If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

(Bug) Music Library: ALAC with high bitrates

moody_bluemoody_blue Posts: 2,858Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I have some m4a files encoded in Apple lossless whose bitrate is higher than 1000Kbps. They do not play (my server has transcoding disabled), and I suspect that if transcoding was enabled (I can't do that, my Syno has an ARM processor and transcoding cannot be enabled) they would play with reduced quality.

XMLConverter.py has the following code:

maxAudioBitrateUncompressed = '1000'

audioATVNative = \
            Media.get('audioCodec','-') in ("mp3", "aac", "ac3", "drms") and \
            int(Media.get('bitrate','0')) <= int(maxAudioBitrateCompressed) \
            or \
            Media.get('audioCodec','-') in ("alac", "aiff", "wav") and \
            int(Media.get('bitrate','0')) <= int(maxAudioBitrateUncompressed)

The fact is that, if I change maxAudioBitrateUncompressed to 2000 all goes well. But looking at ATV3 specs I don't see the need to have a check for maxAudioBitrateUncompressed at all

Audio Formats

HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

Can we have that check removed ? Or maxAudioBitrateUncompressed value increased to at least 2000Kbps ?

QNAP TS-253A 4G QTS 4.3.4.0387 (beta2) + PMS 1.9.7.4460 (plex pass) + QPython2 2.7.12.0 + PlexConnect 0.5-dev-161017

TV Sony KDL-32V2500 (720p) + aTV3 Rev. A firmware 7.2.2 + Denon AVR-1604 A/V Receiver 5.1 + Harmony Touch

Portables 1x iPad4, 2x Android phone, 1x Android tablet, 2x PMP on Win10

No support via PM unless requested by me

Comments

• baabaa Posts: 3,954Members, Plex Pass, Forum Moderator Forum Mod

Did we take abut that some time ago? Wasn't the "uncompressed 100kbps" your proposal?
    :-D

Plex @ aTV - think different: PlexConnect

-> the missing link between Plex Media Server and your AppleTV - 2 or 3, jailbroken or not.

plex forums: [PlexConnect] -- github: [latest Sources], [Wiki] -- donations (paypal): [US-$][EUR]

• moody_bluemoody_blue Posts: 2,858Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited January 2016

Yes Baa, 1000 was my proposal, but in the meantime I've found other alac files with higher bitrate, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to have a limit. Probably 2000 is too high to be exceeded for any stereo content. So far the highest bitrate that I've seen is 1080kBit/s, but I'm still converting my CD's to alac, so it's possible that some musics can exceed the 1080 value.

Incidently, my largest music file is ~106Mb in size but its bitrate is "only" 825kBp/s. If I remember well one of your objectives with this "limit bitrate" was to avoid LAN overrun with large files. What I observe is that the first song of an album takes some seconds (perhaps 3-5) to start, but I can skip to the following ones almost instantly. If that's the way that the aTV works, then I think that we cannot do nothing to improve it. In videos the file is "splitted into pieces" with the hls protocol, so we never have LAN overrun, but if music cannot be "splitted" then its better, I think, to support the overrun.

QNAP TS-253A 4G QTS 4.3.4.0387 (beta2) + PMS 1.9.7.4460 (plex pass) + QPython2 2.7.12.0 + PlexConnect 0.5-dev-161017

TV Sony KDL-32V2500 (720p) + aTV3 Rev. A firmware 7.2.2 + Denon AVR-1604 A/V Receiver 5.1 + Harmony Touch

Portables 1x iPad4, 2x Android phone, 1x Android tablet, 2x PMP on Win10

No support via PM unless requested by me