Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Chromecast with Windows 10?

rjcarlsonmdrjcarlsonmd Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just "upgraded" from Windows Home Premium 7 to Windows 10. Plex no longer works with Chromecast, even though the Chromecast work fine with everything else.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the server, but no luck.

This definitely has to be a Plex/Win10 issue. Plex still works to the Roku3, just not the Chromecast.

Has anyone solved this one before?

Thanks,

R Carlson MD

Answers

• tomatosmoothietomatosmoothie Posts: 80Members ✭✭

:S Ordered some chromecasts and am on windows 10. What exactly happens when you cast or does the cast icon not show up. Sharing the maximum amount of info. will help the ppl. who dev pinpoint and resolve easily.

• StartkabelsStartkabels Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If you're on Windows 10 and have a Chromecast you will have to use Plex web in Chrome and use the Chromecast extension to cast. I have a Plex Server on a Windows 10 computer, a Win 10 phone with the Plex Player app (owned Android before) and already owned a Chromecast and a TV w/o DLNA support.
    It's too bad that Chromecast is not supported by the Plex player app for Windows 10 or by built-in Win 10 functionality for that matter.
    I'm thinking about switching from a Chromecast to the Microsoft WIDI adapter or using a laptop with PHT on it instead. I'm currently testing the Plex Media Player app for Windows but it can't find any players. There are 3 Plex players (2 Win 10 phones and PHT on Win 10). From the server I can send to the 2 phones though, not the PHT which is installed on the same machine as the server...

• markus101markus101 Posts: 213Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I'm not seeing any issues casting to Chromecast with PMS (0.9.12.19) running on Windows 10.

I tested from Chrome (46.0.2490.86) on Windows 10 as well as Android and iOS.

• StartkabelsStartkabels Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@markus101 said:
    I'm not seeing any issues casting to Chromecast with PMS (0.9.12.19) running on Windows 10.

I tested from Chrome (46.0.2490.86) on Windows 10 as well as Android and iOS.

Think he's referring to Chromecast support in the Win 10 Plex app:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/182688/chromecast-support

• rjcarlsonmdrjcarlsonmd Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for all the comments.

Trying to run the Plex app on the same Windows 10 machine instead of the Web app also doesn't work because of some separate loopback issue.

The problem remains that Plex on the server pc won't cast either using the cast buttons on the Web app or the Chrome extension. The TV screen goes to Chromecast and the Plex prompt comes up saying to select some Plex content, but when content is selected, it never plays.

Using the same server running Windows 10, I can cast Plex content from iOS and android devices, and even other pc's fine, it's just Plex just won't cast from the PC which has the server on it. It used to work fine, until I "upgraded" to Windows 10. Time to go back to Window 7, I guess.

All other Chromecast compatible apps seem to work fine on the Windows 10 machine, just not Plex casting to the Chrome Chromecast extension.

Weird.

-- R Carlson MD

• markus101markus101 Posts: 213Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

What state is the plugin showing in your browser? Does it error out when connecting?

Occasionally (and only with my 2013 Chromecast) the plugin tells me Plex failed to load even though the Chromecast is working fine, if I click on the plugin, select the Chromecast again and then tell it to cast localhost it connects and playback works, if I don't force it to connect, playing anything in the browser it just plays locally.

• abhay.s.zambare@gmail.comabhay.s.zambare@gmail.com Posts: 1Members

their are various option to chromecast from windows 10 laptop you can explore more information here on chromecast