Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Windows App Stuttering on playing some mkv video

amcghieamcghie Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've looked through the forums and haven't seen anyone else complain about this but since around November I've noticed the PLEX player for Windows stutters and pauses on certain files (seems to be some mkv's while not others)
Using the Plex in chrome works fine with the same file , of note these files are direct play and not transcoded.
Using mediainfo to try to figure out what the problem could be has been non conclusive as there doesn't seem to be a common codec in the container I can point to.
I'm surprised nobody else has reported this, it's happening on my surface pro 3 as well as the my tower 6700K/ amd R290X full PC so it's not a processor issue it's something with the 'Universal' part of Windows and playback in Plex since it's not affecting Chrome/Firefox.
Has anyone noticed or looking into this?

Best Answer

Answers

• pombeirppombeirp Windows Team Lead SwitzerlandPosts: 1,884Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

That coincides roughly with the time where we migrated to a new HLS transcoder stack (from Microsoft). I haven't heard about any problems with it from users so far though. Can you please send me the logs so I can have a better understanding of what is happening?

QNAP TS-253 Pro (x86)

• WigsterWigster Posts: 59Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,
    Indeed I am also seeing the same thing, probably since about 3 weeks ago with some MKV files.

I have Windows 10. The file plays fine in both the Edge browser, Firefox and the Microsoft Film & TV UWP app. In Plex App it stutters and pauses.

I have just generated a Network Log for about 3 minutes. I hope it's enough. My username is Wigster.

Hope it helps!

• amcghieamcghie Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The stuttering I notice is usually at the start from 0-20 seconds then random times during playback. Annoyingly it's only certain mkvs that don't neccesarily have anything in common. One thing I do notice is the stuttering is worse on the surface pro than my tower 6700K proc so perhaps it is something related to processer decode. Again it plays fine in Chrome.
    Here is an example where the stuttering is around 0-10 seconds, attached.
    Reviewing the log myself I don't see anything is there a more verbose way to log?

• o_springo_spring Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I do not know if it is the same problem but I am experiencing recently stuttering when playing offline1080p/4-6 Mbps synchronized video (encoded from 1:1 bluray rip / MKV encapsulated). Running on a laptop Windows 10 (1511 version) x64/ 4 Go Ram/ core 2 duo (centrino platform) / nvidia 8600M GT.
    Sometimes navigating backward in the video or reboot the PC let it play without problem. CPU or RAM does not seems to be saturated when the problem occurs.

• winteredwintered Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So this problem is definitely related to build 1511 on the Surface Pro 4 - Core m3 edition. I don't see the same problem on my other desktop computers.

I was seeing a number of issues, and both Plex and the built in "Movies & TV" performed the same. Movies that just displayed a blank screen and other movies that played at 1 frame / second.

I have since rolled back the latest build, and now everything works perfectly now. I hope this doesn't mean I am now stuck on the older version forever :(

• winteredwintered Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@pombeirp said:
    That coincides roughly with the time where we migrated to a new HLS transcoder stack (from Microsoft). I haven't heard about any problems with it from users so far though. Can you please send me the logs so I can have a better understanding of what is happening?

Just noticed this, however as I rolled back to pre 1511 and the problem went away, I'm not sure they are related. Also the built in "Movies & TV" has the exact same problem. Everything plays fine in Windows Media Player though.

• pombeirppombeirp Windows Team Lead SwitzerlandPosts: 1,884Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Yeah, "Movies & TV" is a Windows Store app, so it uses the same platform as Plex. Windows Media Player however is a Win32 app which will use a completely different approach.

QNAP TS-253 Pro (x86)

• JSSRJSSR Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Glad I found this thread, I've been troubleshooting for a few days and also determined that Windows 10 Update 1511 seems to be the problem.

Running a Surface Pro 3 as a client and unable to play most 1080p MKV's in the app or in edge. If I use internet explorer it works perfectly.

I can't roll back from 1511 as I used a windows 10 ISO that had 1511 installed already, but I did a factory reset to win 8.1 and plex app runs fine.

As the first poster mentioned this is happening with direct steam (no transcode). If you lower the settings in the plex app (in Win 10 - 1511) to around 4mb 720p most files will play, but who wants to do that!

In the meantime you can either go to 1511 or use Chrome / Internet Explorer until Microsoft / Plex look into the issue.

Plex team let me know if you need any log files.

