Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Multiple IP addresses for a single rasplex unit

nk1nk1 Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited January 2016 in Rasplex

hi; i have a single rasplex unit that is not setup with a static IP. While using advanced IP scanner, i noticed that there are 4 separate IP addresses being used by the rasplex unit. All of the addresses are in the DHCP range i set up for my internal router. To verify that the addresses were actually being used, i used FireSSH to connect to each of the separate IP address and the rasplex responds. Everything works fine (love rasplex). Is this the normal when rasplex uses DHCP addressing ? can i use just a single address by setting a static IP address for the rasplex unit ? i'm running 1.0.1 rasplex. Thanks

Best Answers

• nk1nk1 Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

i stumbled over the answer to my own question and i though i might answer it here so if anybody else has the same problem they have an answer. i was using Advanced IP Scanner to view all connected devices and it turns out that the software keeps a history of previous scans of an ip range. The problem is that it never clears out the scan memory file. so a device with a dynamic ip address can show up in the list as being at several ip addresses at the same time. You can find info on manually deleting the history file on their website. After removing the history file - the rasplex unit only shows up at its current address.

Answers

• Nibb31Nibb31 Posts: 1,233Members ✭✭✭✭

That's weird. You should have only one IP address per MAC address. If you have are using wifi and ethernet, you could have two IP addresses, but certainly not four.

What does your router say? I would go and set a static address in the router's DHCP settings.

I have the unit connected to a wired Ethernet switcher. No WiFi module connected to the rasplex unit. The rasplex unit has been on steady for several months ( except for power glitches), so i don't know if this is something that happens over time or not. What's really cool is that i can SSH into the rasplex unit from any of the four addresses. The information on the SSH login screen is exactly the same for all 4 IP addresses. I also tried a network scanner program on my android tablet and it reports 4 addresses being used by the single rasplex unit. All four addresses have the same MAC address ( in both scanner programs). I don't believe my internal router ( i'm double NATed with a Verizon Fios router as my window to the world) has the ability to display assigned DHCP addresses but I'll check when i get home. The rasplex is behind the firewall of my internal router. The first three octets of the four raspelx addresses are the same so i don't think the issue is being created from outside my internal firewall (the Verizon router has DHCP but has a different third octet).

Like i said, everything works fine (i use it by casting from my android tablet) just thought i'd mention it to the developers. I'll try removing the Ethernet cable / rebooting and see if it gets 4 IP's again right from the start and report back. I'll also try switching to a static IP and see if anything weird happens.

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Posts: 993Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What kind of internal router do you have?

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! $25, $10, $5, or even $1 helps. All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

Linksys E2000 - firmware 1.0.03. the latest firmware available is Ver.1.0.06 build 1 Latest Date: 3/26/2014. Yes it's an old router, with old firmware, but it's been working great for years.

The DHCP server servers 20 address total, from 100 to 119. The rasplex is responding to an SSH terminal login at 100, 106 , 115 and 118. There is a directory structure ( shows in Advanced IP Scanner prog) which shows 13 sub directories on each of the four addresses. Each address has the same Mac address. Here's the data from the Advanced IP Scanner.

Ok RASPLEX 192.168.1.100 Raspberry Pi Foundation B8:27:EB:FE:41:4C
    Ok RASPLEX 192.168.1.106 Raspberry Pi Foundation B8:27:EB:FE:41:4C
    Ok RASPLEX 192.168.1.115 Raspberry Pi Foundation B8:27:EB:FE:41:4C
    Ok RASPLEX 192.168.1.118 Raspberry Pi Foundation B8:27:EB:FE:41:4C

Whats weird is it looks like the Rasplex unit has "jails" with individual IP assigned ( looks like my NAS4Free plex server)

well i rebooted the rasplex unit and now the Advanced IP Scanner show it only having one IP address (118). I'm assuming that my internal router / DHCP server has some issue with the rasplex unit and over time issues it additional IP addresses. My internal network has 22 addresses used overall. multiple PC's , a network print server, two box NAS units ( NSA320 and 325 ) and NAS4Fee server with plex server installed in two separate jails, several roku 2xds's , android tablets and cell phones and the only device I've ever seen with this issue is the rasplex. I'll probably try a static IP , let it run for a month and see what happens. Thanks for all your help.

Accepted Answer

i stumbled over the answer to my own question and i though i might answer it here so if anybody else has the same problem they have an answer. i was using Advanced IP Scanner to view all connected devices and it turns out that the software keeps a history of previous scans of an ip range. The problem is that it never clears out the scan memory file. so a device with a dynamic ip address can show up in the list as being at several ip addresses at the same time. You can find info on manually deleting the history file on their website. After removing the history file - the rasplex unit only shows up at its current address.

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Posts: 368Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

also have in mind that if you use wan and lan the RPi will use and respond on both IPs