Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playback Stuttering and Freezing with Plex for XBOX One

Answers

• tonycollinettonycollinet Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Update - I've just tried with a file after running the optimiser. I've confirmed in the web - now playing - that it is direct play. Still pausing every few seconds - for about 18 seconds every 9 seconds.

• MoussaMoussa Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,336 Plex Employee

We believe there are two separate issues at play here. One is that the video player stutters when playing a video with an AC3 audio track in a MKV container. We believe that's an issue with the OS and we're in contact with MS on fixing it. The second is the buffering issue some users are seeing. That is trickier to diagnose but I would suggest checking your network equipment. Several users in the past have experienced the issue and found that their router was faulty and a replacement solved the issue.

• phobia804phobia804 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass

I am seeing the same issue and I believe it is because of AC3 audio within a MKV container. Non AC3 files (AAC Audio) work flawlessly. Unfortunately most of my media is in the MKV format (with AC3). A quick solution would be appreciated.

• mbarylskimbarylski Members, Plex Pass Posts: 221 Plex Pass

I think I'm having the same issue, although the movie doesn't completely freeze on me. Instead I get banding (several pixelated horizontal lines appear momentarily every 5 minutes or so) and some stuttering. At first I thought it was a bad blu-ray rip of San Andreas with Dolby TrueHD/Atmos, but it kept happening even after re-ripping the video in MKV/AC3. What solved the issue was switching the video from Original to 20 Mb/1080p on the Xbox One.

@moussa.uk Don't think it is the AC3/MKV for me, since it happens with an optimised file (which is converted to .mp4 and this one at least has AAC audio).

DIfficult also to see how it could be network performance. Firstly I am on gigabit connections. The router is actually on it's own on a spur so not in the path. Connection between streamed file, plex server and xbox is all via a gigabit switch. XBox can download from internet easily at the full 70+Mb/s via same switch to router (I've just run the test). Plus, it gets the full (Very high) speed streaming test for streaming between the Xbox and a win10 machine plugged into the same switch as the plex server.

I've also tested the link between the file server, and the plex server - the plex server machine can download/upload simultaneously at 250+Mb/s (6 minutes for the 11.5GB File) in each direction (Probably limited by file server performance)

More importantly though - the exact same file plays fine via chromecast. Route from file to plex server is the same and from server to chromecast, goes via the same switch, but this time to router and wifi, rather than direct to xbox.

• MoussaMoussa Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,336 Plex Employee

@tonycollinet Do you think you could create a sample file that reliably reproduces the stuttering issue and send it my way?

Yes - but probably not for a week or so. Going away for a week on Saturday, and have a lot of preparation between now and then.

I'll get back to you when I get back to check it is still of interest.

• cedgarcedgar Members Posts: 1

Has there been any new development on this?
    I'm also having similar (if not the same) issues with direct play on my xbox one.

• Tim7Tim7 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Just watched an .mkv TV show on Plex on XB1. First time I've used Plex for a while and it stopped and started every 4-5 minutes. Pretty much unwatchable. First time this has happened? Usually it is very jumpy for the first 30 seconds then it settles down and plays flawlessly.

@tonycollinet said:
    Yes - but probably not for a week or so. Going away for a week on Saturday, and have a lot of preparation between now and then.

I'll get back to you when I get back to check it is still of interest.

OK - dose of humble pie coming up - I am a dumbass. It seems if I am stupid enough not to disable the wifi on my macbook (server) when docked, OSX will randomly decide to use the wifi (instead of the connected and functioning Gbit wired network) for
    a - download of file from server and..
    b - stream of file to xbox.

Resulting in (you've guessed it) much buffering.

• Pooya.toPooya.to Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Any solution for this? facing the same issue... something must have changed because older vidoes that worked great on X1 no longer work, crazy buffering, making Plex on X1 useless really.

• wrighty11wrighty11 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 39 Plex Pass

This has started for me too, tried to watch GOT in 1080p and it stuttered like hell, lowered down to 2mbps at 720p and it was fine,

Using xbox one wired through PLA,

• markmoore793markmoore793 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 28 Plex Pass

I realise this wont be the situation for most people, but posting this just in case it does apply to some. I to had this issue for a few months and it did seem to coincide with an update. However for me the issue turned out to be my Norton Anti virus. I only spotted this because it started affecting other things on my PC. The issue was Norton would rapidly climb to consume about 45% of CPU, and then would appear to be "fighting" with whatever the app running at the time was and so CPU usage would eventually hit 100%. After Googling and using Norton's forums, I realised that my Norton had not been working properly for some time and had never successfully completed a "Full Scan" since I updated it in February, and was repeatedly trying to do so. After resetting several options within Norton based on forum advice, I eventually managed to complete a full system scan and my average CPU activity dropped to no more than 10 - 15% and Norton has never had the issue since, and neither have I had any issues with playback since fixing Norton

• 4xsample4xsample Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

I have the same isue using my library of series and movies converted to 720p h264.
    Seeding from a Mac server to my xBox one both with wifi conection.
    I know is not the optimus system but 720p at 30fps is not a big deal...

• skywalkr2skywalkr2 Members Posts: 18 ✭✭

this is just one of the million bugs with this release. I really don't know how this made it through beta.

• colonelpaniccolonelpanic Members, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

This remains an issue. Has been since the MSFT Windows 10 Xbone update. Where are we at @moussa.uk ?

• skywalkr2skywalkr2 Members Posts: 18 ✭✭

I think the admins on this board took vacation.

• danjames92danjames92 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,061 Plex Pass

@skywalkr2 said:

Moussa replied only a few days ago on the update thread so no, they didn't.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

@skywalkr2 said:

Still here! Unfortunately we don't have any news on this front still, we've reported the issue to Microsoft and are still awaiting action.

• Maximus FSUMaximus FSU Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

That's frustrating, but not surprising given other longstanding bugs in the xbox one OS. Just hoping for a solution sometime soon, having built my entire entertainment center around the xbox one, OTA, and plex. Transcoding everything is lame.

Keep up the great work though guys.