If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sort by Folder

garywellsgarywells Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi
Can we please, please please get an option to sort videos by folder. I was thrilled to see the option to sort is now available but sort by folder is really the only type of sorting I personally want to see.

Can you please tell me that this is at least coming in the future I have been waiting for this forever :)

Answers

• kmconstablekmconstable Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Agreed and why is this not a universal app? Or maybe it is and that feature does not work on XB1? My wife will hate it until folders arrive, plus no real search function is just wow. Still have the feeling this may be OS limitation.

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Posts: 977Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Search and folder view are both on the feature parity list, so will be addressed over time.

I'm also interested (from another perspective) what situation you find folder view useful? Is it for personal media, or do you have your movies/TV shows organised in such a way that folder view is the most sensible?

XB1 does not yet support universal apps - it's still running an XB1 specific client.

Thanks!

• mbarylskimbarylski Posts: 356Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 for folder view, but for me it's only for personal media (home videos and pictures). At the moment I don't use Plex for home videos and pictures, but probably would if folder view was enabled since I'd be able to view photos and videos by date. A lot of my pictures are scanned which throws off "sort by date" unless I use folders which I've already organized by date.

Another nice feature change would be to allow videos and pictures in the same library. If I'm watching a slide show of a particular family holiday, I'd like the videos and pictures of that event to be together. That's why I currently use OneDrive on the Xbox One for slide shows. OneDrive is slow though...Plex would be better, but I don't plan on switching until at least folder view is available. The icing on the cake would be videos and pictures in the same library. :)

• garywellsgarywells Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For me it's strictly for personal media folder

• Markus & EddaMarkus & Edda Posts: 235Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@garywells said:
    For me it's strictly for personal media folder

Same here

• BLACKPANTHERVIIBLACKPANTHERVII Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I really need a sort by folder, Accessing my anime library with thousands of episodes which are not all named correctly but are in sorted folders which I need to sort this problrm. Please give us sort by folder on xbox one like it is available on PC etc...

• chadgronbachchadgronbach Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I would really like to see better folder support everywhere. I don't understand how this is not a first release feature of all the players? Isn't folder organization the oldest and most commonly used format for organizing your content? How else would you do it? Example: I have a folder called PhotoAlbums. Under that is a folder for each year. Under each year I have folders for all the main events of the year and the root of that folder are all my best photos of the year that don't fit into an event.

My main issue is that even on content that shows folders it does not put folders first. It mixes them in with the files. So, I'll have a couple of folders 100 pictures then some folders mixed in depending on their names. Folders should always come first then the content in the folders.

I like Plex, but I'll tell you I really miss my Microsoft Media Center (RIP). That was hands down the best UI. Getting used to Tivo, but still not nearly as good. Wish someone would just copy that UI.... :)

• scatrmanscatrman Posts: 1Members

im like folder view too....it very useful about when a movie is split and you have numbers for filename. The Folder is the Movie Name. It were great when the feature will comes....

• cayarscayars Posts: 4,217Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited January 2016

For me it's for personal (non movie/tv show) content. However, it's not just "personal" per say.

However, I would like an option in "home" to emulate content using folders on the server. By this I mean the client has no idea it's a folder or just meta-data. This way if done ON THE SERVER it would work with all clients. This would also allow "grandma" to traverse the folders just like she does TV Shows and Movies without having to figure out what "filters" are and how they work. Some people are hardware illiterate and I'd prefer a simpler "server" solution over a client solution OR IN ADDITION to.

This would be real useful in situations like the following:

Education Library
    \Education\Programming\C#
    \Education\Programming\VB.NET
    \Education\Programming\PHP
    \Education\Math\Pre-Algebra
    \Education\Math\Algebra I
    \Education\Math\Algebra II
    \Education\Math\Trig
    \Education\Music\Theory
    \Education\Music\Guitar
    \Education\Music\Piano

Personal
    \Vacation\Paris 10-09
    \Vacation\Italy 7-10
    \Vacation\Italy 2-11
    \Vacation\Grand Canyon
    \Holiday\Christmas 09
    \Holiday\Christmas 10
    \Holiday\Christmas 11
    \Holiday\Easter 10
    \Holiday\Easter 11
    \Holiday\Easter 12

Sports
    \NFL\2012\Week 1
    \NFL\2012\Week 2
    \NFL\2012\Week 3
    \NFL\2015\Week 1
    \NFL\2012\Week 2
    \NCAA\Football\UCLA\Week 1
    \NCAA\Football\UCLA\Week 2
    \NCAA\Football\Pitt\Week 5
    \NCAA\Football\Pitt\Week 6

I realize a few of these examples go deeper than a typical "show\season" type layout but this would be extremely useful.

