If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PlexKodiConnect: let Kodi talk to your Plex

Answers

• CoxeroniCoxeroni Posts: 608Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@croneter said:

@Coxeroni said:
    How are different managed users handled in PKC? Any chance to use this? Most important is the watch state of certain shows, but also the restricted access with the kids account. The latter might be doable via Kodis user management right?

See https://github.com/croneter/PlexKodiConnect/wiki/Several-Plex-Users

I read that but didn't get it :D do I specify e.g. the managed user "kids" in PKC when I set-up a new Kodi user "kids"? Does this user than also only sync the files they should be able to see? I guess trakt sync works via the trakt Kodi add-on?

• cronetercroneter Posts: 1,065Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 16

@Coxeroni said:

@croneter said:

@Coxeroni said:
    How are different managed users handled in PKC? Any chance to use this? Most important is the watch state of certain shows, but also the restricted access with the kids account. The latter might be doable via Kodis user management right?

See https://github.com/croneter/PlexKodiConnect/wiki/Several-Plex-Users

do I specify e.g. the managed user "kids" in PKC when I set-up a new Kodi user "kids"?

• Set-up a new PLEX managed user "kids": https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/203948776-Managed-Users
    • Set-up a new KODI user for your kids, e.g. named "Kodi-Kids" (the name of the profile does not matter). See http://kodi.wiki/view/Profiles. Also either use the "Master-user" profile for parents or set-up another profile named "Kodi-Parents"
    • Log-on to Kodi with that new Kodi profile "Kodi-Kids"
    • Set-up PKC, choose the PLEX user "kids"
    • Log-on to Kodi with the Kodi profile "Parents", set-up PKC and choose the PLEX user "parents"

Now if you want to switch Plex users, simply switch between the Kodi profiles "Kodi-Kids" & "Kodi-Parents"

Does this user than also only sync the files they should be able to see?

Exactly. They won't be able to see anything else

I guess trakt sync works via the trakt Kodi add-on?

Yes. PKC has nothing to do with the trakt add-on

@Coxeroni
    I also updated the wiki. Is it now more understandable? :wink:

• CoxeroniCoxeroni Posts: 608Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@croneter said:
    @Coxeroni
    I also updated the wiki. Is it now more understandable? :wink:

Well yes it was not so bad before either, it was just me being stupid :D anyway thanks a lot for clearing things up.

• funsurferfunsurfer Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass

@croneter said:

@funsurfer said:
    Hi,
    The PKC is Asking me for the Pin in every reboot of Kodi. I am Udinese libreelec Build from milhouse. With Kodi 18 brgds

Go to the PKC settings in Kodi, then plex.tv. Disable the option Automatically log into plex.tv on startup
    Also see https://github.com/croneter/PlexKodiConnect/wiki/PKC-settings

I have set this, but did nit work.

• hstamashstamas Posts: 570Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 16

Haven’t given up on PKC since I’ve been here from the beginning but the WAF has forced me to fall back to using a standard Plex client for the time being. That being said, I don’t have any logs for you but still wanted to throw this out there out of curiosity if anyone experiences 2 recurring problems I have.

PKC was tested on Kodi 16-17-18 and fed from an i7 powered Mac Mini via wired Ethernet to a Nvidia Shield:

Lip sync issues when playing Plex DVR recorded MPEG2 files. If using skip forward/back a lot or within about 20 minutes of playtime, audio will almost consistently go Out of sync. This does not happen using straight up Kodi nor via an Emby setup.

Shows not being marked as watched. This one drives me nuts. If I finish an episode to the end or stop it within a minute or 2 near the end it gets marked as watched. If I then back out of the library list and the go back in, it’s then marked as resumable. Again this does not happen with the exact same setup using straight Kodi nor an Emby setup.

What the heck is different with my configuration that only when using PKC does this happen?

hstamas

@hstamas said:
    Haven’t given up on PKC since I’ve been here from the beginning but the WAF has forced me to fall back to using a standard Plex client for the time being.

Sounds rather negativ to me... WAF here is fine.