• avowavow Posts: 11Members ✭✭

Same problem here with a Windows 10 1511 build. Turning off direct play seems to fix the issue but then I run into performance issues. I am just going to use the web player for right now.

• amcghieamcghie Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As posters have stated after me I did neglect to post what build I was using and it is in fact 1511. I really don't feel like reverting so I've been dealing with watching plex in the chrome browser which is the only way it works. It eats a lot of battery is one complaint but I would think that's due to chrome not being optimized for video playback with a SP3.
    It seems support for the plex app on the windows app store is probably too difficult because of all the different machine types / windows builds out there so I'm beginning to think it will always be subpar to the app on the other platforms.

• JSSRJSSR Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2016

@amcghie said:
    As posters have stated after me I did neglect to post what build I was using and it is in fact 1511. I really don't feel like reverting so I've been dealing with watching plex in the chrome browser which is the only way it works. It eats a lot of battery is one complaint but I would think that's due to chrome not being optimized for video playback with a SP3.
    It seems support for the plex app on the windows app store is probably too difficult because of all the different machine types / windows builds out there so I'm beginning to think it will always be subpar to the app on the other platforms.

Hi Amcghie. I disagree that the Plex App is sub par on windows. It receives constant updates and in my experience has been performing well over the past few years until this point.

I think you'll find this is an issue relating to how 1511 treats modern apps because the issue is also replicable in the Microsoft Edge Internet Brower (another modern app).

I'm sure the plex team will figure this out with time but it would likely require a server fix as they don't have much control over updating Microsoft Edge!

• endiZendiZ Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just switched plex servers recently so I thought my new setup was sub-optimal! Thankfully i found this thread... looking forward to a fix. Thanks Plex dev team!

• grunger106grunger106 Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

I'm seeing this too,
    Start playing even a 720p MKV, it stutters like mad at the start, works for a bit, looks like its attempting to buffer and then tells me I don't have enough bandwidth/grunt to keep up with the stream.

Windows 10 1511 on Surface3 and HP Stream7 - MKVs stutter via Plex App.
    Server is HP Microserver G8 with a LACP trunk to my primary switch.
    Both devices are wirelss (Obviously ;) ) But one is bandsteared to 5Ghz, and the other is on 2.4Ghz

Same MKV plays fine direct via WMP

Disabling DirectPlay does work, however good thought the little HP M/S G8 is transcoding high bitrate MKVs is not really its thing!

For what its worth the Xbox app works perfectly, however this is a different code branch than the Win10 if I'm not mistaken?
    I do have Plex Win10 on my desktop, but I've not tested much with that

• JDIacobboJDIacobbo Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am also having this issue on a Surface Pro 3 i5/128GB running Windows 10 1511. This is also happening on my W10 desktop as well. Oddly enough, on my desktop, when set to Original the video stutters, but if I cahnge the quality to 4Mbps 720p it plays fine, even though Plex still reports that the video is Direct playing.

• wessockwessock Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@DJShadow said:
    I am also having this issue on a Surface Pro 3 i5/128GB running Windows 10 1511. This is also happening on my W10 desktop as well. Oddly enough, on my desktop, when set to Original the video stutters, but if I cahnge the quality to 4Mbps 720p it plays fine, even though Plex still reports that the video is Direct playing.

Same exact computer here. Plex was working fine last night on Windows 8.1. Upgraded to Windows 10 today, tested the show that I watched in Plex last night and now it stutters like mad, unwatchable.

• sting2014sting2014 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

can confirm stuttering issues as well since upgrading to latest plex pass build - windows 10

• merrickwmerrickw Posts: 7Members ✭✭

Was using the web app on my Windows 10 Lenovo tablet, and it worked just fine. Thought it would be nice to try the actual Windows Store app. Lo and behold, my videos stutter and it's unusable. Back to the free web app.

• dejp1993dejp1993 Posts: 3Members ✭✭

+1 Windows 10 store app stutters terribly. I really hope Plex can fix this without having to defer/wait for Microsoft. I use Plex for its ease of organization and awesome support of movie extras (I don't care about streaming nearly as much) so a good desktop app is of primary importance to me.

• dejp1993dejp1993 Posts: 3Members ✭✭

@pombeirp please let me know if there's anything I can do to help, (i.e. if you still need logs, etc).

@dejp1993 what version of the app are you running?

QNAP TS-253 Pro (x86)