Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playback Stuttering and Freezing with Plex for XBOX One

Answers

• mcloummcloum Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

Im also having issues with Video and Audio freezing that previously worked before the XB anniversary dash update. a sample of the log file (i think its the right one?) is here http://pastebin.com/bPWhdbfu

Its really annoying me now!

• jmckeejmckee Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 4,801 Plex Ninja

@mcloum said:
    Im also having issues with Video and Audio freezing that previously worked before the XB anniversary dash update. a sample of the log file (i think its the right one?) is here http://pastebin.com/bPWhdbfu

Its really annoying me now!

Based on the short log entry your server is unable to keep up with the transcode.

Sep 06, 2016 19:55:50.429 [0x7f84ca3fe700] VERBOSE - * speed => 0.6

A speed value of less than 1 means the server cannot transcode the file in real time. Without knowing anything about your setup there are only a few guesses of what it could be.

1) Something is causing the video to transcode as well as the audio where previously only the audio needed to transcode. (IE subtitles being enabled, lower selected video quality)
    2) Data isn't being pulled to the transcoder fast enough (Slow hard drive read, congested network shares)

• Jdubb247Jdubb247 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 29 Plex Pass

this issue might be resolved with the latest Xbox One client (not sure). I watched a movie recently and played with no stutter/jutter.

My server is a HP N40L and has been running pretty well for a number of years. Its only ever since the latest xbox dash update that this has started. I have tried bluray rips and just standard SD rips from TV and all files have the same issue. I have a RPi 2 running from the same server which doesnt have this issue and neither does my ipad mini over wifi.

Files ive had previous to the update that worked now no longer work.

The server has 5 3TB WD red drives and i think 8gb of RAM. the only thing letting it down is the CPU but as stated it has been playing MKVs fine for a number of years.

I cant seem to edit my post. I meant to include that the web browser also plays fine. Are there any tests that i can do to gather more evidence?

My xbox is hard wired for what its worth.

• Stephen3001Stephen3001 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 156 Plex Pass

@Jdubb247 said:
    this issue might be resolved with the latest Xbox One client (not sure). I watched a movie recently and played with no stutter/jutter.

I'm not particularly convinced on this one. The Stutter/Judder problem I think is caused by the XBOX One running out of processing power, resulting in micro stutters. This however is dependant on the Bitrate of the material you are watching, and the complexity of the encode. If you watch a higher bitrate file the chances are the XBOX one will have some stutter problems, the lower the bitrate the less likely.

Microsoft I think just never envisioned the play back of high bitrate files. Off a Fixed Disc is a different proposition though...

****My Equipment****

PMS Media Server/Storage - QNAP TVS-1282T (I7, 32Gb RAM) 48TB Storage, QNAP TVS-463 12TB

1Gb Wired Networking.

Media Players
    OpenPHT on Intel NUC6I5SYH Core i5 NUC, XBOXOne, iPad, iPhone, Android Phone, Chromecast

Just to add, mine is a judder or stutter. Its a full on freeze of audio and video for about 10 seconds then it plays for a another 10 seconds then does the same again.

I meant isnt a judder or stutter.....why cant you edit posts here!

@mcloum said:
    I meant isnt a judder or stutter.....why cant you edit posts here!

You should be able to with the gear icon in the top right corner of your post.

Just to add, mine is a judder or stutter. Its a full on freeze of audio and video for about 10 seconds then it plays for a another 10 seconds then does the same again.

Have you tried a hard reset of the console in case something just isn't getting cleared out?

Gah that gear icon wasn't showing at work!

I've not but i have uninstalled PLex and re-installed, same result. I'll try a hard reset.

Sometimes the a hard reset clears out something else that is backing the console up. I used to have to do it pretty frequently because apps would get stuck on my console, but it's gotten a lot better lately

• Stephen3001Stephen3001 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 156 Plex Pass

Don't forget there are two ways an XBOXone can start. There is a fast start mode that is enabled by default that retains a lot of the os and stuff in memory so that the unit can boot up quickly but it can cause problems. I have seen this with some of the larger games. You can select an option in the system menu for a complete reboot every time you start the XBOXone. I find that is the best way to handle the unit as it gives it a fresh start every time.

