If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Apple TV 4th problem to stream any HD video...buffering problem? App Problem? Format?

Deivid_ctDeivid_ct Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello all,

I´m not used to speak in forums, but it is becoming me crazy. I was so exited with the Apple TV app for the new version, but since I have it, I could n´t watch any movie with no interruptions or cuts (my girlfriend is going to kill me 8-| ). I´m usually getting this cuts every 8-9 minutes which is weird. The movie takes to start around 5 seconds, which is not bad.

Let me share with you what I have and what I´m trying to reproduce.

Plex Server: iMAC with i7 processor and 16 gb RAM
Plex App: **Installed in Apple TV 4th generation
**Internet wireless connection :
50/50 Mbps (Netflix is working with 4k content with no issues at all). iMac(server) and apple tv in the same Wireless 5ghz.
Video: BDRip 1080p MPEG4 Video (H264) 1920×804
Audio : **AC3 5.1 640Kbps
**Subtitles:
No activated.

Seriously, I think I have tried almost everything:

• Put less resolution to the movies, with 720p is also cutting every 8-9 minutes too. No changes at all
  • Turning off Direct Play or Direct Stream, but apparently that is not working in the app right know, so there is no option.
    -Putting the resolution inside the movie from unlimited 1080p, to 8mbps 1080p. No changes at all
    -Changing in the server the decoding preferences.
    -I have nothing running in the iMac either using wireless connection.
    -If at the beginning of the movie I try to put it in pause and wait for buffering load, i get the same issue when i resume the movie, in around 10 minutes again.

My questions are :
-Could be because MKV is not 100% compatible? Would it improve to convert to mp4?
-Could be because the server does not have enough buffer? Should I change the parameters? If so, what Should I put?
-How do I know if I´m streaming or direct play? I have no indicator of what is my server doing at all.
-What else I could do!! please! #-o

I would appreciate all your help with this...and please be nice with my low technical knowledge about wireless connections, serves, etc...I´m just starting with this!!

I appreciate your time ! Thanks! Hopefully I will see a movie with no interruptions [-O<

Best Answer

Answers

• Deivid_ctDeivid_ct Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@pecinko said:
    MP4 is easy to test - use Subler app on your Mac to remux it. It will take a minute or even less.

How big is movie you are trying to play? Do you have ac5.1 capable device?

Hello! thanks for answer! I´m so lost with this...OK! I´ll do it tonight when I arrive home, let´s try to convert to MP4.

The movie is 12 gb, is a 1080p movie. About the sound, I have a dolby sorround system from Samsung, so I guess the answer is yes, it can reproduce the ac5.1, why? could be the problem something related with the sound?.

thanks a lot again! ^:)^

@pecinko said:
    MP4 is easy to test - use Subler app on your Mac to remux it. It will take a minute or even less.

How big is movie you are trying to play? Do you have ac5.1 capable device?

Unfortunately...it did not resolve the problem...it remains with the same problem with the mp4 format. I realized that the reproduction is made by direct play. Does it change anything? should work better with Streaming play?

More than confused....

• pecinkopecinko Posts: 1,072Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Direct play is used for Apple compatible files so I don't see a problem there. You can try to test it over a cable connection or try forcing local connection to, say, 1080/8M which will force transcoding on your server and make a video file smaller in order to test if WiFi connection is not limiting factor in your case.

Quartz theme for PlexConnectApp (Apple TV 4)
    Amber skin for PHT, Quartz

Just saw Apple released OS update for Apple TV4 - worth a try as well, I guess.

• donkadonka Posts: 131Members ✭✭

I have this same issue and unfortunately it appears to be an Apple TV issue. I can play the exact same movie on an iOS device or both of my Samsung TVs and it will play fine in Plex. If I try the same movie on the Apple TV it will stutter for around 20 seconds roughly every 11 minutes. I have read others on Macrumors forums with this issue and it also impacts Home Sharing which is not related to Plex. TVOS 9.01 does not resolve it and I have no feedback from beta testers if 9.1 fixes it.
    I'm returning my Apple TV for this very reason and will order it again should a future TVOS update fix it.

@pecinko said:
    Just saw Apple released OS update for Apple TV4 - worth a try as well, I guess.

