If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Samsung 2015 TVs and Plex

Hello there. 1st time poster in these forums, long time Plex user.

I'm out and about for a new tv and Plex is the primary factor for my choice. So far, Orca's app seems to be the best, so Samsung it will be.

I'm actually interested in european models, primarily the J5500 and J6200 series as they are decent and not too expensive for my needs (UE32J5500, UE40J6200 and alike). However, detailed tech specs are somewhat sketchy, as on all Samsung sites, it seems like all tv models with the new Tizen OS have the same generic pdf manual, so some features may or may not be supported.

The two features that are unclear whether they are supported or not are:

• 24p playback
  • HEVC (H.265) direct play

So, I am kindly asking if any of the users here actually have any of these tv models (or any of the mid-tier Samsung 2015 TVs - I suppose high-end ones do support these features - as it may be helpful to others who look out) and positively know if 24p and HEVC are supported or not for playback at Plex. European models only, as I noticed that the rtings site has somewhat different specs for models, probably because they are american (the J6200 is a totally different tv!).

My other concern, subtitles (not vobsub and such) without transcoding, is supported by Orca's app, to my understanding.

Thank you

Comments

• doverrogdoverrog Posts: 164Members ✭✭

Hi I have a Samsung UE32J5500AK tv.
    We are suffering from buffering issues with the new tvs.
    It's so bad that I can see everything fine on my iMac but on the tv, my home movies are a no-no although I can see my photos from my iMac.
    Orca is aware of the buffering issue and is sorting it out. We are all looking forward to the release of the revised version which should be soon.
    Take a look at the dedicated Samsung thread.

2015 Samsung LED UE32J5500AK

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,382Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

The 0.9.14 PMS with a fix is already available, but for now only for PlexPass users.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• alirzalirz Posts: 35Members ✭✭

Plex on a Samsung TV, or the plex home theatre on a pc, both can't seem to be able to direct play a video with a bitrate higher than 20mbos. The frame rate is very low.
    Everything is on wired gigabit lan.

• Delta1001Delta1001 Posts: 21Members ✭✭
    edited November 2015

@jack1n said:

The two features that are unclear whether they are supported or not are:

• 24p playback
    • HEVC (H.265) direct play

So, I am kindly asking if any of the users here actually have any of these tv models (or any of the mid-tier Samsung 2015 TVs - I suppose high-end ones do support these features - as it may be helpful to others who look out) and positively know if 24p and HEVC are supported or not for playback at Plex. European models only, as I noticed that the rtings site has somewhat different specs for models, probably because they are american (the J6200 is a totally different tv!).

I did a little research recently and as far as I recall only the JU / JS versions support HEVC directly.
    I do have a UE32J5500 version and it does not support HEVC, but my JU7500 does!

2013 BD-F6500 Blu-Ray,

2013 UE46F6700 LED TV

2015 UE32J5500 LED-TV

2015 UE55JU7500L UHD LED TV

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,382Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

AFAIK HEVC can be transcoded though.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• jack1njack1n Posts: 11Members ✭✭

Thanks for your comments. I ended up going to a store and trying hands on what those TVs can play or not.
    I got a UE40J6200 and it does Direct Play HEVC videos in Plex, even 60fps.
    I will test as many formats as I can and report in detail back here.

Could not find if it does truly support 24p playback, on some info panel or somewhere else, playback looks fine though.

The Plex app by Orca (downloaded from the store) is amazing, very well made, and fast in loading videos. No problem whatsoever. I am very content with the overall experience.

I am pleased to report that this TV does play (almost) all H.264 / H.265 / Xvid / DivX videos. I even dug up some old files (mov, mpg, asf, wmv, rm - in a variety of codecs) and a few times I just needed to select Direct Stream to make it play, as I have set as default player setting Direct Play.
    It does play 1080p H.264 only up to Level 4.1, although it does support 720p @ L5.1.
    1080p H.265 Main Profile was tested up to 60fps, Level 4, 8 & 10 bit depth encodings - all play fine.
    It does also support true 24fps playback, I had to do some test I found here involving a camera with manual exposure.

Practically, it only does not direct play/stream 1080p@L5 and up H.264 Files.
    Most files are direct played, while for others, like MP4 with DTS sound (which is a non-standard situation btw) I needed to select Direct Stream. I did not leave it on Auto in the app settings, cause I found that sometimes the full transcoder would kick in where it actually was not needed to.

I hope this info is useful to someone who searches for a TV to run Plex on.

I am also amazed with the app. I downloaded the beta and there it was, a new feature that I originally found missing, Audio channel names (for mkv files at least) :) Thank you.

Only thing missing (but totally can live without) are movie chapters. I’ve read on another post that Samsung does not support it, I just wonder if Plex Server actually supports chapters, as I surely don’t see them anywhere on the Web UI. You could use them to jump to the specific time of each chapter.

• robertowjrrobertowjr Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

jack1n, can you confirm that Plex is available on Samsung App Store? On the J5500 Series I ask.

There are some people saying that Plex isn't available on 2015 Samsung TVs running Tizen OS.
    They also mention that it can be installed from an usb stick, with the .zip file in it.
    Could you please clarify that? I am just waiting for the confirmation to buy a J5500.

