Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[Re-Solved] N2800 CPU always at 100% usage since the last Plex update 0.9.15.2 and 1.7.3.3937

ptitsnakeptitsnake Members, Plex Pass Posts: 16 Plex Pass
edited June 24 in Thecus

Hello,

As with the previous update of Plex, since I installed the latest update (0.9.15.2) I encourred problem with the CPU usage. In fact, the CPU of my Thecus NAS N2800 is continuously at 100%

Can you propose a patch to remedy a problem is like with the older version.

Thank you beforehand,

Best Answers

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 28,099 Plex Team Member
    Accepted Answer

@ptitsnake - We understand that TheCus team have asked you to try now with firmware v3.02.00.4

Please let me know if that resolves the issue.

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

Answers

• latweeklatweek Members, Plex Pass Posts: 102 Plex Pass
    edited January 2016

What thecus version are you running, because I had thought that all the threads on this concluded a thecus firmware downgrade resolves this issue. From what I understand, past Plex releases have worked and new releases continue to work on thecus v2.05.08, just not on thecus vv2.05.12, including my N7510.

Shouldn't the conclusion be then, that Thecus made a change between 8 and 12 that is no longer compatible with Plex, since 10/15/15? It seems unclear as to whether it is Plex that broke something and so far, I've heard nothing directly from Plex taking responsibility.

• ptitsnakeptitsnake Members, Plex Pass Posts: 16 Plex Pass

Thanks latweek for your reply,
    but I can't downgrade my firmware to the v2.05.08 I get this message : "Lower update error
    The firmware version currently installed is newer than the version you are attempting to install.
    The firmware can not be updated to a lower version."

• latweeklatweek Members, Plex Pass Posts: 102 Plex Pass

Sure, you need to contact Thecus to get the downgrade patch. There are 2-3 threads about high CPU, one of them describes the process.

Thanks I will try immediatly

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 28,099 Plex Team Member

The Plex Development team are looking into this issue which appears to have started with theCus firmware update after v2.05.08

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

edited June 19

Hello,

I've updated my Thecus N2800 with the firmware 3.00.01.4.cdv and the CPU consumption is again a problem. The Plex process uses almost all of the available CPU:

It appears that the CPU consumption is linked to the Plex application:

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S% CPU% MEM TIME + COMMAND
      9145 root 20 0 474m 28m 11m S 334.0 1.4 3447: 31 Plex_Media_Serv
        20 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 21.5 0.0 166: 37.75 ksoftirqd / 3
        16 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 17.5 0.0 166: 33.23 ksoftirqd / 2
        12 root 20 0 0 0 0 R 12.2 0.0 165: 56.11 ksoftirqd / 1

Do you have an idea to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Ptitsnake.

@ptitsnake said:

Hello,

I've updated my Thecus N2800 with the firmware 3.00.01.4.cdv and the CPU consumption is again a problem. The Plex process uses almost all of the available CPU:

It appears that the CPU consumption is linked to the Plex application:

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S% CPU% MEM TIME + COMMAND
      9145 root 20 0 474m 28m 11m S 334.0 1.4 3447: 31 Plex_Media_Serv
        20 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 21.5 0.0 166: 37.75 ksoftirqd / 3
        16 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 17.5 0.0 166: 33.23 ksoftirqd / 2
        12 root 20 0 0 0 0 R 12.2 0.0 165: 56.11 ksoftirqd / 1

Do you have an idea to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Ptitsnake.

Last time this happened, it was a firmware issued fixed by TheCus Firmware 2.05.14.4 v2

See https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1187966/#Comment_1187966

@ptitsnake - could you get the Plex Media Server logs (ensuring debug logging enabled and server restarted) - with the logs captured when the cpu is that high so that we can see what Plex Media Server was doing at the time

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

We will raise it with TheCus but please do so as well. As mentioned the last time this arose, it was an issue with TheCus firmware which was subsequently fixed in a firmware release

Accepted Answer

@ptitsnake - We understand that TheCus team have asked you to try now with firmware v3.02.00.4

Please let me know if that resolves the issue.

Thanks sa200 for your help.

I just installed the latest firmware BETA available on the site of Thecus v3.02.00.04.
    And the problems of excessive CPU usage and RAM on used seem to have been solved:

Thank you again for your help,

Ptitsnake.

Thanks @ptitsnake for the feedback