If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex randomly playing radio...

Evening,

Something has gone awry with Plex on my Samsung Smart TV (UE40H6400)...it randomly plays radio (specifically BBC 6 Music) everytime it is launched??

I've searched high and low but can't find any reason for it! It is really stubborn too; if you load up a show or movie before the radio has kicked in, the video will go black, the audio from the show will stop, and 6 Music will take over.

It sounds ridiculous but it's really becoming a pain! Don't get me wrong, I like a bit of 6music, but ideally when I choose to listen to it!

Has anyone got any bright ideas?! I've updated both the server on my Mac and the App on the TV...no joy...

Answers

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,382Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Maybe the HDMI output is switching your amp to radio?
    The app will never start playing any radio station, because it can't do that.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• donecandonecan Posts: 6Members ✭✭

HDMI auto switching sounds like a possiblity...will take a look and report back...

Strange though since the amp doesn't have the DAB ability to pick up BBC 6Music...so it's getting it from the TV somehow, seems like a SmartHub glitch...

I've investigated more and I'm still confused.

The amp definitely isn't involved…with everything unplugged (amp, all other boxes, consoles etc.), so it's just the TV on, it still happens. The radio is coming from the TV, but the weird part: only when Plex is loaded.

Once you load Plex, if you wait approx. 1 minute (always the same amount of time) the radio will start to play in the background of Plex. If you're just in the menu at this point you can carry on moving around the menus and select your content. At this point the radio stops when the content kicks in. If you've set content playing before that 1 minute, it will play fine until that minute is up and suddenly the screen will go black and the radio plays (always BBC 6 Music). You can then click back to the Plex menu, start the show/ film again and it will stop the radio.

All very strange and I can't figure out why it's doing it! Any ideas would be great!

• almeidagplexalmeidagplex Posts: 1Members Plex Pass

It's happening the same here! When starting plex in my samsung smart tv, it starts with a radio sound, portuguese radio btw. It looks like it's something to do with my tv set top box.
    It keeps playing until i start watching any movie or tv show.
    Very weird...

I figured it out in the end, I got to the point where I was 100% sure it was the TV so I uninstalled every app that could play music or radio on the TV. I know I had TuneIn radio installed and one other radio app that was a bit clunky. Sorted, Plex no longer plays radio, ever, so that's fixed it (must've been a conflict between the two apps?) I now need to install TuneIn radio again (as I like to use it) and see which app was the culprit!

• PauliosPaulios Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm so glad it isn't just me!!!!
    Now, any chance you found out exactly which app it was there donecan?
    I'll see what i can discover.
    The radio suddenly starts and overrides a programme as we are watching it last night! I must fix it.
    These TVs suck royally. Clouding, crashing, crap OS, even worse app options and the usual samsung restrictions on doing what you like... oh I wish my £1200 had gone to LG.