it's not really "Episodes" from the Plex point of view, but just random home videos.

Thank you for all the helpful information. Very appreciated :)

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 27,291Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Is there a way to prevent the automatic creation of the /Movies and /TV Shows in the target folder when using the {plex} binding?

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
    edited January 2017

Yes. There are many ways to cherry pick what bits and pieces you want in your format.

e.g.

plex[1..-1]
    plex[1]/plex[2]
    plex.dir/plex.name
    plex.path.after('/')

@rednoah42 said:
    Yes. There are many ways to cherry pick what bits and pieces you want in your format.

plex[1..-1]
    plex[1]/plex[2]
    plex.dir/plex.name
    plex.path.after('/')

I have to admit, that I am overwhelmed here.
    I understand this is a kind of array from which one can pick all columns individually.
    Is there a place where one can see all available elements?
    Or even better, the magic formula which composes the default {plex} binding for easier modification?

edited January 2017

plex will give you a File object. FileBot adds convenience methods to the Groovy runtime, so you can access path components via array access syntax.

plex.path.after('/') is probably the easiest to read though. I've added plex.tail with the latest revision for convenience.

The plex binding isn't just a macro for some other Groovy code, but it it should be more or less equivalent with this kind of format:

TV Shows/{n}/{episode.special ? 'Specials' : 'Season '+s.pad(2)}/{n} - {episode.special ? 'S00E'+special.pad(2) : s00e00} - {t.replaceAll(/[`´‘’ʻ]/, /'/).replaceAll(/[!?.]+$/).replacePart(', Part $1')}{'.'+lang}

See https://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4116

• per_PLEX_edper_PLEX_ed Posts: 580Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for the explanation and the awesome app, @rednoah42 - needless to say I donated a while ago.

I have set the {plex} option in the file naming, which works very well. The only thing I would like to change is that my movies and tv shows are renamed within the directory they are already in. How would I change that?

Would I have to set it to {plex.tail} or something?

Tutorial:

How to create an infinite Plex media server using a VPS and Cloud service
    My VPS: SSD Nodes - KVM / X-Large. Specs: 16GB RAM * 80GB SSD * 8TB transfer * 4-core processor

@per_PLEX_ed said:
    The only thing I would like to change is that my movies and tv shows are renamed within the directory they are already in.

Then you'd have to create the folder structure for tv shows yourself again.
    Is that really what you want?