Its under the SETTINGS>ALL SETTINGS>POWERMODE & STARTUP menu

****My Equipment****

PMS Media Server/Storage - QNAP TVS-1282T (I7, 32Gb RAM) 48TB Storage, QNAP TVS-463 12TB

1Gb Wired Networking.

Media Players
    OpenPHT on Intel NUC6I5SYH Core i5 NUC, XBOXOne, iPad, iPhone, Android Phone, Chromecast

Nope doing a hard reset didnt do anything. Neither has the latest dashboard (im in the preview program) I know its either the xbox or the plex client at fault as my Samsung TV has its own plex client and plays the same movies from the same server without issue.

Ever plex client i have in the house works, but the xbox client.

@mcloum said:
    Ever plex client i have in the house works, but the xbox client.

I just looked up a N40L proliant and saw that it is running on an AMD Turion processor. That processor will be a little slow if the server is requesting a full transcode of the file (Video and Audio). Is it possible that something is triggering a transcode on the Xbox Client (Subtitles, Quality Restriction, etc) whereas on the other clients the file is direct playing?

• jphccfcjphccfc Members, Plex Pass Posts: 32 Plex Pass

Has anyone got any workarounds e.g another Xbox app to circumnavigate this issue? I have tried the Xbox media player app via dlna however this has a habit of stopping half way through and then there is no way to resume from where you left off. I have this huge Plex films folder and can't watch any of them in the basement on the Xbox because of this constant freezing issue. Every other plex player in the house works fine.

• NapsterbaterNapsterbater Members, Plex Pass Posts: 31 Plex Pass

I'm having this issues with the latest Xboxone beta (dont have the version number right now)

No transcoding, direct play.

`Media

Video Resolution 1080p
    Duration 1:47:39
    Bitrate 4744 kbps
    Width 1916
    Height 796
    Aspect Ratio 2.35
    Container MKV
    Video Frame Rate 24p
    Audio Profile lc
    Video Profile high
    Part

File **************************************************
    Size 3.57 GB
    Audio Profile lc
    Container MKV
    Has Thumbnail 1
    Indexes sd
    Video Profile high
    Codec H264
    Bitrate 4744 kbps
    Language English
    Bit Depth 8
    CABAC true
    Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
    Color Range tv
    Color Space bt709
    Frame Rate 23.976 fps
    Frame Rate Mode cfr
    Height 796
    Level 4.0
    Pixel Format yuv420p
    Profile high
    Ref Frames 5
    Scan Type progressive
    Title **************************************************
    Width 1916
    Codec AAC
    Channels Stereo
    Language English
    Audio Channel Layout stereo
    Profile lc
    Sampling Rate 48000 Hz`

edited September 2016

My server is fine to transcode videos, this happens on basic videos that have no subtitles or DTS audio. Basic MKV and MP3/ACC audio.

I dont think my web browser will be able to direct play the same video files as a Rpi2 can so i dont think its a transcode issue. The xbox client has Direct PLay enabled and i have tried disabling it as others have suggested, no luck.

The only demoniator is either the xbox client or the dashboard version at fault.

@mcloum said:
    My server is fine to transcode videos,

The only log you have posted shows that your server could not keep up transcoding the video in the excerpt.

I dont think my web browser will be able to direct play the same video files as a Rpi2 can so i dont think its a transcode issue. The xbox client has Direct PLay enabled and i have tried disabling it as others have suggested, no luck.

The only demoniator is either the xbox client or the dashboard version at fault.

Unfortunately, from what you have posted your server cannot keep up transcoding the video. The Pi2 should be able to direct play almost anything while the Xbox appears to need to transcode your video. The only thing we can really do for you at this point is figure out why the Xbox is transcoding which would be in the log at the start of video playback when the MDE is called.

Just because you have direct play enabled doesnt mean everything will direct play. It only means that direct play is an option for the MDE if all the codecs are playable. Since the Xbox is transcoding something in the log you posted there is something that the Xbox is reporting it cannot play in the file.

OK so can you direct me to what logs you need in order to diagnose this?

I tried again on the Smart TV plex app for Samsung (previously working) and now that is stuttering, admittedly i didnt try any other files as im so dam angry with it now that i lost patience.

The only thing i can think is something has changed in the Plex server or lately movies are being encoded to a higher bitrate than my TV/Xbox can handle. If thats the case then i'll be ditching the xbox and getting a RaspberryPi.