If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[REL] Request Channel

ngovil21ngovil21 Posts: 223Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Request Channel

So I wanted to let my users request movies and TV Shows to be added to my server, but I didn't want to install another service so I made a Plex Channel for it. Plex Channel Development isn't the greatest but I think it works well enough.

You can find the bundle on Github at:
https://github.com/ngovil21/RequestChannel.bundle

Features:

• Allow users to search OpenMovieDatabase, TheMovieDatabase, TVDB for movies and tv shows, retrieving summaries and posters.
  • Manage the requests from users in one central location
  • Couchpotato and Sonarr support is integrated for automation. New: Manage Sonarr shows from within the plugin.
  • Pushbullet, Pushover, Email support is also included for notifications whenever a new request is made.

This will be a beta release so it may not be completely stable yet.

I have only tested this with PlexWeb and Android, so there may be more bugs on other platforms. Sometimes Plex won't want to show posters so you might have to manually change from list to another view format. Also in PlexWeb when entering in input, you have to use the searchbar, a new textbox won't pop up. On other platforms there you click the link and a box should pop up. The default Pushover key will have a limit of 7,000 hits per month, if you want to avoid this, you can use your own Pushover keys.

Let me know if there are bugs and feel free to fork the project on GitHub. If anyone would like to create some more icons that would be great as well.

* Note: Sharing Channels is currently a PlexPass only feature. See the following link on how to share channels
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204232573-Restricting-the-Shares

If you find a bug with the plugin, please post here or send me a PM with the Log. The location of the log can be found here:
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201106148-Channel-Log-Files

Changelog

3/24/17 - 0.9.0 - Added periodic checking for completed requests and user notifications
2/02/17 - 0.8.3 - Fixed adding movies to Radarr. Added year to movie titles during request.
2/02/17 - 0.8.2 - Added Radarr support for adding movies.
1/28/17 - 0.8.1 - Added Slack support for notifications, fix for Pushbullet, other minor changes.
8/25/16 - 0.8.0 - Added preliminary music with Headphones support, plus numerous minor changes.
3/15/16 - 0.7.5 - Added ability to toggle between alternative input menu and default device (use if menus options don't appear)
3/14/16 - 0.7.4 - Added ability to manage CouchPotato in channel
3/09/16 - 0.7.3 - Added Dutch translation by Ruvetuve
3/05/16 - 0.7.2 - Added support for search results in different languages using TMDB and TVDB. Fix for weekly limits in some clients
3/02/16 - 0.7.1 - Added French localization. Translation done by seb972.
2/28/16 - 0.7.0 - Users can view and delete their own requests.
2/27/16 - 0.6.9 - Added support for reporting problems with specific media files with ability to navigate through library.
2/19/16 - 0.6.8 - Use unique sessions for each login. Option to check admin user using plex.tv. Add Season Folder option to Sonarr.
2/17/16 - 0.6.7 - Add preliminary SickRage support. Ability to rename users.
2/16/16 - 0.6.6 - Fixed sending to Couchpotato when using TMDB. Also added posters when confirming request in Plex Web
2/15/16 - 0.6.5 - Fixes for managing users. More specific user information displayed and cosmetic improvements.
2/13/16 - 0.6.4 - Manage Sickbeard shows in the Channel, allowing for manually selecting of seasons and episodes
2/12/16 - 0.6.3 - Added rudimentary ability for users to notify admin user of problems. The issue will be sent to admin through notifications only. More features added to this in the future.
2/12/16 - 0.6.2 - Added ability to view changelog in the Plex Channel. Find under 'Manage Channel'.
2/11/16 - 0.6.1 - Changelog added. Version information will be added here. Added a ability to manage sonarr from the channel.

Screenshots

Movie Search Results

Comments

• VorlonzeVorlonze Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Seems to work Ok. I have it setup with Pushbullet and tested. Works fine.

I would like to see in the notification, the user who requested.

Also maybe email support.

2 Plex Servers
    AMD Athlon II X4 640 Quad Core, 8 Gigs RAM Windows 10 with PlexPy
    AMD Phenom 9550 Quad Core, 8 Gigs Ram Windows 10 with PlexPy
    Buffalo LS421DE NAS, 12TB + 4TB USB Drive (media storage)
    Pentium 4 Dual Core 3.0Ghz With 4x4TB drives (backup machine)
    Roku 3
    2xRoku Streaming Sticks
    2 HDHomerun Connect Digital Tuners (OTA Only)
    60/10 Internet

• ngovil21ngovil21 Posts: 223Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Vorlonze said:

Currently with the API I don't think there's a way to get the username, but I'm still trying to figure it out. Definitely limited by the api in terms of what I can do.

Email is on the to do list, I'll get it up soon.

@ngovil21 said:

@Vorlonze said:

Currently with the API I don't think there's a way to get the username, but I'm still trying to figure it out. Definitely limited by the api in terms of what I can do.

Email is on the to do list, I'll get it up soon.

Can't wait to test it. Thanks.

2 Plex Servers
    Roku 3
    2xRoku Streaming Sticks
    60/10 Internet

@Vorlonze

Email support is now added. It's pretty basic, no validation on the settings is done yet and it won't throw an error, so you the only way you'll know if it worked is if you get the email. Errors will also be printed in the logs.

If you're using gmail you need to allow less secure apps which you can see here:
    https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

The app still uses TLS to send emails, gmail just has extra checks by default.

