Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playback Stuttering and Freezing with Plex for XBOX One

Answers

• shpankeyshpankey Posts: 256Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This sucks... I wish I wouldn't have went w/ the Xbox One now. It's the least developed and cared about Plex platform out there.

This sucks... I wish I wouldn't have went w/ the Xbox One now. It's the least developed and cared about Plex platform out there.

• Abel CampiaoAbel Campiao Posts: 2Members

Hi,

I also have same issue in both Plex app for xbox one and for PS4 - both connected via rj45 to router.
    Seeding from a raspberry PI - connected via rj45 to router.
    However, watching the same movie or tv show, in my Plex app for samsung tv (via wifi), it does work flawlessly.
    I believe there is some setting for buffering for the XO and PS4 that is not good, because for the same file, it works perfectly in tv but has same issues on the consoles.

• vic_lopezvic_lopez Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same issue playing 1080p content with 5.1 AC3. Stuttering only happens when I am playing these larger files, I am okay when playing smaller SD files.

My Chromecast hooked up to my XBONE through the TV HDMI port works beautifully streaming the same movies.

• Abel CampiaoAbel Campiao Posts: 2Members

So, no updates on this? Plex masters?

• Jdubb247Jdubb247 Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having video stutter as well on Xbox One. MKV files range in size from 2GB to 6GB

• awktaneawktane Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I know this is obvious and likely doesn't need to be said on a post like this... but I have a similar issue occasionally and resolve it by completely shutting down and restarting my xbox one. (HOLD power button for as long as it takes for night night - by default the xbone only goes to sleep) My issue appears to be OS level as simply closing the plex app does not resolve the issue.

• Jdubb247Jdubb247 Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks awktane. I've tried that as well but doesn't seem to help.

• colonelpaniccolonelpanic Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've noticed that on the new XBOX One Plex client, v2.6.1, the FREEZE seems to have stopped. However, now there is extreme jitter at the beginning of playing any large file, and there are occasional interstitial instances of jitter lasting 30 seconds to one minute during playback (maybe 3x per hour).

• ChickencasualChickencasual Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here. Everything on NAS server is .mkv. Playback on 90% Xbox one stutter, so playback on Xbox one has been useless the last 3 month or so.
    No issues on television, Apple tv 4th gen. No issues on MacBook, pc iPad, iPhone or surface.
    Stutter issues on PS3 Xbox one. Xbox 360

• jphccfcjphccfc Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here too and hasn't been resolved with the latest update

• jack_fryjack_fry Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Yup happening to me too.

• jphccfcjphccfc Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Why does the main view say this is answered it's far from answered. Plex is unusable on Xbox one constant freezes...

• maduceymaducey Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The Xbox One client is freaking frustrating. You might as well pull it.

• markmoore793markmoore793 Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As much as I understand some of the frustration, I used to have some stuttering issues as well but not for a while. To say xbox client is useless is an overstatement. I use xbox one client every single day. It's my main source of viewing, 5 or 6 hours minimum every day and it's simply brilliant

• Stephen3001Stephen3001 Posts: 171Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So here is some more feedback....

Started a movie. It was VC-1 and DTS. So no direct streaming of audio or video. There were some small pauses but for the most part the movie was playing for the first third of the movie. Get to the middle third and it is stopping every 10-20 seconds. Having a look at the server status of the XBOX and it is saying that it is 'Buffering'.

Get to the last third of the movie and it plays perfectly the whole way.

Nothing changed over the course of the movie, no massive Network strains..So what is buffering. Is it the XBOX not telling the server it needs more data, or is it the server not feeding the data to the XBOX. Does the XBOX get out of sync with the server??

I had look at the network interface of the server. The data flow going out is certainly not constant, but is a wave up and down. I would have thought in a stream to a device that it would be a constant flow, not peaks and troughs. Or this the way the XBOX gets its data? Fill the buffer, empty it then ask for more.

Its certainly frustrating because for the most part the Server/XBOX works. Its these random pauses that don't make sense.

****My Equipment****

PMS Media Server/Storage - QNAP TVS-1282T (I7, 32Gb RAM) 48TB Storage, QNAP TVS-463 12TB

1Gb Wired Networking.

Media Players
    OpenPHT on Intel NUC6I5SYH Core i5 NUC, XBOXOne, iPad, iPhone, Android Phone, Chromecast

• npikenpike Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2016

Also seeing this, and am disappointed to see the lack of communication from Plex

• Stephen3001Stephen3001 Posts: 171Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello @npike , just to clarify here, my problem was a Server that was transcoding and would often run out of transcoding puff. A more powerful server has fixed this.

****My Equipment****

PMS Media Server/Storage - QNAP TVS-1282T (I7, 32Gb RAM) 48TB Storage, QNAP TVS-463 12TB

1Gb Wired Networking.

Media Players
    OpenPHT on Intel NUC6I5SYH Core i5 NUC, XBOXOne, iPad, iPhone, Android Phone, Chromecast

• MoussaMoussa Posts: 1,336Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@npike Sorry, we're aware of some issues with playback and are in communication with Microsoft about this as we believe the issue is with the built in player framework.

How long do you and them have to be "aware" of the problem before fixing it? C'mon now, this has been identified from dang near the drop and still nothing.