If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Pre-Roll Video (Force request)

PLEXONIANPLEXONIAN Posts: 108Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I think I should be able to force a pre-roll video to any client that supports them. And they should extend to managed users and invited users.

Comments

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,205Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

You should not.
    Why even use plex when you can get some trailers shoved down your throat on tv?
    (Rhetorical question)

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • ajay_zalavadiaajay_zalavadia Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

i agree on to be able to force a pre-roll from server end, let it be just 20 sec signature clip , or an announcement message to your users.
    not trying to force a user to watch a long trailer , but at least 20 sec pre roll wont hurt.

@ajay_zalavadia said:
    not trying to force a user to watch a long trailer , but at least 20 sec pre roll wont hurt.

I can only speak for myself here, but I'd be furious.

• sremicksremick Posts: 1,149Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@OttoKerner said:
    I can only speak for myself here, but I'd be furious.

I'm thinking maybe 5 seconds, certainly no more than 10. But regardless, my "users" are getting free access to my shared library out of the goodness of my heart and have not contributed a dime to the extensive hardware costs (nor the cost of the PlexPass). They get what they get. :D

My server (35W idle, silent):

Software: PMS 1.7.1.3856 running in a jail on FreeNAS 9.10.2
    Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini-ITX Server Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1271 v3 Quad-Core 3.6GHz 8MB LGA1150 (Passmark: 10204)
    CPU cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120M(BW) Rev.A
    RAM: Crucial 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V CT2KIT102472BD160B
    HDDs: 6x WD Red NAS 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" WD30EFRX (RAIDZ2)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2 Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS Platinum Certified
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (8.27"x9.84"x14.72")

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,736Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Certainly won't be happening in OpenPHT or Rasplex.

Regards

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."
  • PLEXONIANPLEXONIAN Posts: 108Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It should be an option at least. If my kids don't like it - they can use Netflix.

• cayarscayars Posts: 4,060Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@OttoKerner said:
    You should not.
    Why even use plex when you can get some trailers shoved down your throat on tv?
    (Rhetorical question)

It would be up to the Server admin. If the "client" doesn't like it tough. They could setup their own server instead of having to use someone else's library.

The pre-roll could be extremely useful for admins to send message out to users that wouldn't get messages any other way as not everyone checks emails, etc.

Being able to let people know your system will be down on Saturday for maint between 7 and 10am for example would be a great use of this feature.

Or being able to run a quick 3- 5 second preroll before any video that has contact info or a message to let users know to report any problems with the video to xyz email or txt to xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Frankly if I were to run a quick message and a user I shared with complained I'd tell them to go pound sand or go spend 10 grand and put in hundreds/thousands of hours to setup their own system. I bet they would never complain again.

10K+ Movies, 400 Shows - 33K+ TV Episodes, 380 Christmas Movies, 405 Documentary, 290 3D Movies, 1300 NFL Games, 1280 Educational Videos, Premium Music: 215K+ Tracks, 775 GB Plex Meta-Data.
    Thread on my setup with some tips and tricks: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/131308/cayars-setup-walk-through-and-some-tips-and-tricks/p1
    edited February 2016

@cayars said:
    The pre-roll could be extremely useful for admins to send message out to users that wouldn't get messages any other way as not everyone checks emails, etc.

A "server message" would be useful, no doubt.
    Not sure it must be in the form of a trailer video, though.

Frankly if I were to run a quick message and a user I shared with complained I'd tell them to go pound sand or go spend 10 grand and put in hundreds/thousands of hours to setup their own system. I bet they would never complain again.

:D

edited February 2016

Trailer NO
    Pre-roll YES

While sort of the same thing I myself wouldn't force people to watch trailers of other movies. But I would from time to time make use of an admin type message in what I guess we call a pre-roll (if I have my terminology correct).

However, with that said I do think the server admin should be in full control of trailers in general. If the admin wants all users to view 1 or 2 trailers of other movies in their library that is the cost of admission so to speak. The end user should not be able to override the admin's wishes (IMHO).

Me personally, I wouldn't force users to view normal trailers all the time and I'd probably get sick of watching them if I were an end user but I do think the admin should be able to force or make them optional viewing. With that said I could see myself "playing" with it from time to time on a Friday/Saturday evening to make viewing more "theatrical" in nature.