The email is pretty basic, if you have a better template let me know and I can add it in.

@ngovil21 said:
    @Vorlonze

Email support is now added. It's pretty basic, no validation on the settings is done yet and it won't throw an error, so you the only way you'll know if it worked is if you get the email. Errors will also be printed in the logs.

If you're using gmail you need to allow less secure apps which you can see here:
    https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

The app still uses TLS to send emails, gmail just has extra checks by default.

The email is pretty basic, if you have a better template let me know and I can add it in.

Works! Love that it attaches the poster of the request.

I have it cloned with git so updating shouldn't be an issue.

Great Work!

2 Plex Servers
    Roku 3
    2xRoku Streaming Sticks
    60/10 Internet

Any chance you will be able to get this to work on Roku? All of my users have Roku 3 or Streaming Sticks. I tried it on my Roku 3 and when I Request a Movie or TV Show I get the message to put the name in the search box. Unfortunately there is no search box showing.

I don't give my users access to the web app for security reasons since its a Plex Home setup.

2 Plex Servers
    Roku 3
    2xRoku Streaming Sticks
    60/10 Internet

@Vorlonze Yeah for some reason the Plex team hasn't implemented the InputDirectory into the Roku client and some of the newer clients like iOS and PMP. The plugin is tested to work in PlexWeb, Android and the Windows Client. For a possible workaround, the Roku Classic client may still work or I could implement an alternative solution.

Someone created DumbKeyboard, which creates a list of all letters in a directory, it would be inconvenient, but the only workaround currently. I'll look into implementing it.

Let us know if you can implement for Roku, I'll give it a go.

2 Plex Servers
    Roku 3
    2xRoku Streaming Sticks
    60/10 Internet

• KeelanKeelan Posts: 177Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Works great, feature lacking obviously but it's a great start. Roku support would be nice (old client) not all users have roku 2s. Would have been nice integrated with the other request app but understandable.

• I agree seeing who requested
    • Provide hard max limit weekly

Great work been wanting something like this for a long time.

@Keelan Most of the lacking features are out of my control and are a limitation of the API. It will depend on the Plex Team to implement the API into the clients.

Plex also doesn't allow access to the client username, the best I would be able to use would be the client token which would have to be manually matched in the settings.

I could make a hard max weekly limit using the client token. I'll look into implementing that.

@Vorlonze I added an alternative keyboard as a workaround on clients that do not allow search. It's kind of clunky, but it's functional. You can try it on Roku. There's no way I know to distinguish between the new Roku client and the old Roku client as far as I know, so the old Roku client will be stuck with the clunky keyboard as well. Hopefully this works the best overall.

I tried it very briefly with the current Roku client and here was no keyboard. I will try and install the old one and give a go later today when I get home.

2 Plex Servers
    Roku 3
    2xRoku Streaming Sticks
    60/10 Internet

@Vorlonze After updating through git, did you restart the Plex service? The program needs to be restarted for changes in channels to show up. If you've updated and restarted the Plex Service could check the log to see if there's something? You could also PM it to me. Information finding the channel log can be found here

@ngovil21 said:
    @Vorlonze After updating through git, did you restart the Plex service? The program needs to be restarted for changes in channels to show up. If you've updated and restarted the Plex Service could check the log to see if there's something? You could also PM it to me. Information finding the channel log can be found here

I did not restart Plex Media Server. I will do that 1st when I log in to the server.

2 Plex Servers
    Roku 3
    2xRoku Streaming Sticks
    60/10 Internet

@Vorlonze said:

@ngovil21 said:

I did not restart Plex Media Server. I will do that 1st when I log in to the server.

I installed the Plex Classic channel and everything worked. I am used to keyboard as I use it all the time on other Roku channels. Sent the requests perfectly.

It does not work on the current plex channel. No keyboard comes up.

I checked the Plex Preview channel as well and no keyboard either.

Its going to be difficult to get all my users (2 of my wife's parents in there 70's and a couple techno deficiant users) to install the Plex Classic channel.

Good work so far though.

2 Plex Servers
    Roku 3
    2xRoku Streaming Sticks
    60/10 Internet

• bdrummbdrumm Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is awesome! Just had to give you a huge thank you for this! I will be trying to modify the icons and look through the code this weekend to see if any improvements can be had with it.

Again, Great Job!!

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,339Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

• sdlsatcomsdlsatcom Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ngovil21 said:
    Right now there is a limit of 7000 total api hits per month for Pushover, so if too many people use it we will hit that quickly. Pushbullet shouldn't have that problem.

there isn't a reason that users can't enter their own api key instead of using yours. This would eliminate the 7,000 limit being hit and notifications not getting delivered. In addition to the user key field you would need an api field as well and just pass the two variables.

@sdlsatcom said:

@ngovil21 said:
    Right now there is a limit of 7000 total api hits per month for Pushover, so if too many people use it we will hit that quickly. Pushbullet shouldn't have that problem.

there isn't a reason that users can't enter their own api key instead of using yours. This would eliminate the 7,000 limit being hit and notifications not getting delivered. In addition to the user key field you would need an api field as well and just pass the two variables.

That's true, I saw that in the Pushover documentation later. I'll add a Preference setting for that, and leave my api key as the default value.

• 9rax99rax9 Posts: 105Members ✭✭

I don't even understand what this is. And yet its another channel from the looks of it that doesn't work with Roku, adding to my very long list of channels for Plex that don't work.

~Running into error's on every channel listed~