Hello I already have last version...and it does not work.

@pecinko said:
    Direct play is used for Apple compatible files so I don't see a problem there. You can try to test it over a cable connection or try forcing local connection to, say, 1080/8M which will force transcoding on your server and make a video file smaller in order to test if WiFi connection is not limiting factor in your case.

Not sure if I know what you mean....so, how can I force it? where I need to put the 1080/8M? in my server? in my flex app on APTV? I have it on the apple tv, not sure where can I change it in the server.

@donka said:
    I have this same issue and unfortunately it appears to be an Apple TV issue. I can play the exact same movie on an iOS device or both of my Samsung TVs and it will play fine in Plex. If I try the same movie on the Apple TV it will stutter for around 20 seconds roughly every 11 minutes. I have read others on Macrumors forums with this issue and it also impacts Home Sharing which is not related to Plex. TVOS 9.01 does not resolve it and I have no feedback from beta testers if 9.1 fixes it.
    I'm returning my Apple TV for this very reason and will order it again should a future TVOS update fix it.

If that is the case....at least I will know that is not my problem...but, I barely read people with this problem...you, me and a couple more...I´m going to try to do it with my Samsung TV, to see if it works properly. Could you please let me know if you have additional news or tricks? if you can put the links of the forums....I would appreciate it.

Thanks booth for your answers!

I have tried everything I can think of. Wireless N, AC and Ethernet. My router is in the same room as the Apple TV ~ 3 metres line of site. I've changed playback settings from unlimited down to lower settings and the issue remains - the playback quality does not seem to have an impact. I have restarted the Apple TV, I don't have any other background activity and everything else with the Apple TV appears normal. I will attempt one final full reset tonight and just try Plex but I don't anticipate any difference.

@donka said:
    I have tried everything I can think of. Wireless N, AC and Ethernet. My router is in the same room as the Apple TV ~ 3 metres line of site. I've changed playback settings from unlimited down to lower settings and the issue remains - the playback quality does not seem to have an impact. I have restarted the Apple TV, I don't have any other background activity and everything else with the Apple TV appears normal. I will attempt one final full reset tonight and just try Plex but I don't anticipate any difference.

It is very frustrating...more for people that was waiting this device (APTV) so long to have a good service in products like Plex....I am trying the option to use Plex through the Samsung Plex app and it is working the last 30 minutes with no interruptions....so, yes, looks like a problem with the Plex app for APTV or a problem with the apple tv itself....how can we know when they update the apple tv app ? it doesn't work in the same way that in iPhone or iPad with a pool of apps to be updated, it just update the app whenever it is ready. It is a shame that you cannot either select direct play nor stream play because even having that options in the APTV app, they have recognized that it doesn't work, and doesn't matter whatever you select.....

Let me know please if you have more news...I´ll do it.

• HappyPig0HappyPig0 Posts: 318Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Did you check your HDMI cable? I had this issue recently on one of my ATV3 units. Would cut out, black screen for a few seconds then come back on. I changed the HDMI cable and all became good.

At home, I'm running a 48TB QNAP 871T 16Gb RAM serving 2 x LG 48" TVs, 4 x Samsung 42" TVs, all via Apple TV4 & Plex. Each can transcode HD MKV without any bumps all at the same time.
    4 iPads, 3 iPhones, 2 x Mac Mini & 1 iMac. So wish I had bought Apple shares years back

I have a few more things to try out tonight. I tried the SimpleX app last night but the issue remains. I then went through some different media files and got a 720p MP4 file to play without any stuttering. I'll compare 720p MKv files tonight and also try the 1080p files with a different NAS streaming app to see if there is any difference. The 1080p files should play okay before both the Samsung TV and my iOS devices can play these files via Plex perfectly. Final thing will be a full reset and just install Plex and nothing else. I don't see this being network related, I think it is to do with how the ATV caches streaming content.

@HappyPig0 said:
    Did you check your HDMI cable? I had this issue recently on one of my ATV3 units. Would cut out, black screen for a few seconds then come back on. I changed the HDMI cable and all became good.

