If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Comparison

tjenvytjenvy Posts: 9Members ✭✭

SO I am a long time Kodi user. I switched to Apple TV and PlexConnect a few years ago. I am now using Plex with the new Apple TV 4. Just recently, MrMC (kodi derivation) was released. So I purchased it to do some comparison.

Firstly, content type/audio is no problem, and its FAST. So let me explain.

A track with H4.1 and AC3 1080p.
-Plex, buffers a little, apparently sometimes transcodes the audio, just depends. (and yes direct play/stream is on)
-MrMc, gives an option for passthrough, no lag, not buffer, and fast forward and rewind, jumping chapters, 0 lag time and no buffering.

I then decided to try a track with DTS as I know Apple tv native can't play it.

-Plex = Transcoding on server
-MrMc = Passthrough to receiver, no increased CPU cycles to do this on server.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not trying to bash on Plex at all, however, I think the plex team could benefit from downloading this app and testing for comparison. The passthrough option that has always been present on Kodi is an amazing thing. Previous apple tv's could not play the content but had to use the systems limitations and the server to make it more agreeable to the Apple TV. Its now been proven that we can run native and passthrough the audio instead of letting the apple tv do the decoding. This makes for such a better experience. I am still not moving to MrMc but I hope the plex team can look into this. If we can tell the Plex app to do passthrough instead of whats native to the box, it would be amazing.

On a side note, can we get rid of the easter pastel color scheme? lol

Answers

• Dhanraj palaniDhanraj palani Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
  • tjenvytjenvy Posts: 9Members ✭✭

I would like to but....

Clicking that link brings me here:

Permission Problem

You don't have permission to do that.

However, bringing FFMPEG will bring direct play on the device, however I am not too sure how thats going to affect passthrough.. So one out of two options yes I see.

• itzmeitzme Posts: 448Members ✭✭

I've been experimenting with MrMC tool. I totally agree with your observations. I love their video player and that it offers DTS. I don't like the MrMC interface, compared to Plex. So now I find myself browsing in Plex and then going to MrMC to watch the video. Sigh. I'd gladly pay (1 time) a similar price to Plex if they gave me the best of both worlds.

• truespintruespin Posts: 165Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@tjenvy that is a Plex Pass forum, so you won't have access unless you're a subscriber

• VlavesVlaves Posts: 87Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass

@itzme said:
    I don't like the MrMC interface, compared to Plex.

Seems like pecinko (skin dev) will be joining there to give MrMC a great look and as we all know from his Skins here, it is gonna be looking great.

Then the Plex Player is obsolete for me, altough I*m a Plex Pass Member, still the playing capabilities are really bad...if at least the Information reg. Watched status would updated without having to press the refresh button, I could live withg the server side transcoding...

Best regards
    Vlaves

I'm not familiar with how different skins in the future will improve the experience, but I'd be ready to move to MrMC (mainly just to get DTS) if I could find a MrMC view that let me browse movies better. I want to see the same meta-date I get in plex, like the Rotten Tomato ratings, sample critic reviews, description, cast, etc. And I'd like to see all that elegantly, without knowing what to click and how.

I also want to see "Newly Added" and "Continue Watching" in the top shelf. Getting into MrMC is clumsy for me, to get to my preferred view each time. Even getting out of the MrMC app is awkward and makes me think I've messed it up for the next time I go into it.

• EdPentelowEdPentelow Posts: 94Members ✭✭

MrMC is so ugly. Looks like the interface from a 90's Sega game.

• DavisNLDavisNL Posts: 665Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There is about a gajillion threads in this forum dedicated to pointing out that non-native players could be a benefit to Plex. Pretty sure the developers are aware of this. Would be nice if the commented on it though. :)

@EdPentelow said:
    MrMC is so ugly. Looks like the interface from a 90's Sega game.

True, but if I'm understanding what I read at their forums, new skins are in development. Correct me if I'm wrong Kodi folks, but a new skin would not only change the look and feel, but also largely change the way we interact. I think TVos and Plex-like looks and feels could be coming soon. TBH, I'll go with whoever lets me browse easily and offers DTS, be it MrMC or Plex.

• T'hain Esh KelchT'hain Esh Kelch Posts: 402Members ✭✭✭

How is MrMC these days, compared to the regular Plex client? There seems to be so many issues with Plex on Apple TV these days that get completely ignored by the developers, that it is worth looking at alternatives, if possible.

• JMGNYCJMGNYC Posts: 104Members ✭✭

MrMC is good at playback but I cannot stand the UI. I prefer Infuse overall.

• jayz78jayz78 Posts: 192Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

MrMC just launched a new skin (check out their forums for screenshots as it's in beta currently V3.1) and I've been running it. It's a simple one more inline with Apple TV ethos than Kodi.

MrMC still absolutely destroys Plex in reliability! It's super fast, plays anything you throw at it and is not the bug infested sespool like Plex.

Most importantly, their developers are super friendly, very helpful on forums and dedicated to listening to users and added requests.

If you use the Plex add on inside MrMC then you can seamlessly use both as its just like another Plex client. I now use MrMC more and more to play things than keep breaking on Plex's native buggy and almost ignored Apple TV client.

jayz78 is spot on! On the ATV I tend to browse in Plex and play in MrMc.

How does MrMc compare to Infuse? Any benefits?

• zaph47zaph47 Posts: 113Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I wish the Plex devs would follow in Infuse's footsteps and allow for Dolby and DTS playback. Being able to play DTS-MA/Dolby TrueHD through Plex app on an AT4 would make it the perfect player.

What if it was a PlexPass only feature? Or even an add-on for those willing to pay?

I think they should follow suit with Infuse. If the next gen ATV has DTS etc I suppose they will. No, I'm not willing to pay as long as MrMc and Infuse offer free alternatives.

You need to par for MrMc and Infuse as far as I know.