This just goes to my way of thinking where the client shouldn't be able to override the server on choices.

Now in "play" mode (if I got bored) I'd use the pre-roll to pre-announce a movie. So for maybe a week I'd have a quick message something like:

"Saturday at 8pm: Star Wars: The Force Awakens"

Then maybe that Saturday I'd turn on true trailers around 7:45 and make the users watch 2 trailers before the movie (just because I can). This would be cinema like for blockbusters movies when I know I'll have 10ish people wanting to watch it.

Other than extreme examples like this I'd not use it.

10K+ Movies, 400 Shows - 33K+ TV Episodes, 380 Christmas Movies, 405 Documentary, 290 3D Movies, 1300 NFL Games, 1280 Educational Videos, Premium Music: 215K+ Tracks, 775 GB Plex Meta-Data.
    Thread on my setup with some tips and tricks: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/131308/cayars-setup-walk-through-and-some-tips-and-tricks/p1
  • hthighwayhthighway Posts: 6,549Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

So if server admin's feeling is if a user doesn't like the forced pre-roll, then that user can pound sound...

Then why does that same admin care/worry that it's user base know of any upcoming server outage?

• Paul
    edited February 2016

apples and oranges my friend.

Because he is being conscientious and is letting users know there is going to be upcoming down time. Maybe so he doesn't get phone calls or text messages when doing the maint because most of the users would already know about it.

Again, if the user doesn't like getting a few brief messages like this than I'd certainly not be worried about it.

How is this any different than a company sending out a warning notice via email that they are bouncing a file server or will be doing maint of some server and it will be down for X time. If an employee doesn't like getting these maint messages I'm sure the IT department would tell them to go pound sand as well.

My point really is that it's "my" server the users are using and if I determine I want things to work a certain way my users shouldn't be able to work around it unless I give them the option.

• hthighwayhthighway Posts: 6,549Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@cayars said:
    apples and oranges my friend.

Actually it's not...
    We are not talking about a business or company that you're running, it's personal media server and your sharing it with your friends and family.

My point again, is if you don't care what their feeling are regarding forced pre-rolls why bother being nice and letting them know when the server is down.

• Paul

Really? Someone actually went through and disliked all my posts in this thread? It's just one person's opinion on a feature that would be optional to use.

Thanks, it's very much appreciated. Guess I'll go pound sand. :(

• ThunderVamp9ThunderVamp9 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I agree that it should be an option for the server admin to force it. It's my server. People using it are doing so at my discretion and if I want them to watch a trailer and/or see the pre-roll, I should have that option. As a viewer, if they don't like it they can go watch a paid service instead.

• KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,813Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I wouldn't not force my users to watch trailers OR pre-roll.

That said, I fully agree with the notion that given the time and money I've invested in setting up my plex server and library, if they're not happy with a decision I take, they can ask someone else for their server access. I should be able to decide on such things if I wanted to.

• NaesstromNaesstrom Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I completely agree with the OT.. I want to be able to run a short 20s pre-roll for every user that watches a movie! Just that they make it possible in the server admin doesn't force everyone to use it, it just gives us the ability to! Like voting... moving to canada... etc! :D

• Matt CrosbyMatt Crosby Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'd like this as a feature. Not that I want to force people to watch trailers. But I'm debating having my server offline from 2am to 8am. That allows me to save money on my bills and give my computer downtime. I'd like the ability to let people know that this is the case without having to call them every time I decide to change this. Forcing trailers on people doesn't benefit anyone. But pre roll notifications could benefit me. And seeing as I'm the one who has invested all the time and money into the enterpirise. I would like the ability to do that.

• PLEXONIANPLEXONIAN Posts: 108Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Bump.

I think as the admin I should have a forced pre-roll as an option. Then to each their own. It would be useful for giving update notices, messages, etc. I myself don't like trailers and such - but I would love to force a pre-roll to the client apps. (DLNA I don't care about).

• AjkiAjki Posts: 87Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@PLEXONIAN said:
    Bump.

I think as the admin I should have a forced pre-roll as an option. Then to each their own. It would be useful for giving update notices, messages, etc. I myself don't like trailers and such - but I would love to force a pre-roll to the client apps. (DLNA I don't care about).

+1 I agree completely. If not forced preroll then at least a ticker news bar: so i can warn my friends that server maintenance will be preformed etc...