Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Web can now Direct Play but instead the default settings make you transcode

miniopminiop Members, Plex Pass Posts: 238 Plex Pass

Hey all,

Now Web Plex can direct play the mp4 with external srt settings.
But the default settings when someone login first time to plex make them transcode the video.

Isnt possible for all the friends/users to go to settings and change the settings so they can direct play, Many people arent expirienced.

Shouldn't the default settings make all users direct play by default ?
Or give us the option to change this.

Thanks

Comments

• markus101markus101 Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 162 Plex Employee

This depends on where the user is located in relation to the server and the quality of the file.

Local is set to Original and Remote is limited to 4 Mbps 720p by default. A big factor that comes into play is the upload bandwidth from the server. Someone running a server on a slower home connection would saturate their upload speed streaming in Original quality if the file quality was above that threshold, but someone running on a dedicated server or VPS in a datacenter would be able to rely on the upload speed instead of the processor speed. The users download speed also plays a role in choosing the quality they can use, but to some degree this is less of an issue because download speeds generally exceed upload speeds.

Unfortunately there is a one-size fits all solution setting the default as it varies depending on a number of factors. I don't think allowing the server owner to specify the default for someone else's device is viable either, it could cause the default to change when switching servers.

One option to allow direct play by default would be to use Media Optimizer to optimize media for the default playback of remote friends at the cost of upfront CPU time and the ongoing cost of disk space.

• miniopminiop Members, Plex Pass Posts: 238 Plex Pass

Correct my Plex is running on a dedicate server so it get the Remote limit.
    Also the Subtitles by default is always burn instead Auto.

I dont think optimize media will work case as needed.
    As my example all my media is in mp4 format with external srt this means that are optimized to play almost everywhere are direct play.

I think the best way is to give by default the direct play or plex server owner to have the option to default choose the friends/users settings.

• markus101markus101 Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 162 Plex Employee

I dont think optimize media will work case as needed.

As my example all my media is in mp4 format with external srt this means that are optimized to play almost everywhere are direct play.

This depends on the bit rate of the file, if the bit rate exceeds the users preferences for quality it will transcode, otherwise it should direct play.

edited November 2015

almost correct but default the "Burn subtitles are always" so even if the rate isn't exceeds it transcodes the video.

Shouldn't the default setting of Burn Subtitle be Auto ?

It depends on the player being used (HTML5 or Flash), but we'll look into that. I'm not sure what we'll be able to do for the quality setting, but I've brought it up with the team so we can discuss it further.

Thanks for bringing this up.

I understand about the quality settings but the burn subtitles,i think, should be auto by default

thanks @markus101 .

• razvan.constantinrazvan.constantin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 196 Plex Pass

+1 for Automatic as default.

Sorry for necro.

• bollywbollyw Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

• alhatmyalhatmy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 47 Plex Pass

• shocker-liveshocker-live Members, Plex Pass Posts: 67 Plex Pass

• untitledHuntitledH Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

edited March 12

I have to bump this again.
    I spend an awful lot of time encoding ALL my media to mp4 with AAC stereo audio just to ease the load on my server.
    Nevertheless, PMS default settings just laughs in my face.

Please take some time to make Burn Subtitles Automatic by default.
    Remote quality would also be nice to be set to Original by default. I mean, this is a streaming service not a BBS from the dialup era.

Or, at least save these settings on the account, not in cookies. Many users change browsers or clear cookies at system start, making a real pain to set Plex Web's settings every time.

I guess not enough people are using Plex Web ...

OK. Seeing that this does not seem to affect the required number of people to get some traction from Plex team, I spent a bit of time getting to the bottom of this.

Warning: always backup any file you modify! Future updates will most likely overwrite these modifications, so remember to apply them again after a PMS update.

This is tested and works on Linux Plex Media Server 1.5.5.3634 (Ubuntu 64bit). You don't need to restart the service for settings to take effect.
    Tested with Firefox and Chrome clients on Windows.
    This ONLY affects default settings. If the user already modified anything on the Player settings page and clicked Apply, it will not take effect. (most likely stored in a cookie)
    If the user did NOT yet modify anything on the Player settings page, the new settings will be applied (the ones we are trying to set below).
    Given that most users don't setup anything on the Player settings page (even when asked nicely), chances are pretty good that the new values will take effect.
    In case the user DID setup the Player settings page, a browser cleanup (cookies, temporary files, etc) will do the trick and the new settings will take effect.

On PMS machine, navigate to /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-995f1dead/WebClient.bundle/Contents/Resources/js. The sub-folder Plug-ins-995f1dead might be named randomly, I am not sure, so in case you cannot find this path, just cd to /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/ and enter the only Plug-ins-???? sub-folder you can find. Follow the rest of the path mentioned above.
    Inside the js sub-folder there are 3 .js files.
    You need to open the one named main.SomeRandomCharsIThink.js with a plain text editor (Again, I am not sure those characters are random, but you can't miss it; there are only 3 files)
    You can use mc (apt-get intall mc) and use it's editor to make your life a bit easier.(press F4 on the file to edit)

To set default Remote Quality to Original instead of 4 Mbps 720p
    1. Search for remoteQuality:8 and replace with remoteQuality:-1

To set default Burn Subtitles to Automatic instead of Always
    1. Search for subtitlesBurnLevel:l.a.ALWAYS and replace with subtitlesBurnLevel:l.a.Automatic
    2. Search for {useSoftSubtitles:!1}:i===v.a.ALWAYS and replace with {useSoftSubtitles:!1}:i===v.a.Automatic

The above modifications will allow MP4 files encoded with H264, AAC stereo audio, SRT subtitles and Web Optimized to be direct streamed instead of hurting your server resources. Other file types, codecs and settings might be able to be direct played/streamed, but this is what I know to work with Plex.
    Also, setting the remoteQuality:-1 will allow high bitrate media to be direct played on Plex Web instead of being limited to 4 Mbps by default. For some reason, even smaller than 4 Mbps media was being transcoded without this setting.
    I am still not sure why Plex Team does not allow us to set these defaults. I can understand If a user is on a limited bandwidth network or using a low end(slow) device and specifically sets the quality to a lower value than the original source that the server should transcode. But making this the default?
    I spend an awful lot of time and effort encoding all my media to the above mentioned format only to be shoot in the foot by weird Plex Web defaults. if you are in the same boat, I hope the above modifications will help.

@razvan.constantin amazing work !

Do you know where to find the file and folder with a windows system ?

Thanks

edited April 19

I guess you can try searching for a .js file named main.blahblah.js
    Never installed PMS on Windows, but it cannot be too different than linux...me thinks :)

• louislaulouislau Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass