PlexKodiConnect: let Kodi talk to your Plex
Combine the best frontend media player Kodi with the best multimedia backend server Plex
PKC combines the best of Kodi - ultra smooth navigation, beautiful and highly customizable user interfaces and playback of any file under the sun - and the Plex Media Server.
Have a look at some screenshots to see what's possible.
Please Help Translating
Please help translate PlexKodiConnect into your language: crowdin.com
- What does PKC do?
- PKC Features
- Download and Installation
- Important notes
- Request a New Feature
- Known Larger Issues
- Issues being worked on
Use at your own risk! This plugin assumes that you manage all your videos with Plex (and none with Kodi). You might lose data already stored in the Kodi video and music databases as this plugin directly changes them. Don't worry if you want Plex to manage all your media (like you should ;-)).
Some people argue that PKC is 'hacky' because of the way it directly accesses the Kodi database. See here for a more thorough discussion.
What does PKC do?
PKC synchronizes your media from your Plex server to the native Kodi database. Hence:
- Use virtually any other Kodi add-on
- Use any Kodi skin, completely customize Kodi's look
- Browse your media at full speed (cached artwork)
- Automatically get additional artwork (more than Plex offers)
- Enjoy Plex features using the Kodi interface
- Amazon Alexa voice recognition
- Plex Watch Later / Plex It!
- Plex Companion: fling Plex media (or anything else) from other Plex devices to PlexKodiConnect
- Plex Transcoding
- Automatically download more artwork from Fanart.tv, just like the Kodi addon Artwork Downloader
- Automatically group movies into movie sets
- Direct play from network paths (e.g. "\\server\Plex\movie.mkv"), something unique to PKC
- Delete PMS items from the Kodi context menu
- PKC is available in the following languages:
Download and Installation
Install PKC via the PlexKodiConnect Kodi repository below (we cannot use the official Kodi repository as PKC messes with Kodi's databases). See the github wiki installation manual for a detailed guide. Please use the stable version except if you really know what you're doing. Kodi will update PKC automatically.
|Stable version||Beta version|
- If you are using a low CPU device like a Raspberry Pi or a CuBox, PKC might be instable or crash during initial sync. Lower the number of threads in the PKC settings under Sync Options. Don't forget to reboot Kodi after that.
- PKC is currently not compatible with Kodi's Video Extras plugin. Deactivate Video Extras if trailers/movies start randomly playing.
- PKC is not (and will never be) compatible with the MySQL database replacement in Kodi. In fact, PKC replaces the MySQL functionality because it acts as a "man in the middle" for your entire media library.
- If another plugin is not working like it's supposed to, try to use PKC direct paths
I'm not in any way affiliated with Plex. Thank you very much for a small donation via ko-fi.com and PayPal if you appreciate PKC.
Full disclaimer: I will see your name and address on my PayPal account. Rest assured that I will not share this with anyone.
Request a New Feature
Known Larger Issues
Solutions are unlikely due to the nature of these issues
- A Plex Media Server "bug" leads to frequent and slow syncs, see here for more info
- Plex Music when using Addon paths instead of Native Direct Paths: Kodi tries to scan every(!) single Plex song on startup. This leads to errors in the Kodi log file and potentially even crashes. See the Github issue for more details
- Plex Music when using Addon paths instead of Native Direct Paths: You must have a static IP address for your Plex media server if you plan to use Plex Music features
- External Plex subtitles (in separate files, e.g. mymovie.srt) can be used, but it is impossible to label them correctly and tell what language they are in. However, this is not the case if you use direct paths
The Plex Server does not tell anyone of the following changes. Hence PKC cannot detect these changes instantly but will notice them only on full/delta syncs (standard settings is every 60 minutes)
- Toggle the viewstate of an item to (un)watched outside of Kodi
- Changing details of an item, e.g. replacing a poster
However, some changes to individual items are instantly detected, e.g. if you match a yet unrecognized movie.
Issues being worked on
- PlexKodiConnect shamelessly uses pretty much all the code of "Emby for Kodi" by the awesome Emby team (see https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby). Thanks for sharing guys!!
- Plex Companion ("PlexBMC Helper") and other stuff were adapted from @Hippojay 's great work (see https://github.com/hippojay).
- The foundation of the Plex API is all iBaa's work (https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect).