If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

will rasplex bitstream atmos?

lpllpl Posts: 74Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi all,
I am currently running rasplex on a pi2. Even though I know my amp supports true HD audio and master HD audio etc I am finding that whereas when running plex through other devices the amp would display as receiving and outputting True HD signal etc however it doesnt when playing movies via rasplex. As a result I suspect I am not getting the best sound my files have available , how do I ensure I have the correct settings on the Pi2 and within rasplex and fix it so that the amp displays the audio signal being processed. Which brings me to my second point, I am looking to upgrade to an atmos setup shortly and am concerned as to whether rasplex will be able to output in the format required for the amp to detect and utilise the atmos soundtrack, can anyone advise whether they have properly detected and executed atmos playback via rasplex.

Any help and advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

Answers

• KnightOrcKnightOrc Posts: 233Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Both the RPi1 and 2 only support bitstreaming up to Dolby 5.1 and DTS5.1 (aka DTS Core), the rest either have to be transcoded by Plex Media Server or decoded locally (RPi2 only, needs a lot of CPU power) and streamed as PCM.

So no DTS-HD, TrueHD or Atmos stuff will bitstream.

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,736Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Next release will bitstream DTS-HD MA to 7.1

Regards

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."
  • KnightOrcKnightOrc Posts: 233Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No, it will not bitstream DTS-HD 7.1, it will decode it and stream a 7.1 PCM stream if you have an RPi2 and configure it to do software decoding of DTS-HD.

• StridhStridh Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I need some clarity in this question. Will it bitstream dts hd and true hd to my amp in the future? or will it decode and output pcm stream?

I have a Pi2 now that I like, but I look forward to play the HD audio.

Sorry for the confusion.

The next release will have support for libdcadec to decode DTS-HD MA to 8 channel LPCM and dca-ma is added as a known audio codec.

For info, theora, vp6, vp8 and vp6f have also been added to known codecs

I have played test files with TrueHD, Atmos and DTS-HD MA in 7.1 whilst testing.

Regards

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

• StridhStridh Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

when will the new version come out? Do you need any beta testers?

When's it's ready ;;)

Regards

• BOONTOKBOONTOK Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

OpenPHT w/ Odroid C2 handles Dolby Atmos with no problem. Heck, my old Lenovo box (2.6GHz Pentium dual-core, 4GB RAM, a 60GB SSD, and a 1GB video card with HDMI) dishes out Dolby Atmos all day and direct plays every one of my files.