Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Fast Forward and Rewind problem

oshingleroshingler Members Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm using an IR remote (Logitech Harmony) and when I try to fast forward or rewind a video in Plex (tvOS) it just jumps back to the info screen. The fast forward and rewind buttons on my remote are mapped to the Fast Forward and Rewind buttons of an Apple TV device, which works fine in Simplex and native Apple TV video viewing. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Best Answers

Answers

• MCBARFIELDMCBARFIELD Members, Plex Pass Posts: 32 Plex Pass

I am also experiencing this issue. Also, Step Forward and Step Back mapped from the Apple TV device also don't work. Seems to only be in Plex. Works in other apps. However, Siri command for rewind and fast forward work great in Plex.

• oshingleroshingler Members Posts: 2

In that case, I think it should be raised as a known issue. For Plex support when you read this, here's your requested information:

• tvOS software version: 9.0 (13T396)
    • Plex app version1.0.1
    • Brief description of the issue or bug: Unable to fast forward or rewind using infrared remote, video drops back to previous info/play screen when a button is pressed.
    • Steps to reproduce: use an Apple TV IR remote (previous generation) or a universal remote set to mimic Apple TV, and attempt to fast forward or rewind a video using it.
  • pfipfi Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass
    edited November 2015

I have the same problem with my harmony.

And an other problem with the original remote: skip forward / skip back is 10 seconds. I think skip forward should 30 seconds?

• giorginogiorgino Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

Same issue with old Apple Remotes...
    Please fix!

• dfensomdfensom Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass
    edited November 2015

Just wanted to add, I have the same issue. I have a Logitech Harmony remote control.

• itzmeitzme Members Posts: 441 ✭✭

Same here. My gen3 remote works ok in Simple X, but not in Plex. I'm resisting trying to reprogram my universal remotes until I hear if Plex maybe planning a fix. There's a Pausing issue in the known issues sticky. Is that this issue?

• skpnsfskpnsf Members, Plex Pass Posts: 76 Plex Pass

Hey Guys, Were you able to get the Apple remote to fast forward/Rewind? I could only get it to skip forward 10 second and back 10 seconds.

@skpnsf said:
    Hey Guys, Were you able to get the Apple remote to fast forward/Rewind? I could only get it to skip forward 10 second and back 10 seconds.

Yes, on the new remote only. Play around with your thumb, sweeping it left and right and tapping to the left and right. You should see it working and get the feel.

It's just not working on the Gen3 remote for me, and my universal remote is programmed for the gen3.

I spent a hour last night trying to get it to work. I could get the 10 second skip to work by tap and hold the right to left edge of the touch pad, but no fast forward or rewind.

Someone said in once of these forums that we can use Siri for FF and RW, but haven't tried that.

I also have Harmony, that didn't work very well at all for many of the functions.

• WAYFLIXWAYFLIX Members, Plex Pass Posts: 406 Plex Pass

Same problem using my logitech Smart control remote. Wife is about to shoot me over it.

PMS: Late 2013 i7 iMac OSX 10.12.X

Storage: Drobo 5D DAS via Thunderbolt.

Connection: XFINITY 150/10, Internal Network Cat6 1GBs wired, 802.11ac wireless.

Clients: Various PMP Mac/PC, tvOS/iOS, Chromecast and Roku devices.

I wonder if we need to setup another Activity which may have compatibility with the new ATV4 remote control

• hstamashstamas Members, Plex Pass Posts: 565 Plex Pass

I can't get FF or RW to work using the new Apple TV remote either. Can only get the skip function like you said, clicking the far left and right side of the the trackpad.

@skpnsf said:
    I spent a hour last night trying to get it to work. I could get the 10 second skip to work by tap and hold the right to left edge of the touch pad, but no fast forward or rewind.

Someone said in once of these forums that we can use Siri for FF and RW, but haven't tried that.

I also have Harmony, that didn't work very well at all for many of the functions.

hstamas

I've tried several programs, some will FF and RW by swiping right and left, some will not. But, Siri seems to work on all programs. Just say "skip forward five minutes" or whatever time or direction you want.

• Manik KalraManik Kalra Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

I have the same problem. Fast forward and rewind seem to work if the media is paused but do not work when the media is currently playing. I am bought back to the home screen if I try to forward or rewind while the media is playing.

Same as @oshingler :
    Apple TV 2015, 32 GB
    Brief description of the issue or bug: Unable to fast forward or rewind using infrared remote, video drops back to previous info/play screen when a button is pressed.
    Steps to reproduce: use an Apple TV IR remote (previous generation) or a universal remote set to mimic Apple TV, and attempt to fast forward or rewind a video using it.

• fand0r1982fand0r1982 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 25 Plex Pass

Same problem for me. I use a Harmony One, which mimics an Apple TV 3 IR remote, and I can't FF/RW or skip forward/backwards. Works better in other apps. Have to wait for this to be resolved before I can switch over to this App from my current Plex client.

• dmuthdmuth Members Posts: 2

I also have this problem. Just got an Apple TV 4, official Plex client, and the Apple remote that comes with it. I can use Siri to fast forward or rewind, but can't do it any other way. :-(

• gnguyengnguyen Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

I'm having the same issues. FF and RR, skip forward and back all don't work within Plex when driven by the Harmony IR remote I'm using. I really need this for WAF, so I can retire PHT on the Mac mini as well as the Roku.

The FF and RW problems are a Plex issues as it doesn't work with the Apple remote either. The functions on the Harmony remotes are a Harmony issue. I have discovered some functions are sending the wrong commands. Page Down will skip backward and page up will skip forward. Exit will return to previous screen. . FF and RW commands both return to previous screen. I've opened a ticket with Harmony about the remote sending incorrect commands.

While FF and RW kick me out of the video in Plex, I am able to FF and RW using Simple X (which btw is great). That leads me to think that Plex can fix this problem. I hope they do.

• mrwigglesmrwiggles Members, Plex Pass Posts: 43 Plex Pass

Brand new ATV4 and can't FF or RW using new Apple Remote that came with it. Fresh install of Plex App which works fantastic (great job guys) EXCEPT for no FF or RW :-( Please fix Plex team. Not having this is a killer.