Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playback Stuttering and Freezing with Plex for XBOX One

1235»

Answers

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 4,839Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@mcloum said:
    OK so can you direct me to what logs you need in order to diagnose this?

This support article explains how to gather your server logs.

• jphccfcjphccfc Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Moussa said:
    @shpankey It's a platform issue that affects a whole suite of other applications, but not everyone involved can reproduce the issue (I can't myself) but I assure you they're working on it.

Moussa I have installed VLC beta on the Xbox one and the files that freeze using the plex client do not freeze using vlc. I have tried both plex dlna and direct from my home server. I'm not sure if they are using an approach that resolves the platform issue but hope the info may help. For people suffering from the issue this is a workaround that works. VLC does have an issue with 5.1 fronts playing in rears but I suspect that will be fixed quickly.

• wizllwizll Posts: 2Members

oh nice, been trying to find out if others have this issue. same thing happening on my xbox one, constant buffering that only happens with the plex xbox one app, and works fine on everything else on the same network wifi or wired. No idea when it started happening, since I don't use it too often, but there was definitely a time where it was flawless.

on insider preview xbox one dashboard.

• wizllwizll Posts: 2Members

Wanted to post an update that with one of the updates in the past week or so on insider preview, the stuttering is no longer happening. Perhaps they fixed something with the media player.

• DoobreydooDoobreydoo Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any idea when this insider preview might be available for the larger audience??

• dvsmastadvsmasta Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having all sorts of fits trying to play MKV with AC3 audio or MKV at very high bitrates. The server is more than beefy enough to do audio only transcoding, the problem is when trying to play MKV with very high bitrates 18+ Mbps there is a constant buffering issue in the plex app. I tried using the VLC player as jphccfc had done, and all of the files play with no stops for buffering.

The plex app will stop every 10-20 seconds for 5-10 seconds to buffer. When looking at plexpy it says the transcoder is throttled when doing audio only transcode. It is not a bandwidth issue either as the VLC app played it just fine. Something VLC player is doing is able to work just fine. Also of note, i tried using the DLNA and the microsoft video player and it also would NOT play the high bitrate files.

• dadams312dadams312 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I can't get any videos to play on plex without stuttering on the Xbox one. Some movies won't play at all, most stutter to the point of them being unwatchable.

Everything plays fine on plex for the iPhone. Any help would be appreciated, this is a new problem as it has played flawlessly in the past but nothing has changed on my end.

• JE3146JE3146 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm getting stuttering issues as well. About every 10 to 30 seconds. Just recently started.

• jeremy9174jeremy9174 Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Also getting stuttering on some video files, I'm unable to pin down the cause, happy to provide logs if you can provide instruction or location. Seems to be repeatable on some files, willing to do some testing whenever possible.

• brandonx76brandonx76 Posts: 1Members

I'm trying to play an MKV rip (blade runner) and I get a stutter about every 20-30 mins....was really impressed with the Xbox one app having finally getting access to it, but this is a bit disappointing. i'd like to be able to play MK4 full rips of my 1080p blu rays...I have a fast/high spec Hard drive and gigabit, so I don't think it's the server (mac mini).

I'm looking for the "perfect" Plex direct/non transcoding player - and I think I'm really close with Xbox one, but maybe I need to go another direction? (Nvidia Shield? Roku 4/Ultra?) dunno

• obsesivegamerobsesivegamer Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I also notice specific issues to the xbox one client, if I use my iPhone playback is fine.

Issues:
    Stuttering
    inability to seek (playback will not resume)
    jittering on UI during media browsing
    If you select the arrow buttons in top right to move to the next episode I get sent back to episode 1 always. (instead of the next episode)

• TerranPhilTerranPhil Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just want to chime in to say that I have no issues running Plex on my Xbox One.

• info@vejrup.netinfo@vejrup.net Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Try to turn off subtitles, that changed my cpu usage from 96-99% to around 30% on my nas

• NapsterbaterNapsterbater Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well yeah, As if you enable subtitles Plex has to "burn" them in I.E. Transcode.

• OkelVOkelV Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but a search query lead me here. Did this issue end up getting addressed for everyone?

Mine and a friends Xbox One S's seem to be stuttering on any Direct Play video just like the others in here were mentioning, but the same files work fine on my Samsung Smart TV with Direct Play no issues at all.

With some optimized videos I can usually drop the quality down a little bit and it will transcode and work well, but this isn't ideal with shared libraries as my NAS hosts the media and isn't powerful enough to transcode multiple streams at the same time, so I'd love to have Direct Play working.

Is anyone else still having this problem?

1235»