Carlo

10K+ Movies, 400 Shows - 33K+ TV Episodes, 400 Christmas Movies, 405 Documentary, 290 3D Movies, 1300 NFL Games, 1280 Educational Videos, Premium Music: 215K+ Tracks, 775 GB Plex Meta-Data.
    Thread on my setup with some tips and tricks: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/131308/cayars-setup-walk-through-and-some-tips-and-tricks/p1
  • Dom CDom C Plex Employee Posts: 977Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Thanks for all that - that's really useful info for us!

• cayarscayars Posts: 4,217Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

There is a lot of different types of content that could fit it some type of "directory" structure like the above.
    I've replicated it on my system using a few 3rd party agents but it's a real pain in the but. It would be great to have this type of functionality built in.

Carlo

PS @Dom C if you want to see how this could look on a live system let me know and I'll shoot you over a share.

10K+ Movies, 400 Shows - 33K+ TV Episodes, 400 Christmas Movies, 405 Documentary, 290 3D Movies, 1300 NFL Games, 1280 Educational Videos, Premium Music: 215K+ Tracks, 775 GB Plex Meta-Data.
    Thread on my setup with some tips and tricks: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/131308/cayars-setup-walk-through-and-some-tips-and-tricks/p1
  • Euler13Euler13 Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Dom C: I'm still new to Plex, but I absolutely love it. You're doing a great job. Although I probably didn't post it in the best place at the time I recently I posted a question related to this issue and it addresses your question of how/why folder view would be useful. If it's any help you can check it out here:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/204110/organising-by-folders

• crazedhattercrazedhatter Posts: 1Members

@Dom C said:
    Search and folder view are both on the feature parity list, so will be addressed over time.

I'm also interested (from another perspective) what situation you find folder view useful? Is it for personal media, or do you have your movies/TV shows organised in such a way that folder view is the most sensible?

XB1 does not yet support universal apps - it's still running an XB1 specific client.

Thanks!

Folder view is absolutely critical, pretty much my entire organizational structure for media is folder based - I have personal media broken out by year, month and day that it was created/acquired, and I have a large volume of media that is essentially randomized as it currently stands, especially since the 'ACQUIRED' bit is important, many files don't share the date structure that they're broken out to in folders, which means they wind up in a completely different area using the sort options that are currently available.

It is of the utmost importance that Folder View be made available, I'm a recent join to Plex because I had hoped it would be the solution I looked for - my primary purpose is to stream to XBOne, though I intend to use other devices as well, quite honestly, without Folder View I don't envision this being the solution I hoped it would be.

• deon10deon10 Posts: 3Members ✭✭

I just want to echo everybody else's statement that a lack of folder view makes my video collection completely useless. Thank you for bringing the app to Xbox. Looking forward to starting to use it when you implement this feature

• deon10deon10 Posts: 3Members ✭✭

I see that I can't edit my previous post so i'll post examples of my videos, which are mostly educational (business, etc)

Author>Seminar name>Day 1>Videos 1-6

Day 2>Videos 1-6
    Day 3>Videos 1-6
    Day 4>Videos 1-6
    Day 5>Videos 1-6

Author>Seminar name 2>Day 1>Videos 1-6

Day 2>Videos 1-6
    Day 3>Videos 1-6
    Day 4>Videos 1-6
    Day 5>Videos 1-6

Author>Audiobook name>Cd 1>Tracks 1-10

Cd 2>Tracks 1-10
    Cd 3>Tracks 1-10
    Cd 4>Tracks 1-10

This structure is completely non-navigable when you have 100 authors, with each a couple of seminars/audiobooks/courses, each of them with different folders linking to different days/topics/CDs/etc

Thanks!

