Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

My Plex Media Server won't launch on my Mac

timfarmer3386timfarmer3386 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The server was working fine and but has suddenly disappeared from the menu bar and now won't launch when I try to open from applications. I have updated my mac to the latest operating system and tried deleting and re-downloading the server but it still will not load. Is this a common problem and how would I go about finding out what has happened and fixing it? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

• eckartheckarth Posts: 450Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Did you also delete ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/, ~/Library/Caches/PlexMediaServer/ and ~/Library/Preferences/com.plexapp/plexmediaserver.plist when you tried to delete the server software?

However, I do not understand why you deleted the server software in the first place. It is seldom the app code which goes bad, but rather the data, as listed above. I suggest to move one after the other into a safe place and to try whether you can start the server. And have a look at the system log.

• game77geniegame77genie Posts: 1Members

I'm having the same issue an have tried many things

• Ged2001Ged2001 Posts: 2Members

was this ever resolved? i, at my whits end... ?

• 130designs130designs Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Having same issue, seems last update killed it. Tried the corrupt database fix but didn't work. Help....

• li4250li4250 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Having the same issue

• JVaultJVault Posts: 2Members

I am having the same issue also. I have looked everywhere and can not find a fix. I have been using Plex for years now and have never had any problem even resembling this.

I have a 2013 imac running the latest software, but one day plex suddenly quits and will not launch properly (icon dances up and down for about 10 seconds then quits. I have deleted, reinstalled and repeated many times. I have gone into the cache's and library as recommended to delete the other files, but on my mac the folders either do not exist or the folder is there but it has nothing inside of it to delete. I have installed it on a different computer, then transferred it to my external hard drive and tried to load it from there. It still will not launch but on the external a message pops up that did not before. It says the files in the Plex media server are damaged. But how can this be when I have deleted all traces of it on my computer, and have downloaded the file multiple times to make sure it is not damaged. The same file will load the server just fine on my older macbook.

This has been plaguing me for about 2 weeks now and as a heavy Plex user, it has been quite difficult. No one seems to have an answer and all similar threads end like this one, with no resolution. If any can help us out, it would be greatly apprieciated.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,586Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Best to try and see if the log file got written during the failed launch

For location of log files, see https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files
    If it is crashing before writing to the log file then would need to launch it in terminal and see what errors are returned

But first look for the logs

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• Gdr56Gdr56 Posts: 1,590Members ✭✭✭✭

@JVault said:
    I am having the same issue also. I have looked everywhere and can not find a fix. I have been using Plex for years now and have never had any problem even resembling this.

I have a 2013 imac running the latest software, but one day plex suddenly quits and will not launch properly (icon dances up and down for about 10 seconds then quits. I have deleted, reinstalled and repeated many times. I have gone into the cache's and library as recommended to delete the other files, but on my mac the folders either do not exist or the folder is there but it has nothing inside of it to delete. I have installed it on a different computer, then transferred it to my external hard drive and tried to load it from there. It still will not launch but on the external a message pops up that did not before. It says the files in the Plex media server are damaged. But how can this be when I have deleted all traces of it on my computer, and have downloaded the file multiple times to make sure it is not damaged. The same file will load the server just fine on my older macbook.

This has been plaguing me for about 2 weeks now and as a heavy Plex user, it has been quite difficult. No one seems to have an answer and all similar threads end like this one, with no resolution. If any can help us out, it would be greatly apprieciated.

Which Library, if you have not gone through the "Go" menu at top of screen you have used the wrong Library.

Hold down "Option" key and go to "Go" menu to find Library. Also make sure your logged in as administrator.

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Satellite TV: Foxtel Australia Q2. Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

• ryrrahryrrah Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 25

I have a similar problem. Trying to move PMS from an older mac mini to a newer one. I've tried various things, such as using migration assistant or following the instructions for moving from one computer to another, but in the end, I get the same result: for the same user name on the new computer, PMS crashes within about 10 -15 seconds and won't start after that. I tried deleting the files in ~/Library/Application Support and the preferences files, but got the same result. I can, however, create a new user, and run Plex as that user. Is there another file I should be deleting?

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,586Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@ryrrah said:
    I have a similar problem. Trying to move PMS from an older mac mini to a newer one. I've tried various things, such as using migration assistant or following the instructions for moving from one computer to another, but in the end, I get the same result: for the same user name on the new computer, PMS crashes within about 10 -15 seconds and won't start after that. I tried deleting the files in ~/Library/Application Support and the preferences files, but got the same result. I can, however, create a new user, and run Plex as that user. Is there another file I should be deleting?

See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201941078-Uninstall-Plex-Media-Server

Check that the user permissions are ok for ~/Library/Logs

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• JVaultJVault Posts: 2Members

@sa2000 said:

@ryrrah said:

See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201941078-Uninstall-Plex-Media-Server

Check that the user permissions are ok for ~/Library/Logs

The link provided helped finally solve my problem. I followed the instructions and deleted all the remaining files that I had apparently missed. Not sure exactly what file was having the problem but once deleted i reinstalled and it started right up. Thank you all for the help and feedback in solving this problem. I hope this helps others who can not figure this out also.

• peterhaytopeterhayto Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem here. I've done a MAC OSX reinstall. Looked for all the files listed for deletion but there were none present. When I start the app normally the Plex chevron flashes in the icon bar for a second then goes. Starting the app from Terminal gives the same effect but gives no error messages or logs that I have seen. What can I do? It's driving me nuts!

Sierra 10.12.6 with Latest download from Plex website 1.9.0.4252-d07c1f408
    September 8, 2017
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B1B
    SMC Version (system): 1.62f7
    Serial Number (system): W80193T8ATP
    Hardware UUID: 4A2515A6-61A6-5C41-AA9A-DBB9532F3B66
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

• Gdr56Gdr56 Posts: 1,590Members ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18

@peterhayto said:
    Same problem here. I've done a MAC OSX reinstall. Looked for all the files listed for deletion but there were none present. When I start the app normally the Plex chevron flashes in the icon bar for a second then goes. Starting the app from Terminal gives the same effect but gives no error messages or logs that I have seen. What can I do? It's driving me nuts!

Sierra 10.12.6 with Latest download from Plex website 1.9.0.4252-d07c1f408
    September 8, 2017
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B1B
    SMC Version (system): 1.62f7
    Serial Number (system): W80193T8ATP
    Hardware UUID: 4A2515A6-61A6-5C41-AA9A-DBB9532F3B66
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

I believe you must be looking in the wrong Library.

Whilst holding down the "Option"key, navigate to menu bar where you will find the "Go" menu. You should see the hidden "Library". This is the correct Library.

Or Alteratively you can read the following article from Macworld, that will work with Sierra.

https://www.macworld.com/article/2057221/how-to-view-the-library-folder-in-mavericks.html

Now if your not comfortable doing the above, installing "App Cleaner" which is free makes it very simple to locate all those hard to find parts of any app installed.

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Satellite TV: Foxtel Australia Q2. Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.