Lip sync issues when playing Plex DVR recorded MPEG2 files. If using skip forward/back a lot or within about 20 minutes of playtime, audio will almost consistently go Out of sync. This does not happen using straight up Kodi nor via an Emby setup.

Sorry to tell you that PKC has nothing to do with playback, this is all handled by Kodi (and Plex in the background). You'll have to google around...

Shows not being marked as watched. This one drives me nuts. If I finish an episode to the end or stop it within a minute or 2 near the end it gets marked as watched. If I then back out of the library list and the go back in, it’s then marked as resumable. Again this does not happen with the exact same setup using straight Kodi nor an Emby setup.

Just double checked and I cannot reproduce this issue. Have you tried another skin? Other than that, I need logs

@funsurfer said:

@croneter said:

@funsurfer said:
    Hi,
    The PKC is Asking me for the Pin in every reboot of Kodi. I am Udinese libreelec Build from milhouse. With Kodi 18 brgds

Go to the PKC settings in Kodi, then plex.tv. Disable the option Automatically log into plex.tv on startup
    Also see https://github.com/croneter/PlexKodiConnect/wiki/PKC-settings

I have set this, but did nit work.

I also need logs: https://github.com/croneter/PlexKodiConnect/wiki/How-to-Report-A-Bug

• hstamashstamas Posts: 570Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@croneter said:

Just double checked and I cannot reproduce this issue. Have you tried another skin? Other than that, I need logs

Didn’t mean this to come across as a negative post. Just need to go back to a stable setup as I can’t deal with family members getting annoyed when a show we previously watched is being displayed as new and unwatched 30 seconds later.

I have tried so many skins over the years I’ve lost count but I can confirm that this happens with all versions of the default skins.

It’s definitely connected with PKC since the second I remove it, all works as expected. Of source there most likely is something unique to my setup that is triggering it since there isn’t a lot of complaints here concerning it.

Next time I install PKC I will certainly get you some logs.

hstamas

• chrisoldroydchrisoldroyd Posts: 114Members, Plex Pass ✭✭
    edited July 16

Finally got this setup using Direct SMB streams and have a couple of issues I would appreciate some guidance on please.

I have 4 movie libraries (Movies, Music Videos, Home Movies and Fitness Videos) and I have them all setup as menus in my Aeon Nox skin and all work fine. My issue is with wallpapers, I have my Movies screen setup for Random Movie Fanart which works sometimes however I keep getting blank screens as it is trying to show Fanart for my fitness videos which are in a different node.

I also get a lot of blank screen in my TV home screen as the fanart is setup for Random Fanart and is missing a few shows and just shows a black screen?

I use the Wall view in movies and have around 600, the artwork on the wall seems a little slow to show, if i scroll down fast it shows a few blanks quite often. This never happened when I used the Emby setup similar to this. I have artwork cached so not sure if this is something that will improve over time?

Any advice would be appreciated as this is nearly bloody awesome, thanks for doing it!

Thanks
    Chris

@chrisoldroyd said:
    Finally got this setup using Direct SMB streams and have a couple of issues I would appreciate some guidance on please.

I have 4 movie libraries (Movies, Music Videos, Home Movies and Fitness Videos) and I have them all setup as menus in my Aeon Nox skin and all work fine. My issue is with wallpapers, I have my Movies screen setup for Random Movie Fanart which works sometimes however I keep getting blank screens as it is trying to show Fanart for my fitness videos which are in a different node.

I also get a lot of blank screen in my TV home screen as the fanart is setup for Random Fanart and is missing a few shows and just shows a black screen?

I use the Wall view in movies and have around 600, the artwork on the wall seems a little slow to show, if i scroll down fast it shows a few blanks quite often. This never happened when I used the Emby setup similar to this. I have artwork cached so not sure if this is something that will improve over time?

Any advice would be appreciated as this is nearly bloody awesome, thanks for doing it!

Thanks
    Chris

Glad you got it to work with direct paths :wink: .

• Yes, your fitness videos are still labeled as "Movies" and thus their background artwork shows up. I'm thinking of providing a way to categorize a Plex library as "Music Videos" thus giving you a way to have two broad video categories.
    • Actually showing background images is entirely controlled by the Kodi skin in use. You might want to try another one if you're not satisfied with Aeon Nox.
    • PKC downloads artwork (incl. additional artwork Plex does not server) in the background. This lets you sync much faster than Emby. If you've just installed PKC and did not give it any time to do that and start browsing around, a lot of art will still be missing. This results in black screens and/or "slow" browsing. Just let Kodi sit for a while; 30min should be enough

Glad you got it to work with direct paths :wink: .

• Yes, your fitness videos are still labeled as "Movies" and thus their background artwork shows up. I'm thinking of providing a way to categorize a Plex library as "Music Videos" thus giving you a way to have two broad video categories.

Emby must do this as it doesn't happen using their addon?

• Actually showing background images is entirely controlled by the Kodi skin in use. You might want to try another one if you're not satisfied with Aeon Nox.

I love Aeon Nox and use it all the time, again, no issue with Emby Addon

• PKC downloads artwork (incl. additional artwork Plex does not server) in the background. This lets you sync much faster than Emby. If you've just installed PKC and did not give it any time to do that and start browsing around, a lot of art will still be missing. This results in black screens and/or "slow" browsing. Just let Kodi sit for a while; 30min should be enough

@chrisoldroyd
    Then you might just want to let PKC sit to let it download your artwork in the background and everything should be fine. Report back here if it does not work

@croneter said:
    @chrisoldroyd
    Then you might just want to let PKC sit to let it download your artwork in the background and everything should be fine. Report back here if it does not work

I left it and the fan art seems to have completed and no more black screens so that is sorted. Shame I can't stop it showing images of my workout videos under movies.

I don't know if I am being fussy or not but i use the Wall view in Aeon Nox and the images are slow to load and when scrolling fast they don't load up fast enough. Is this normal behaviour, I have uploaded to youtube so you can see what I mean.

edited July 17

@chrisoldroyd
    This is entirely controlled by Kodi, not PKC, just to be clear here

• Did you try to restart Kodi? :wink:
    • How does your Kodi machine look like?
    • Did you have the same experience with the same skin without PKC?

edit: Just checking here on my machine. Could be that there's something off with the caching mechanism :neutral:

edit2: Yes, if you restart Kodi too soon, images won't get cached. Thanks very much for the bug report! See https://github.com/croneter/PlexKodiConnect/issues/323

@croneter Ok I have done a fresh install and its way better now on my laptop. I have switched my Main Fire TV from Emby to PKC and not told the wife. It looks identical so lets see if she noticea any differences in performance....

Thank you for the support, really great to have you around for assistance!

edited July 18

I thought I had this all working but as soon as I add new content to my server I am getting this error message.

Any ideas where to start looking for the fix? If I just hit no it finishes the sync and the new content appears and plays fine.

edited July 19

@chrisoldroyd
    Well that's probably a misconfiguration of your direct paths. Plex does not tell Kodi an actual media file name here (just the path d:\TV\Scrubs)

edited July 19

I can't understand this direct paths setup. I have two PKC setups one on my Windows Laptop and the other on a Fire TV.

They are both setup identically, native paths but I let PKC make the changes and have added nothing manually. They both playback everything without issue. The only difference is when you add new content, only the Fire TV throws that error.

My content is stored on a Windows machine that acts purely as a server and my paths within Plex Server are setup as below:-

\192.168.0.69\d\Films
    \192.168.0.69\d\TV
    \192.168.0.69\d\Music

I have my share setup on my laptop as below and it doesn't produce the same error as the Fire TV. Do I need to add a share in Kodi File Manager the same way?

I am confused, please enlighten me.

Thanks
    Chris

@chrisoldroyd
    Thanks for your info, very detailed. I am confused as well, everything is fine and correct except for your Fire TV throwing an error it should not be throwing.
    Could you be so kind and log a new issue on github and share your PKC debug logs? Do enable debug logging in the PKC settings. Then try to catch PKC throwing that error and also you playing some Plex media, just in case. Please see https://github.com/croneter/PlexKodiConnect/wiki/How-to-Report-A-Bug