Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

REQUEST: HEVC 10 bit direct play support

Currently on my Vizio M70-C3, the plex client is transcoding 1080p HEVC 10bit and 4k HEVC 10bit content to 1080p h264 8bit.
The TV is perfectly capable of playing HEVC 10bit and can do so via the DLNA client. Ive tried changing the opera profile to support this format but it always decides to transcode. There is much more 4k content available now in 10bit then in 8bit hevc. To further add to this fire, the DLNA server times out when viewing a folder with any reasonable amount of files in it. This makes actually using the DLNA client to watch 10bit content even more difficult.
I should also note that 4k images through the plex client are also converted into 1080p... infact the only thing this plex client has ever successfully played as 4k is a h265 8bit mkv file.

Plex 2.4.36
Vizio Sigma 1.3.15-UHD

Comments

• seth586seth586 Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1, I'm using the P series Vizio, and its sad that I have to use DLNA instead of plex!

• augneraugner Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

agreed. i've haven't seen much of any h265 8bit content. what's the technical issue on adding 10bit support?

• yauhen.bondarevyauhen.bondarev Posts: 2Members

Same goes for LG 2016 year UHD TVs and unfortunately it has been a year since original post and it's much more HDR content now :/

• abh23abh23 Posts: 5Members ✭✭

I'm using 2016 Samsung and can play HEVC 10bit & 8bit via USB, with plex i can only direct play HEVC 8bit. Is there any workaround for direct play/streaming HEVC 10bit?

Plex : 3.0.10 (2.13.1)
    Tizen : 2.4.0

• Superb88Superb88 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

950 views and only 4 comments? Don't more people need this? Come on!

• oliwattsoliwatts Posts: 14Members ✭✭

Yeah, absolutely. I need directly play for H.265 to Samsung devices.

• AlcedemaAlcedema Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same, my LG TV supports it all but plex keeps trying to transcode it.

• tomb18tomb18 Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I had some issues with my LG OLED but I solved them.
    However, I have a PC hooked up to the TV running Plex Media Player. At first I couldn't get any 4K material to play without a lot of buffering. Then I noticed that there was an option for Hardware decoding in the Plex Media Player in video settings section. I enabled that and now it's working flawlessly.
    In fact, I have this windows PC hooked to a NAS which runs the plex server. I can store the highest bitrate JellyFish demo which is 4K HVEC 10bit 400mb/s on my NAS and it will stream to the TV through the PC at full speed. In fact, pressing info shows it hit 581mb/s network stream speed. It plays flawlessly.
    So, all you need is a PC running plex server and Plex Media Player (both free) and a video card that can support HVEC decoding in hardware. I use thee lowest capable card, the nVidia GTX960.
    I think that this is a better choice than using the TV clients...many more updates

Apr 08, 2017 08:23:58.532 [7720] DEBUG - MDE: analyzing media item 4 Apr 08, 2017 08:23:58.532 [7720] DEBUG - MDE: *****: Direct Play is disabled Apr 08, 2017 08:23:58.532 [7720] DEBUG - MDE: *****: media must be transcoded in order to use the hls protocol Apr 08, 2017 08:23:58.532 [7720] DEBUG - ***** - video.profile limitation applies: main 10 != main [list] Apr 08, 2017 08:23:58.532 [7720] DEBUG - ***** - video.profile limitation applies: main 10 != main [list]

i think the problem is video profile limitation on plex media player, i try to change profile for samsung on server to 10bit but no luck.

I see option for x264 profile (4.0, 4.1, etc.)
    It will be nice to see option for video profile limitation 10bit/8bit like the one we've got for x264, in case the tv do not support it.

Hope it will apply for the next update.

Plex : 3.0.10 (2.13.1)
    Tizen : 2.4.0

edited April 14

This is my edited profile in case someone need it.

HEVC/x265 8bit = Direct Play
    HEVC/x265 10bit = No Direct Play

Update:
    New update Plex 3.0.11 will direct play hevc 8bit with default profile, still hevc 10bit cannot direct play always transcoding.

Hope future update will resolve this issue

• fdjanjua@gmail.comfdjanjua@gmail.com Posts: 1Members

Desperately need the direct play support for HEVC 10-bit content

• RedSectorRedSector Posts: 30Members ✭✭
    edited April 28

@fdjanjua@gmail.com said:
    Desperately need the direct play support for HEVC 10-bit content

+1 My LG TV can play HEVC 10-bit fine but Plex cant transcode it fast enough to keep up. Also the transcode uses 98% CPU time yet any other transcode type uses 50-83% and never higher.

Something is still up with the way Plex deals with transcode of this type of codec

• QuarkWQuarkW Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 4

I'm a +1 for this as well. Plex Sync is basically useless for me as more of my content is becoming HEVC 10-bit

• ArturoVFArturoVF Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

We need 4k HDR 10 bit hevc direct play on LG WebOS 3, dnla and xplay support direct play

• mbze430mbze430 Posts: 122Members ✭✭

+1 so need HEVC 10bit direct play support

• thayiosthayios Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 11

One more +1 on this, I didn't realize that my Xbox One S nor TV would not be able to play 10 Bit HDR Movies :(

LG C65P OLED Here

• kko123kko123 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

+1 Need direct play for x265 10bit

• patkitchenpatkitchen Posts: 2Members

+1 how is this not a thing yet.

• patkitchenpatkitchen Posts: 2Members

4K HEVC original quality #XeonLivesMatter

• maboivinmaboivin Posts: 1Members

+1 for me too. I want to direct play 10-bit HEVC medias on my Samsung JS7000 as my server isn't able to support the load it takes to transcode the medias.