• allfatherwodenallfatherwoden Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Please support folder sorting in the Xbox 360 Plex app.

I just started using Plex as an alternative to Windows Media Server. Folder-sort works in Android app, but not in in the Xbox 360 app. This is very frustrating because I have already carefully organized all of my content using nested folders on my Windows 7 machine, and I dread the onerous task of duplicating that effort via Plex libraries just so I can easily find what I want to watch on the Xbox 360 Plex app. Even if I were to set up Plex libraries in the same structure as my folders, the Plex libraries would instantly be out of sync with my current folder-based organizational structure were I to change any of the folders. Updating the Xbox 360 Plex app to represent the native folder-based organization of the media is a better solution.

QUESTION: Is there a targe date for implementing this folder sort feature in Xbox 360 and/or Xbox One?

• mrbofusmrbofus Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Dom C said:

Thanks!

So it's been over 8 months now...is sorting by folder ever going to happen? It seems kind of crazy that you can do it on Android, iOS, OS X, Windows, etc...but not here. Even your own website says you can: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/208050807-Navigating-the-App

• TephlonTephlon Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2016

@mrbofus said:

So it's been over 8 months now...is sorting by folder ever going to happen? It seems kind of crazy that you can do it on Android, iOS, OS X, Windows, etc...but not here. Even your own website says you can: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/208050807-Navigating-the-App

That article is talking specifically about Plex Media Player, which is not the same as the Xbox App. But I agree, this feature is important.
    Unfortunately, the xbox app update submission process creates lots of kinks in their timeline, so development of the Xbox app will likely always lag behind other players.

@chadgronbach said:
    I would really like to see better folder support everywhere. I don't understand how this is not a first release feature of all the players? Isn't folder organization the oldest and most commonly used format for organizing your content? How else would you do it?

I think the unfortunate truth is that most people are using plex with content that works well with libraries, and all the available metadata scrapers that are available for that content make it super simple to setup and 'just work'.
    In theory, with good metadata and sort/view options libraries are hard to beat, and much easier than keeping things organized and navigated in folders.
    This doesn't mean I discount anyone's preference for folder view, nor does it address the content where library view gets tedious (like the 100+ episode season of anime like mentioned earlier).

So I can see why they can feel it's ok to release a player without a folder view. My guess is that most of their users don't need a folder view. But I also understand how baffling it must seem to those who count on folder views to get to their content efficiently. I suspect, unfortunately, that folder-view users are in a minority, so that feature doesn't make the cut before release.

I can only hope that we see it added in the next update.

I also wonder if the advent of windows universal apps has caused a problem in Plex for XBO's development. Is the XBO a good candiate for a UWA? How long would it take to make the current UWA app work on the XBO? How much resources do we dedicate to maintaining the current app if something different is coming?

I don't mean to act as if these are unanswerable questions. But I'm sure there's more to the XBO app release schedule than many people might think.

• mrbofusmrbofus Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Tephlon said:

That article is talking specifically about Plex Media Player, which is not the same as the Xbox App. But I agree, this feature is important.
    Unfortunately, the xbox app update submission process creates lots of kinks in their timeline, so development of the Xbox app will likely always lag behind other players.

I could be wrong, but I thought UWP apps have been on Xbox for over a month now; I think Netflix and MSN Weather came out as UWP apps on Xbox last month.

And even that aside, for Plex employees to tell us it's coming soon and then have no updates 8-9 months later is kind of...sucky.

• TephlonTephlon Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I agree. There should be some news on folder view, and their complete silence on it is... sucky. Last we heard from a dev (that I know of) they said that folder view sat in priority just behind sort and filters. Since those are now in the app we can only hope that folder view is next.

The current app isn't built on UWP and it isn't as simple as "clicking a button" to port old Xbox Apps to the new system.
    The UWP Plex app currently available for Windows 10 devices isn't designed (yet) for 10ft interfaces, so I wouldn't expect them to push their UWP app to the xbox any time soon.
    Whether they plan to eventually make the UWP run on the xbox one is anybody's guess. I suppose we'll have to wait for word from them on this as well.