If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex naming schemes for FileBot

Comments

• rednoah42rednoah42 Posts: 87Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I think you mean {plex.name} which is the filename part of the plex path. If you use relative paths (such as a filename) then behaviour as to how relative paths are resolved depends on how you use filebot.

• per_PLEX_edper_PLEX_ed Posts: 580Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 2017

@OttoKerner said:

@per_PLEX_ed said:
    The only thing I would like to change is that my movies and tv shows are renamed within the directory they are already in.

Then you'd have to create the folder structure for tv shows yourself again.
    Is that really what you want?

Do you mean the sub folders like Season 01, Season 02, Extras etc? No.......... that I would like to keep intact. It's no big deal the way it is, but my movies are subdivided in various categories like Action, SciFi, Romance, etc. I would like to place the movies already in the appropriate category, then rename using Filebot.

Same with TV series, I have Animated, Documentaries, SciFi etc and same applies, would like to keep the series where they are rather than migrate to TV Shows which is default.

If that can't be done without a huge amount of tweaking, I'm quite happy to move them manually :)

Tutorial:

How to create an infinite Plex media server using a VPS and Cloud service
    My VPS: SSD Nodes - KVM / X-Large. Specs: 16GB RAM * 80GB SSD * 8TB transfer * 4-core processor

@rednoah42 said:
    I think you mean {plex.name} which is the filename part of the plex path. If you use relative paths (such as a filename) then behaviour as to how relative paths are resolved depends on how you use filebot.

Thanks for your reply, we cross posted :) So if I set it to {plex.name}, everything will remain as awesome as it is, except for the "root" folder right?

Tutorial:

My VPS: SSD Nodes - KVM / X-Large. Specs: 16GB RAM * 80GB SSD * 8TB transfer * 4-core processor

You can use bits and pieces of the original path to build your new path and there is many ways to do it. Depends on what you're trying to do (specific examples) and what you have (specific examples).

If you use the GUI and {plex.name} as format then you will only rename (and not move) files.

Perfect, thanks!!!! :x

Tutorial:

btw, here's some additional info on how to set or remove the title medata for mkv files using the mkvpropedit command-line tool:
    https://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5047

There's no GUI for this right now, but if you're using the amc script, then it should be quite easy to incorporate. Keep in mind that you'll be modifying the file, so you can't do this on files that are being seeded.

• camncharcamnchar Posts: 201Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@rednoah42 said:
    If you use the GUI and {plex.name} as format then you will only rename (and not move) files.

THANK YOU

• hthighwayhthighway Posts: 6,587Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

What would be the {plex} equivalent of creating a folder in the format of /Movie Name, The (XXXX)/The Movie Name (XXXX).ext

Similar to /{n.replaceFirst(/^(?i)(The|A|An)\s(.+)/, /\$2, \$1/)} ({y})/

• Paul
    edited November 2017

You wouldn't be able to use {plex} for that.

The easiest solution is this: /path/to/Movies/{n.sortName('$2, $1')} ({y})/{plex.name}

But note that this might interfere with tools that assume that the folder is correctly named according to the {plex} format.

// see https://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=211
    // see https://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4116

• DESASTER75DESASTER75 Posts: 116Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi guys!
    What will be the FileBot-Filter-setting to get Music renamed/sorted/into Category well? Do have couple albums which I would like to put into PLEX, too.

Movie = {plex}
    Audio = ???

Thx

via Email
    The {genre} binding might be what you're looking for.

Best to load a few music files in the GUI and the play around with it in
    the Format Editor.

Hmmm, Thanks! Possible to be more specific/detailed? Example?

My structure:
    FolderMainName = Artist
    FolderName = Name of album
    Titles = track-names

So what to put into File Bot to get ...
    GENRE/Artist/Album/Title AND Albumart

via Email
    Not really. The formats should be quite self explanatory. Just try for 5
    min and see what you can come up with.

If you really continue to have trouble, then I'll see if I can give you a
    solution to copy and paste. ;)
  • keithcq71keithcq71 Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any option for files in the cloud?

You might be able to mount your cloud drive into the local filesystem and then process files as usual.

GM!
    Tried all possible ways but the output is not the output I would like to get. :(

Do I have to change the filters in PLEX, too? Which one and in which sorting/setting?

Thanks

Well, FileBot is just responsible for moving files into a certain folder structure. AFAIK, Plex primarily uses the ID3 tags in the file, and not the file & folder structure, to identify files.

As for a FileBot Format that yields GENRE/Artist/Album/Title AND Albumart might look something like this: {media.genre}/{media.performer}/{media.album}/{media.track}

I'm explicitly using the media.* bindings here to access ID3 tags directly. If files aren't ID3 tagged, then I recommend using MusicBrainz Picard for that first.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 27,291Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited December 2017

@rednoah42 said:
    Well, FileBot is just responsible for moving files into a certain folder structure. AFAIK, Plex primarily uses the ID3 tags in the file, and not the file & folder structure, to identify files.

For video, that only applies to mp4 and m4v files.
    For audio, plex ignores currently metadata in opus, dsf and probably some other formats as well.
    And only if 'Local Media Assets' are on top spot in the agent configuration.
    (But I don't recommend it to do it that way, because very often the files' metadata contain nonsensical info or spam.)

So Plex's first source to identify the media item for matching is folder and file names.
    That's what makes Filebot and similar tools so valuable. :)

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
    via Email
    Does the same apply to music such as MP3 files?

My understanding is that video is all about naming things correctly, while
    audio is about tagging things correctly.