Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Using Apple Time Capsule as NAS for plex

optosonicoptosonic Posts: 1Members

I recently started using Plex on my AppleTV, and I'm very happy with it except that I have to leave my computer on all the time to access my Media server. So I am interested in installing my media server on a NAS so I can access it all the time whether my computer is on or not. I already have an Apple Time Capsule which I have setup to use as a NAS for other purposes. I was hoping to install my Plex Media Server on the Apple Time Capsule (or a drive attached to the Time Capsule). Is this possible to do? I see the list of NAS brands on the downloads page as options for doing this, but I'm hoping to make it work with the equipment I already have, so I don't have to buy an additional NAS. Can someone give me instructions for setting up my media server on an Apple Time Capsule?

Thank you!

Answers

• eckartheckarth Posts: 502Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No, unfortunately that version does not exist.

But if you are concerned about the power consumption and may be noise from your computer and if you are a little adventurous, then get a Bananapi or RaspberyPi 2 for a PMS. No noise, 5 W power consumption, 50 $. There are good instructions at https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/156162/guides-install-plex-media-server-on-armv7-sbc-e-g-raspberry-pi-2.

• macentinmacentin Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Hi,

I am in the same case.
    But could we have an idea from developers if it is in the loop of updates ?
    Because I have a list of NAS which are compatible, so why not the Time Capsule from Apple (I know it is more complicated with them but not impossible ;) ).

Many thanks in advance !

• AgentMaxAgentMax Posts: 386Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There is no open OS on the TimeCapsule.

• macentinmacentin Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Ok I did not know.. It's disappointing ! But important for Apple to provide a safety private cloud I think.

Many thanks for your answer !

• ArielhbArielhb Posts: 1Members

Unfortunatelly, I think that this is one of plex's flaws in Apple TV... For this reason I had to move to MrMc.

• vikaspell@gmail.comvikaspell@gmail.com Posts: 1Members

i have been using infuse 5 on apple tv to stream my media from time capsule... i just installed flex as someone recommended it to me.. but if it not going to access my media on the time capsule then what is the use.. if infuse can do it without any propietory software then so should you

• ericsalinasericsalinas Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@eckarth said:
    No, unfortunately that version does not exist.

But if you are concerned about the power consumption and may be noise from your computer and if you are a little adventurous, then get a Bananapi or RaspberyPi 2 for a PMS. No noise, 5 W power consumption, 50 $. There are good instructions at https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/156162/guides-install-plex-media-server-on-armv7-sbc-e-g-raspberry-pi-2.

hi, i know this is an old thread, but which one do you recommend? bananapi, raspbery pi 2, 3?

• eckartheckarth Posts: 502Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If you just want a Plex server, then the RaspberyPi 2 or 3 is the easiest solution. Just follow @uglymagoo 's instructions. He provides a repository for the installation. Very nice community service.

I would opt for the RaspberyPi 2. You will save a little money, but not that much. The 3 has WLAN and Bluetooth, but that is irrelevant for a server. You will be using a wired connection to your router!

However, if you want to use that thing also as a NAS or as a Time Capsule replacement, then I would suggest the BananaPi. The processor is a little less powerful than the ones used in the RaspberyPi 2 or 3, but the board offers a SATA port to connect a hard disk drive and gigabit ethernet. That pays off in these applications.

In the latter case you will have to install PMS step by step starting from the ReadyNAS version provided by plex. But you will find easy to follow instructions for that too.