Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PLEX has gobbled up 800GB and I can't get it back - Please Help

nick009nick009 Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Hello, I'm looking for some hepl with my plex problem. I installed plex a few years back and it gobbled up 1.5 TB on my synology diskstation. I somehow freed that space and uninstalled plex and everything was ok for a while.

Today I notice that my space was running low and found that the plex shared folder was using up 800GB!! So I deleted the plex shared folder expecting that it would free up my space. As it turns out it hasn't.

Plex although uninstalled and having no shared folder is still holding 800GB to ransom.

I have tried "empty all recycle bins" and searched for any more plex folders lurking around but can't seem to get my space back.

Can you help me out?

Answers

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 11,041Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

You have not stated what your setup is, how many drives, what NAS you are using what drives, how many files you have in your Plex media folders etc.

I will assume that you have a large collection of media, and if so, that could explain the 800GB although that does seem excessive unless you had Plex configured to generate index files, which can consume a large amount of space.

Apart from that, Plex needs to store all of your metadata, posters and other images and files, such as trailers etc. That needs to go somewhere and you will find that in the 'Plex' folder.

If the Plex folder is not visible in File Station, then see Q7a on the FAQ's page, link in my signature.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
  • dane22dane22 Posts: 10,907Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Also might wanna check this article, to make sure that BIF generation is not enabled, unless needed

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202529153-Why-is-my-Plex-Media-Server-directory-so-large-

/T

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

• nick009nick009 Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies.

Apologies for not giving enough info.

I have a two 3GB drives in my DS212j, they are in a RAID config. I'm accessing it from an iMac running El Capitan.

I'm not sure that my question has been understood properly. I deleted the plex share folder from "control panel/shared folder" but I didn't get my 800GB back.

I checked out the FAQ's page and I wish I had followed Q7 from the start, maybe then I wouldn't have this problem. The only step I hadn't completed was deleting the plex user, I have done that now but still no joy.

I don't think 7A applies because I've already deleted the folder.

The folder where I found the 800GB doesn't exist on the diskstation but the 800GB is still missing.

Is this clearer now?

I have ssh'd in with terminal but I'm not familiar with the commands and I still can't see plex folder.

please help,

many thanks in advance.

No you have not made things clear at all. You start out saying that you deleted the Plex folder in 'shared folders' but you didn't get your 800GB back.

Then you say you found the folder that contains the 800GB but it doesn't exist, how can that be, that doesn't make any sense at all?

Have you run an Extended SMART test in Storage Manager->HDD/SSD->SMART Test on both of your drives?

Are they healthy, no failed sectors (bad blocks) or any other issues?

If your drives are healthy, nothing will happen and the drives will be marked normal, but if they are faulty at all, then you might get a report.

Note: if your drive/s suffered bad blocks, the drives may have already mapped the bad blocks 'out of service' and the only way to tell is by checking the reported size of the drive in Storage Manager->HDD/SSD.

Check the drive manufacturers website to see what the formatted capacity of your drives should be. If that number is not close to what is reported in Storage Manager->HDD/SSD then you will need to replace the damaged drive/s.

You should also open Storage Manager->volume->manage->start data scrubbing.

To find the Plex folder using SSH use CD /volume1 then ls (that is an elle + ess in case you are wondering) to list the directory. You should see the Plex folder in the list, but remember, you stated that you deleted the Plex folder, so it may not exist unless you have re-installed Plex?

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
  • AmoksenAmoksen Posts: 182Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

that's no Plex issue. the only possible would be that you activated the trash for specific folders or your drives have failed sectors...

another question: how can you see that 800GB are missing if the folder where they should belong doesn't exist?

• nick009nick009 Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Hello again,

I'm sorry again for my distinct lack of clarity. Perhaps it is my english.

To (attempt) clarify:

The plex folder had 800GB
    I deleted the plex folder (in shared folder)
    there was no change in the free space on my drive
    i.e. the 800 GB is still missing
    I can tell because the total size of all my files and folders is about 1.1TB but I only have 700GB free space (these are approximate figures)

There is no plex installed any more
    there is no plex folder (i've deleted them)
    there is no plex user (deleted)

I have run the SMART tests on both drives and they both come up fine.

