If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

¿Subtitles via DLNA without transcoding?

frei.federicofrei.federico Posts: 6Members ✭✭

It is possible? Any experience?

Best Answer

Answers

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 4,970Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited January 2016

The only possible way with Plex is embedded subtitles via direct play.

Any transcoding or remuxing to the original file will strip out the subtitles in the new stream.

• frei.federicofrei.federico Posts: 6Members ✭✭

@jmckee said:
    The only possible way with Plex is embedded subtitles via direct play.

Any transcoding or remuxing to the original file will strip out the subtitles in the new stream.

Thanks for taking your time to reply, jmckee.

So if i have a external .srt subtitle... the only way to play the file via DLNA without transcoding, it's embedding it in the movie/show video file? I have to do this manually file by file, or Plex does have an option that I dont know?

• vahid_shirvanivahid_shirvani Posts: 3Members

In my opinion the remuxing of subtitle into the container should be part of the "Direct Stream" feature. While Direct Stream is inserting the audio and video tracks into a new container, it could also add external subtitles as separate tracks. Some DLNA players will only display subtitles if they are embedded into the container. Doing this manually for every file with mkvmerge is a pain. Burning in subs by transcoding is not an option for many weak servers either. Remuxing on the fly should be way less taxing.