If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Possible to track 2 split-apart movies separately?

rodhiltonrodhilton Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a few items in my Plex library that were originally a single item. For example, if you download X-Men: Days of Future Past as well as The Rogue Cut of the same film, Plex sees them as the same movie and merges them into a single library entry.

I can do "Split Spart" and have them be separate entries in the library, but what I've noticed is that if I watch one of them and say, stop half way through, the other one is also marked as being in progress, the same number of minutes in. Since these two versions of the movie have different runtimes, this is not the desired behavior.

Is there anything I can edit in the two library entries metadate to 'uniqueify' these films in some way so that the runtime and status of one doesn't affect the other?

Best Answer

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 27,341Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Plex doesn't support different "cuts" of one movie. Nor has it any means to treat, what it deems two versions of the same movie, separately.

You have two options:

• Unmatch one of the two versions
    • then go to Match - "Auto match" - Personal Media
    • fill in all the metadata yourself

Same as above, but use TheMovieDatabase (TMDB) instead of 'Personal Media'.
    Use this when your normal movie metadata agent is 'Freebase'.
    If you use TMDB as your default agent, then match one of the versions against 'Freebase' instead.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • rodhiltonrodhilton Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Method #2 seems to work when there's two, but what about if I have 3 similar cuts of a movie (for example, Star Wars despecialized, 35mm scan, and blu-ray).

I guess #1 would work, but what a pain. I just want to set the "id" or something so it stops trying to auto match to other entries. There's really no other way?

• afh414afh414 Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have succesffully split the 2 files (movie X-Men DOFP: Rogue Cut) but now when I play one version it shows both as being played and they are both showed under "Continue Watching". Why after splitting these is it treating it as if it is ONE movie?

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 7,094Members ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the way Plex works, unfortunately. It's been that way for years and isn't going to change any time soon.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 27,341Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited November 2017

@afh414 said:
    I have succesffully split the 2 files (movie X-Men DOFP: Rogue Cut) but now when I play one version it shows both as being played and they are both showed under "Continue Watching". Why after splitting these is it treating it as if it is ONE movie?

Because it really is the same movie. It is still X-Men.

If you really want Plex to treat your second version as a different movie, perform a 'Fix Match' on one of the versions.
    The endgame is to have one version matched to the 'Plex Movie' metadata agent
    and the other one to the TheMovieDatabase agent.

Then the two files are different movies to Plex.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • DeadMeatGFDeadMeatGF Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@OttoKerner said:
    Because it really is the same movie. It is still X-Men.

Technically not - there is X-Men DOFP (2014) and X-Men DOFP Rogue Cut (2015)
    In the same way as Aliens and Alien SE etc.

The inability to recognise this is pretty much the only major failing of Plex in my view.