When I try to look at Storage Manager->volume->manage->start data scrubbing. the manage button is greyed out and I can't press it.

is this any clearer now? apologies in advance if there is any ongoing confusion

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,907Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

edited December 2015

@nick009 said:

Hello again,

I'm sorry again for my distinct lack of clarity. Perhaps it is my english.

To (attempt) clarify:

The plex folder had 800GB
    I deleted the plex folder (in shared folder)
    there was no change in the free space on my drive
    i.e. the 800 GB is still missing
    I can tell because the total size of all my files and folders is about 1.1TB but I only have 700GB free space (these are approximate figures)

There is no plex installed any more
    there is no plex folder (i've deleted them)
    there is no plex user (deleted)

I have run the SMART tests on both drives and they both come up fine.

When I try to look at Storage Manager->volume->manage->start data scrubbing. the manage button is greyed out and I can't press it.

is this any clearer now? apologies in advance if there is any ongoing confusion

If the recycle bin is not your issue, then open File Station and start looking. Drive space does not just disappear on it's own, something is consuming the space on your drives and that something is bound to have a file name of some sort.

Do you have Synology Media Center/Video Station installed?

It's possible that the index/metadata files for those programs are using the additional space. But you likely wont find that unless you SSH into the NAS and start looking.

BTW, this is not a Plex issue, so you might be better off asking your question on the Synology Forums or contact Synology Tech Support.

Regards,
    Andy M.

• RaghveshRaghvesh Posts: 5Members ✭✭

I have no choice but to copy all my data and media files locally on USB disks which might take a few days and then format all the volumes on my Synology NAS and never ever go near Plex again.
    No one one knows where did the 4 TB of space vanished from my NAS within 8 hours of installing PLEX

And what exactly did you expect when you installed Plex, that it would store it's metadata in thin air?

I find it hard to believe that Plex would consume 4TB at all, unless you include your own media, which would require storage space regardless.

And your solution is very much unnecessary. If Plex is indeed the cause of the disappearing drive space, then all you need to do is uninstall Plex using Package Center and delete the Plex shared folder, problem solved.

See Q7 on the Synology FAQ's page for more details, link in my signature.

If you are going to make claims such as this, then at least provide some tangible evidence to support your claims, can you do that?

Regards,
    Andy M.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 22,836Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@Raghvesh said:
    I have no choice but to copy all my data and media files locally on USB disks which might take a few days and then format all the volumes on my Synology NAS and never ever go near Plex again.
    No one one knows where did the 4 TB of space vanished from my NAS within 8 hours of installing PLEX

Did you empty the recycle bins?

Control Panel -> Shared Folders -> Actions

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• cul8rmom1cul8rmom1 Posts: 117Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ChuckPA said:

@Raghvesh said:

Did you empty the recycle bins?

Control Panel -> Shared Folders -> Actions

I am running 2 synology machines (Ds1813, DS1815) and an ESX cluster running synology VMs.
    I have been running plex for quite some time and not had the issues you are facing.

Optimized versions, recycle bin, I have also seen cloud software do some crazy stuff with diskspace for no logical reason.
    Im thinking recycle bin is the answer. It creating cache files then deleting them for each stream would probably fill it up quickly. 800GB seems pretty excessive. Are you running any snaps? Downloading things with sickrage, couchpotato, torrents etc?

Good luck. I will help if i can.

My configuration
    Media Server Primary: Custom built ESX 5.5 server with DSM 3612sx 12x 4TB drives
    Media Server Secondary: Dell R610 running ESX 6.0 with DSM VM installed for plex backup/dev/testing.
    Media Storage Primary: DS1813+ 4GB RAM 8x 4TB HItachi NAS drives
    Media Storage Secondary/download coordinator: Synology DS1815+ 16GB RAM, w/ 8x 4TB mixed drives,
    Media Clients: Laptops, iPad, Android tablets, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6+, Appletv3 (Plexconnect hack) Appletv4, nvidia sheild portable, ChromeCast, Roku.
    Network: 3x Dell Powerconnect 5424s. Asus router running merlin firmware.
    Surveillance Station: 14 cameras.
    And on and on and on......

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 22,836Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@cul8rmom1

Why are you quoting me? I'm the one providing support here, not the one asking for it.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.