If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

External Video Player - No VLC ?

R-P-HR-P-H Posts: 105Members ✭✭
edited January 2016 in Android (mobile)

Hi, I’m using the latest version of this app on my Nexus 5 running Android Marshmallow.

I have VLC for android installed on my device however when I try to play a video with the external player option enabled; VLC is NOT listed as an option ?

I do not have this problem when using other apps (VLC appears as an option) or on my other devices running Lollipop and Kit-Kat.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Answers

• JD - (Ppass)JD - (Ppass) Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 8

I have the same issue.

MX player doesn't seem to support AC3 and my NAS doesn't have what it takes to transcode the video. I can stream with the android VLC app without a problem, which is why I would like to use it as an external player.

• R-P-HR-P-H Posts: 105Members ✭✭

VLC still doesn't appear as an option on my device (Nexus 5) when using the Plex app with external player option enabled. However, it also does not appear when trying to play videos using my NAS app (WD MyCloud), so it may be a problem with the VLC app itself rather than the Plex app.

If you find a solution please post back. Thanks.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,161Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We don't control what apps show up, that's up to the system and the apps themselves. Try opening a local video from a file manager and see if VLC shows up as an app to open that file.

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    We don't control what apps show up, that's up to the system and the apps themselves. Try opening a local video from a file manager and see if VLC shows up as an app to open that file.

It shows up for me when opening a local video file. But not in Plex.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,161Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

It shows up for me so I don't know what the problem could be.

Are you using regular VLC or the Beta? I just installed 2.5.13 from the store.

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    It shows up for me so I don't know what the problem could be.

Are you using regular VLC or the Beta? I just installed 2.5.13 from the store.

Yes, I'm using the regular version 2.5.13.

Strangely enough VLC also does not appear as an option when using my WD My Cloud app.

Can you scroll down on that list?

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    Can you scroll down on that list?

Nope.