Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Slice Media player

beyondajokebeyondajoke Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Hi there...thinking of buying a slice media player...can this run rasplex and will it pass dolby digital ac3 and dts core audio to my amp?

Best Answer

Answers

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,742 Plex Pass

I believe it uses a Raspberry Pi compute module, which is similar in architecture to the RPi B, not B2, and uses flash memory instead of an SD card, not sure you can reflash this. Rasplex has never been tested on the Slice and as far as I know no one has got it running (maybe someone can prove me wrong!). Seems like a bit of an overkill, especially in terms of price and additional inputs you'll never use.

Regards

• dlanordlanor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,215 Plex Pass
    edited February 2016

I found a product review on the net which implies that the Slice can be reflashed, though it doesn't give any details on how to do it. The review itself can be found at this URL: "http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/16/review_five_ninjas_slice_not_raspberry_pi/"

The critical quote about reflash-ability is on the third page of the review, which states:

Five Ninjas is quite happy if you re-flash the 4GB storage with another OS and turn it back into a Raspberry Pi. It wants Slice to be considered as hackable as the first Apple TV was.

Exactly what that means, and how such reflashing can be done remains to be seen.

Since the flash memory is integrated on the Raspberry Pi Compute Module board, it obviously can not be reprogrammed using the normal SD card flashers we've used for previous RPi computers. So the big question is whether or not the Slice design includes some means for reflashing, or if additional special hardware is required (in which case very few users will be interested in doing it).

The Raspberry Pi Compute Module is best described by those who made it, so here's a link to an article about it on the Raspberry Pi home site: "https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-compute-module-new-product/"

That article also hints at the ability to reflash the Slice, assuming that the Slice motherboard is based on the methods used for the "Compute Module IO Board" from the RPi foundation, which board does have the ability to flash the 4GB eMMC of the "Raspberry Pi Compute Module board".

Edit:
    I found another article "http://slicehowto.com/index.php?title=Hacks_and_tweaks#Slice_OS_update_procedure_.28or_to_install_different_OS_build.29"

This one describes how the Slice can be reflashed to different versions of the Slice firmware using a NOOBS recovery system screen to choose between different firmware versions. But it is NOT clear whether or not this also allows installation of unrelated firmwares (such as RasPlex), though I think it should be possible.

Best regards: dlanor

• bigcanarybigcanary Members Posts: 47 ✭✭

This doesn't really add anything to what @NedtheNerd said or address the OP's question.

@bigcanary said:
    This doesn't really add anything to what @NedtheNerd said or address the OP's question.

Are you seriously proposing that it's forbidden to expand on a topic in an effort to find the answers ?
    And how much did your own post add to what anyone said, or address any question whatever...?
    Bashing someone else's post without adding any new input of your own is generally considered 'trolling'. ;)

But such levity aside, an important part of the OP's questions was whether or not it would be possible to run RasPlex on it, and while my reply doesn't provide a definite answer to that question, it does provide some insight into that possibility. Being able to flash a different firmware is the most important step towards installing RasPlex, and information on that is what I was trying to provide.

Also, as you may recall, the ability to reflash the Slice is one of the things @NedtheNerd was uncertain of, so my reply most definitely did add something to what he was talking about.

• Steve_NZSteve_NZ Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

I've successfully installed Rasplex 0.7.1 on a Slice following the instructions in this thread.

http://forums.fiveninjas.com/t/suggestion-box-for-additions-enhancements-to-slice/900/75

It worked OK but for Plex a Pi2 with RasPlex is a better choice. With its internal storage Slice makes a good portable unit for Kodi, and it has sensible cable routing - unlike the other Pi boards which sprout cables like a hedgehog. Also it is heavy enough not to fall down the back of your equipment rack. The promised upgraded compute module should make it more competitive.

I haven't tried the current RasPlex on Slice so I can't tell you if that works.

Regards, Steve.

edited February 2016

Just reinstalled the latest Noobs software on the Slice, then the latest Stable Slice software. Copied the RasPlex .tar file into the /Update folder on Slice and then rebooted. So far all working fine. Some pllayback glitches but that's probably because I'm running a big backup job at the same time. So yes it works with RasPlex 1.0.2.

@Steve_NZ:
    I'm glad you were able to verify that RasPlex is Slice-compatible.

The reason it works to update the way you describe is probably because the Slice software is also based on OpenELEC, just like RasPlex is, so they share a common package structure.

• pdcoo7pdcoo7 Members Posts: 1

@Steve_NZ said:
    I've successfully installed Rasplex 0.7.1 on a Slice following the instructions in this thread.

http://forums.fiveninjas.com/t/suggestion-box-for-additions-enhancements-to-slice/900/75

It worked OK but for Plex a Pi2 with RasPlex is a better choice. With its internal storage Slice makes a good portable unit for Kodi, and it has sensible cable routing - unlike the other Pi boards which sprout cables like a hedgehog. Also it is heavy enough not to fall down the back of your equipment rack. The promised upgraded compute module should make it more competitive.

I haven't tried the current RasPlex on Slice so I can't tell you if that works.

Regards, Steve.

Steve any chance of providing a bit more detail about what you actually did to get Rasplex working on your Slice?
    A link to the latest noobs for instance would help, and having done that did you simply boot and select restore latest stable slice software from restore menu right at the beginning?
    Also the last step of copy paste the Rasplex.tar in /update folder, I believe I did this but Slice never booted into Rasplex.
    Cheers
    Paul

It was a while ago but the notes I made at the time were:

Installing RasPlex on Slice.

1. Update Slice to latest version by using the recovery mode.

2. Download the latest Pi 1 (not Pi2) .tar.gz file.

3. gunzip the RasPlex***.tar.gz file to extract the .tar file.

4. Copy the .tar file into the Update folder on the Slice.

5. Reboot.

I didn't end up using Slice for Rasplex as there are other cheaper options around, Pi3 or Wetek Hub would be my choice at the moment. I have upgraded my Slice boxes to CM3 and Libreelec/Kodi, haven't tried to install Rasplex on them yet.