If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Enable Pre-Roll Video WITHOUT Trailers

bcstmrbcstmr Posts: 1Members

I am interested in setting up a "pre-roll" video prior to any movie playing. I do not have PlexPass and I'm not interested in setting up local "extras" to use as trailers. I have the latest server version running on my Mac but I cannot get pre-roll videos to function at all. I've tried the Apple TV client and the web client.

My pre-roll video is already in my library in a misc. folder. I copied the URL from the web client and pasted it into the "Cinema Trailers pre-roll video" section of the Extras settings on the server. Whether or not I have any of the "include cinema trailers" options checked doesn't seem to matter.

What is the easiest way to have a pre-roll video play without using trailers? Do I have to enable "local" trailers and then set each client to 0 trailers before each movie? I would prefer not to see trailers at all, just my pre-roll video.

Answers

• rguptacarguptaca Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 2016

On the server set up your pre-roll.
    On the client set trailers to none/0. Location of setting depends on client.

Have an awesome day:)

Rav

Pay it forward!

• Jonathan VogelbuschJonathan Vogelbusch Posts: 73Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 2016

That actually does show neither trailers, nor the pre-roll on my plex web.

On my android this is working!

• NoctroxisNoctroxis Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can anyone at Plex enable this feature so we can force a pre-roll if a link is put in that box on the server side -OR- have it to where pre-roll plays on plex web as well if no trailers are selected"

How can such a minor request still be ignored?

• tylordurtontylordurton Posts: 466Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Also interested if a pre-roll can be activated without a trailer, what's the scoop?

• rbeatserbeatse Posts: 285Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I came to ask the same question and want to make sure I am reading it all right. I can place the URL in the pre-roll field and if I uncheck the rest of the boxes then the pre-roll should be the only thing to play before the movie.

But, if the person in charge of the player sets their number of trailers to 0/None, then they still will not get a trailer? Is that correct? Why can't I, as the Plex Media Server master, not force them to run and the player settings just determine how many additional trailers there are?

Or am I missing something all together?

• jarrettsuydamjarrettsuydam Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I too am interested in this feature to enable me to show a pre roll video of my choice. I have plex pass and have ZERO interest in playing any trailers. just a custom pre roll video of my choosing before every movie regardless of what the client side settings are. Thanks in advance.

this is still not implemented? How?!

• AviN456AviN456 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Absolutely agree. +1

• drhx97drhx97 Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 11

After reading up, I found this thread by astrozombie:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/7oiqd1/netflix_style_preroll/dsae31i/

which is currently working for me.

• jrcorwinjrcorwin Posts: 191Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 12

I thought you could only enable pre-roll videos if you added them to your library has content and then pasted the link to the video in the settings. I didn't think you could just point to a file location. EDIT: Never mind...I was wrong. Working fine.