If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex for Xbox One leaves Plex Pass Preview

Dom CDom C Plex EmployeePosts: 979Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I'm pleased to announce that the app has graduated from its preview period today, alongside PlayStation:

https://plex.tv/xbox

If you've been part of the preview so far - thank you!

Of course we'll continue to listen to you all and work on improving the app even more - so let us know on what we need to do to make Plex even better for you.

Thanks!

Dom

Comments

• adamskoogadamskoog Posts: 2,379Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Sweet!!!!!

• mike4001mike4001 Posts: 556Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Btw.: I don´t see the english https://plex.tv/xbox page but on my German one it still says "gesture control" in the text => this was removed with NXOE.

• Comsat70Comsat70 Posts: 14Members ✭✭
    edited December 2015

I downloaded the app 15 minutes ago and was unable get it to function. (Note: I am not a Plex Pass subscriber.)

• First I had it generate the four digit pass code.Then I visited http://plex.tv/link where I was asked to sign-in. I signed in and landed on the home screen for my plex server. There was never anywhere for me to enter the four digit code.
    • Next I tried to sign-in on the Xbox One using the same account as I signed into my serve with. It allowed me to enter my account information and then told me I needed to be a plex pass member.

So, what am I doing incorrectly?

• nightwing12nightwing12 Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'd sign in to plex.tv then go to plex.tv/pin and try entering the pin again.

• ApocalypseStickApocalypseStick Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Kind of shocked to see it leave the preview window with all of the bugs that are still prevalent. I feel like the app has taken a few steps back with the latest releases. The last update was literally a roll-back to fix a major bug. Direct-play stuttering is still a big issue, a lot of live channels still kick back a 'server not found' error, and other navigational problems.

I'm disappointed because the Xbox version was the flagship app in this Plex convert's household until October with the NXOE. I guess this gives me an opportunity to take a step back from the Plex pass until I can open the app and not want to throw my controller across the room.

• soupynjsoupynj Posts: 146Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No real reason to keep a membership anymore

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 4,970Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I feel like the app has taken a few steps back with the latest releases. The last update was literally a roll-back to fix a major bug.
    I don't understand where you are coming from here. 1 Major bug and 1 Minor bug vs 13 Additional features and 25 bug fixes (which included fixes to both the major/minor problems) in the last two weeks to me is way more positive than negative.

Direct-play stuttering is still a big issue,

Do you have a sample file that reliably reproduces this issue? With multiple sample files we have been unable to reproduce this issue. The only common factor I have seen is direct playing of MKV's with low number of reference frames. Beyond that, I cannot create a file that reproduces the issue so it is only a guess at this point.

However, because this is direct playing the only way Plex can handle that issue is to find the cause and force a transcode and report the problem for Microsoft to fix in the decoder. You could also disable direct play from the App settings which remux the files and remove the direct play factor with minimal CPU usage.

a lot of live channels still kick back a 'server not found' error,

There has already been one update that addressed Playback failures for channels, but a lot of the channel issues need to be tracked down on a case by case issue.

and other navigational problems.

If you could highlight what the navigational problems are, the developers can work to alleviate some of them. Some navigation issues the Plex Xbox One team can only forward onto the UX team for approval while the others they can work on improving.

• TuftyMcTavishTuftyMcTavish Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I get the direct-play stuttering problem all the time now too. No problems for ages, then the Xbone dashboard preview programme update broke it horribly. Had to use the jump forwards or backwards trick to re-align things, but I think it was fixed by the time the new dashboard updated was fully released to everybody.

The second-to-last update a few days back broke it again, then another update came in just recently which has improved it. But I still get that happening on the files I was watching last night. Jumping fwd/back seems to sort it after a couple of attempts.

• ApocalypseStickApocalypseStick Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jmckee said:

I feel like the app has taken a few steps back with the latest releases. The last update was literally a roll-back to fix a major bug.
    I don't understand where you are coming from here. 1 Major bug and 1 Minor bug vs 13 Additional features and 25 bug fixes (which included fixes to both the major/minor problems) in the last two weeks to me is way more positive than negative.

Direct-play stuttering is still a big issue,

Do you have a sample file that reliably reproduces this issue? With multiple sample files we have been unable to reproduce this issue. The only common factor I have seen is direct playing of MKV's with low number of reference frames. Beyond that, I cannot create a file that reproduces the issue so it is only a guess at this point.

However, because this is direct playing the only way Plex can handle that issue is to find the cause and force a transcode and report the problem for Microsoft to fix in the decoder. You could also disable direct play from the App settings which remux the files and remove the direct play factor with minimal CPU usage.

a lot of live channels still kick back a 'server not found' error,

There has already been one update that addressed Playback failures for channels, but a lot of the channel issues need to be tracked down on a case by case issue.

and other navigational problems.

If you could highlight what the navigational problems are, the developers can work to alleviate some of them. Some navigation issues the Plex Xbox One team can only forward onto the UX team for approval while the others they can work on improving.