Yes...it seems not to be the problem, since appear a loading symbol at the middle of the screen every 10-11 minutes.

@donka said:
    I have a few more things to try out tonight. I tried the SimpleX app last night but the issue remains. I then went through some different media files and got a 720p MP4 file to play without any stuttering. I'll compare 720p MKv files tonight and also try the 1080p files with a different NAS streaming app to see if there is any difference. The 1080p files should play okay before both the Samsung TV and my iOS devices can play these files via Plex perfectly. Final thing will be a full reset and just install Plex and nothing else. I don't see this being network related, I think it is to do with how the ATV caches streaming content.

What is exactly SimpleX?

But what more worry me is...I don´t see a lot of post talking about this issue...You and me and a couple more out there...so it shouldn´t be a problem of the Plex app nor Apple TV right? Again...this is so frustrating.

I watched yesterday a entire movie with any issue with Plex app for Samsung...which is much less powerful than the Apple Tv...

BTW, there is any contact support for Plex? They are not saying nothing about this, it is so frustrating....

SimpleX is an unofficial Plex client for Apple TV. It has some slightly different functionality but the streaming issue remains.

Can I check. Your issue is with 1080p MKV content? Have you tried 1080p MP4?

I tried 720P MP4 last night and it appeared to work okay - 18 minutes in with no stuttering. I'm going to try and devote a bit more time with this tonight to narrow down what does and doesn't play.

@donka said:
    SimpleX is an unofficial Plex client for Apple TV. It has some slightly different functionality but the streaming issue remains.

Can I check. Your issue is with 1080p MKV content? Have you tried 1080p MP4?

I tried 720P MP4 last night and it appeared to work okay - 18 minutes in with no stuttering. I'm going to try and devote a bit more time with this tonight to narrow down what does and doesn't play.

I´ve tried with MKV and MP4 1080p movies and in both cases the problem remains....however, both cases worked in Samsung app. I´m sick of this...

Let me know what you get...I´m going to try SimpleX but I guess the problem will stay there...

If 720p movie plays fine, you probably have a problem with your network. Your router maybe doesn't play well with atv4 or there might be a bug in current atv4 OS. I see that 9.1 update for ATV that is in beta contains some fixes for wi-fi.

@pecinko said:
    If 720p movie plays fine, you probably have a problem with your network. Your router maybe doesn't play well with atv4 or there might be a bug in current atv4 OS. I see that 9.1 update for ATV that is in beta contains some fixes for wi-fi.

But the problem with the router will be also for the samsung app...and there it is working perfect. Not sure....why some people can play simply perfect and some no... Do we know when 9.1 version will be available?

thanks!

@pecinko said:

Yes. 1080p plays fine over the same network on my different iOS devices so I'm pretty sure this is specific to the Apple TV. I ran the Speedtest App on the Apple TV and it was just under my max ISP speed of 76mbps. The 1080p movie I was streaming on my home network averages 8.24mbps so I'm ruling out a network capacity issue at the moment. The issue also happens over Ethernet so I can rule out interference.
    I've been on the phone with Apple support and they say I have up to 30 days to return the Apple TV for a full refund and not the 14 days as originally stated so I can test this a bit more before coming to a conclusion. I'm hoping 9.1 drops before then as networking is one of the changes.

@donka said:

@pecinko said:

Yes. 1080p plays fine over the same network on my different iOS devices so I'm pretty sure this is specific to the Apple TV. I ran the Speedtest App on the Apple TV and it was just under my max ISP speed of 76mbps. The 1080p movie I was streaming on my home network averages 8.24mbps so I'm ruling out a network capacity issue at the moment. The issue also happens over Ethernet so I can rule out interference.
    I've been on the phone with Apple support and they say I have up to 30 days to return the Apple TV for a full refund and not the 14 days as originally stated so I can test this a bit more before coming to a conclusion. I'm hoping 9.1 drops before then as networking is one of the changes.

You know what? Probably I will try to change my APTV by another one...probably the one we have is with that defect (that they will solve with the 9.1). Because is not normal that only some of us have that problem. What do you think?

I'll see how I go tonight and feedback. Does seem strange but the fact 9.1 has networking changes makes me think it may well be a known issue.