Thanks.

• PlexhilaratedPlexhilarated Plexperimentalist Posts: 1,620Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just loaded Plex on my new (this week) J6300 Samsung 55", and it appears to be working great.
    I assume the J6300 is running Tizen, as Smart Hub looks nothing like it does on my older 40" Samsung.

My Current Plexistence:
    Server: Intel i5, 14x3TB Internal Drives, Win-10, running PMS, PlexPy, PlexWeb, PHT, PMP, Plex for Windows 
    27" Samsung Monitor and Vivitek HD/3D Projector, 10' Diagonal Fixed Screen
    Dell Laptop: Win-10, running PlexWeb, PHT, PMP, and Plex for Windows
    Samsung 55" LED TV: Samsung Plex App
    Vizio 50" UHD TV: Vizio Plex App
    Samsung 40" LED TV: Samsung Plex App
    Tablet PC: Windows 8.1 Mobile App
    Motorola Droid: Android App

Yes, it is available on Samsung App Store. You just have to download, not even sign up/login to Samsung or anything. Pretty neat.

Even if for some reason it is not available in your country, you can install latest beta from USB. The app remains on the TV even if you remove the USB drive.

I would suggest you go with the J6200 model though. The picture is better and a user mentioned that the J5500 lacks support for hevc (if that matters to you).

• PlexhilaratedPlexhilarated Plexperimentalist Posts: 1,620Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jack1n said:
    Even if for some reason it is not available in your country, you can install latest beta from USB. The app remains on the TV even if you remove the USB drive.

Oooo, is this true?
    I was under the impression that it had to remain in place.
    Could use that drive elsewhere.
    (I have the beta version on my older Samsung TV).

My Current Plexistence:
    Server: Intel i5, 14x3TB Internal Drives, Win-10, running PMS, PlexPy, PlexWeb, PHT, PMP, Plex for Windows 
    27" Samsung Monitor and Vivitek HD/3D Projector, 10' Diagonal Fixed Screen
    Dell Laptop: Win-10, running PlexWeb, PHT, PMP, and Plex for Windows
    Samsung 55" LED TV: Samsung Plex App
    Vizio 50" UHD TV: Vizio Plex App
    Samsung 40" LED TV: Samsung Plex App
    Tablet PC: Windows 8.1 Mobile App
    Motorola Droid: Android App

For models before 2015, the stick needs to stay in place, for 2015 (Tizen) models it can be removed after the installation.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

Well, this is a thread for 2015 models only. I couldn't tell anything about older ones, as I don't own any.

• DesisupermanDesisuperman Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I have a Samsung js8500 model tv and just loaded Plex onto the Tizen OS.

Most of my content is in 24p but I can't seem to verify that it's playing back at 24fps.

When I use Kodi I would see my TV switch to 24hz and I could confirm this by checking info in my tv menu. I'm unable to do this with Plex for some reason and I don't see my tv switching to 24hz.... so how does plex handle playback with 24p content on Tizen OS?

Your're not running it on Tizen if you have a 2015 model.
    Although it has Tizen, it also still supports the 'Orsay' platform. The app for your model runs on Orsay , not Tizen.
    But that aside, all the conversions are done by the TV hardware, the app doesn't mess with that.
    24p would become something like 5 x 24 = 120Hz
    What is the problem? Is the movie not shown correctly?

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• DesisupermanDesisuperman Posts: 4Members ✭✭

The picture is excellent. I just wanted to confirm that it's playing back at 24fps.

• Samcro49Samcro49 Posts: 712Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

V2.006 available for France

• godman84godman84 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I have the 2015 Samsung UN65JS8500.

I've had several issues with Plex.

1) Plex generally does not run the first time you launch the App. It will just keep loading, then turn to a grey screen. It always runs the second time you load the app.

2) Several issues with subtitles. Hard to pin point what the issue is here.

3) Unable to basically stream 4k content wireless from PC -> TV. Router and TV are 10 feet from each other. PC is wired into router. Buffers like crazy. Have tried a few different 4k files.

Orca, I believe you are about to launch 2.009 shortly - I hope you'll be able to fix these issues.
    I'd love to be a Beta tester, if you ever need someone.

Godman

@godman84,

1) that shouldn't happen. Try this: unplug the TV for a minute or two from the wallsocket, then try again.
    2) hard to address, if you can't tell me what the issue is you are having..
    3) 4K = 4X fullHD = very high bandwidth. Your Wifi probably can't handle that constantly, try plugging in a cable.

The release notes for 2.009 are here.
    There is no way to beta test on a 2015 model, since you can't install the app any other way than through the store.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• godman84godman84 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Thanks Orca.

1) I will unplug and report back what the result is after use for a bit

2) I will get back to you on the error message I receive with the subtitles shortly. Subtitles were an issue when watching Avatar and Blade Runner (old one) recently.

3) My bandwidth is very high. Stream Netflix in 4k with no issues. My internet speed is 300 mbps. When I download from the internet via Usenet, my speed is roughly 55 mb/s. The files I have tried to play are The Revenant & Batman vs. Superman. If you google them, you can find the specs of the files on the internet. Are there any settings I could modify within the Plex Server on my PC or Plex App on the TV?

Thank you.

Godman