Your defense of the app is noted, but it doesn't fix my experience in my particular use-case. I used it to direct-play MKV files with a user-friendly interface. It used to work. It doesn't now. It happens on every high definition MKV file with 5.1 AC3 audio. I can pull a sample file this weekend. What's the easiest way to share it? Dropbox? Some are self-encodes. Some are from other sources.

You have the Plex team saying "It's a Microsoft issue." You have Microsoft saying "We fixed this in an update" and then going radio silent on the issue. It's frustrating. This was not an problem until NXOE. 1080p movies that direct-played flawlessly prior to the update no longer work. No changes to server. No changes to network. Just a dashboard update and a couple of Plex updates. I've disabled direct-play and tried direct-streaming as the early versions of the app handled it. This stops the stuttering, but it chokes/pauses on 1080p files around every minute. Server specs exceed requirements and the network is stable around 30mbps.

@ApocalypseStick said:
    What's the easiest way to share it? Dropbox? Some are self-encodes. Some are from other sources.

If you are able to reproduce this on a smaller sample file, any place you can share the sample is fine. The other option would be to share a library with one of the developers so they can connect to offending file with a debug enabled version of the app to see more information. (This would require a little bit more coordination if you're willing to try this method)

• DavisNLDavisNL Posts: 665Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@soupynj said:
    No real reason to keep a membership anymore

Supporting the continued development of Plex?

• AFailingAFailing Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've got to agree with the posts about not being ready for primetime, and, in fact, taking a step backwards (or two) within the past few weeks. I started watching Star Wars in the Machete Order to get ready for The Force Awakens, and I had no issues, whatsoever, watching 4, 5, 2, and 3 on my XB1, previous to my most recent updates (my xbox is showing Plex on 1.5.0.0, but others have talked about 1.5.1.... how do i force an update?). I believe there were two within a week or two, that I noticed. After the updates, Return of the Jedi couldn't go 10 seconds without stuttering, and now even some 720p movies won't cooperate, fully. I know where the logs are located on my computer, but I don't know which ones you guys would need to see to test this. I just tried watching A Christmas Story (1080p), and it's just as bad as Star Wars. I can stream from iPhone to Apple TV 3, and also stream directly to Apple TV 4 with NO problems, but the XBox One can't handle it. Which is weird, because the Apple TVs are essentially iPhone-powered STBs, while the XB1 is essentially a desktop wrapped in a console package.

@AFailing said:
    my xbox is showing Plex on 1.5.0.0, but others have talked about 1.5.1.... how do i force an update?

1.5.0 is the current version, I wrongly posted version 1.5.1 in a post or two (as I assumed it bumped up a .1 like the 1.2.1 and 1.3.1 versions). There is no way to force an update with the Xbox, once the Xbox detects an update is available you will not be able to launch the app without updating.

I know where the logs are located on my computer, but I don't know which ones you guys would need to see to test this.

Your Plex Media Server.log would be the most helpful, but if this is something that is consistent across the board a sample file may be more useful in trying to diagnose what the problem is.

Ok. Because the only files I have are rather large, I wouldn't mind sharing my library with a Plex developer. I tried to attach my Pex Media Server.log 4 times, and each time it said it failed to upload. Then when trying to attach one of my smaller files, it said it was too large.

• MoussaMoussa Posts: 1,483Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@AFailing You can share the library with me if you'd like. My Plex username is the same as my forum username :)

Just added you moussa. Let me know what you find! Thanks man.

• MoussaMoussa Posts: 1,483Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@AFailing Thanks! I will have a look when I'm back at my dev console :)

Ok. Star Wars does it, for me, 100% of the time. And for reference: I've got Comcast at 105 Mbps. Even when I bog it down with a bunch of devices, I usually pull 30ish Mbps

• karl0402karl0402 Posts: 2Members

Hi, just downloaded the app for the Xbox one, but when I press on it, I just get 'no server found'. this leaves me to think that I may need to setup a separate media server? is this correct or can I use the Xbox as a media server?
    I also went to the https://plex.tv/link website and its asking me to Enter the 4-character code displayed on the app to link with my account? But I didn't get a code?
    Seems a bit awkward to this thing up!
    Can anyone recommend other media server S/W that I can run on the Xbox?

@karl0402 said:
    this leaves me to think that I may need to setup a separate media server?

Do you have a Plex Media Server already setup and running? The Xbox One Plex app is a client that streams movies from your Plex Media Server (Or other server's shared with you). If you do not have a server or shared server's then the App has nothing to connect to.

I also went to the https://plex.tv/link website and its asking me to Enter the 4-character code displayed on the app to link with my account? But I didn't get a code?

Unless your Xbox Live account is already linked to your Plex Account the code should appear the first time the app opens with that account. If that is not the case you can check your Plex account by going to: https://plex.tv/users/edit Near the bottom of the page you should see Single Sign-on Authentications If you have an entry for Xbox One that means your account is already linked, if you have not done this then you should select Delete authentication.

Can anyone recommend other media server S/W that I can run on the Xbox?

There currently is no Server software that you can run on the Xbox One.