Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PlexKodiConnect: let Kodi talk to your Plex

Answers

• cronetercroneter Members, Plex Pass Posts: 953 Plex Pass

@xyrgh said:
    This is great! I'm currently torn between emby server and Plex server. The main reason being, the PlexBMC addon is quite laggy. My understanding is the difference between emby for kodi and plexbmc is that emby for kodi caches the artork locally (so it utilises the local client's sqlite database).

Is this the same for PlexKodiConnect? If so, wow, this is exactly what I want. I'm going to hold off from trying this out for now until it's developed more, but this very addon could make me switch back to Plex.

Exactly :-)

• xyrghxyrgh Members Posts: 42 ✭✭

@croneter said:

@xyrgh said:
    This is great! I'm currently torn between emby server and Plex server. The main reason being, the PlexBMC addon is quite laggy. My understanding is the difference between emby for kodi and plexbmc is that emby for kodi caches the artork locally (so it utilises the local client's sqlite database).

Is this the same for PlexKodiConnect? If so, wow, this is exactly what I want. I'm going to hold off from trying this out for now until it's developed more, but this very addon could make me switch back to Plex.

Exactly :-)

I'm on board then! Going to be watching the development closely, thankyou!

• KJKingJKJKingJ Members, Plex Pass Posts: 51 Plex Pass

After seeing the updated README, I made a Plex Home by enabling the Guest Account. After doing a full reset, including plugin settings, I was able to login and the sync process started successfully (no more 'TypeError: expected a character buffer object'). Although the sync has hung without fully completing, the entries that did sync seem to play without issue - progress!

This is on Kodi Jarvis however, i'll try downgrading to Helix later today and see if I encounter any issues.

Thanks again for your work on this!

• bigbadrabbitbigbadrabbit Members, Plex Pass Posts: 289 Plex Pass
    edited March 2016

Tried again with a complete reinstall of Kodi 16 for Mac.

Nothing installed except:
    plugin.video.plexkodiconnect.movies
    plugin.video.plexkodiconnect.tvshows
    plugin.video.plexkodiconnect

Enter PIN
    Select server
    Select user --> "Could not login" again and again

Here's my log.
    Thanks!

@bigbadrabbit said:
    Tried again with a complete reinstall of Kodi 16 for Mac.

Nothing installed except:
    plugin.video.plexkodiconnect.movies
    plugin.video.plexkodiconnect.tvshows
    plugin.video.plexkodiconnect

Enter PIN
    Select server
    Select user --> "Could not login" again and again

Here's my log.
    Thanks!

Thanks!! Will be pushin an update shortly with a re-wired userclient.

• MartinAylaMartinAyla Members, Plex Pass Posts: 848 Plex Pass

Thanks for working on this croneter, I look forward to try it out.

/Martin

• sylussylus Members, Plex Pass Posts: 42 Plex Pass

Just for clarification. Is my understanding right, that every skin will work with this plugin as kodi thinks the libary is local?

edited March 2016

Sorry guys, the userclient takes longer than anticipated. Hope to update tonite.

My "The lord of the rings: xxx" movies work! I'd be very happy if you could provide me with logs of movies that get stuck.

• hstamashstamas Members, Plex Pass Posts: 564 Plex Pass

Yep. I did install the wrong versions. Didn't notice the little note above the standard download links.

Sorry to say that these proper versions result in the same library sync crash. Tried the exact same install out on an older Windows 7 laptop I have and same thing.

I have not tried this with Plex Home enabled as of yet.

@croneter said:

@mini.PLEX said:

@croneter said:
    Thanks for your time and nerves for testing :-)

I do have colons : in my movie titles; works fine. Does it help if you turn off "Show syncing Progress" in the Settings?

no afraid not... turning off "show syncing progress" does not appear to have stopped the colon issue I am experiencing.

ps. happy to assist.

Edit: on a mac, running latest PlexPass PMS... grabbed the last Isengard release... is there any known issues running Jarvis with PlexKodiConnect? I only ask as I could not install any of the zips due to dependancy issues

Don't really have a Mac for testing. Did you install the 3 (!!) correct packages WITHOUT the "1.0.0" at the end of each filename? @hstamas for example installed the PlexKodiConnect source zip if I see the "addons\PlexKodiConnect-1.0.0" in his log

Got to figure out how to tell Github not to version the folder names :-)

hstamas

Ive made some progress.

Fresh install of the "correct" files on a Windows 10 PC including a fresh install of Kodi 16 Jarvis.

I turned on Plex Home by creating a guest account (I don't normally share my server with anyone).

This time around I was able to sync 750 movies and then up to 1600 out of my 4500 TV shows. Kodi never locked up but the sync did freeze at about the 1600th episode.

I went in to the settings and under Sync Options dialed down the "Limit download sync threads" to 1. Restarted Kodi and the sync completed successfully.

Ive verified that a movie plays correctly.

Haven't had time to do anything else but did want to report that marking a move as watched in Kodi instantly marks it as watched on PMS. Marking a movie as watched on PMS does NOT instantly mark the movie as watched in Kodi. Restarting Kodi and everything is synced. Is this the expected behavior or should Kodi be updating itself automatically? I usually leave my instance of Kodi running 24/7 so not having an automatic refresh might be an issue.

Ive also verified that the companion feature is working (helper app)! I can control Kodi via Plex for IOS and also initiate playback.

Im excited!!

hstamas

edited March 2016

New observation. If I am in any kind of screen that has a list of items, be it my movie library or even a setting screen that has a scrollable amount of setting I get a constant quick pop up saying "compressing database" and the list I'm in seems to be constantly refreshing.

hstamas

And one last note for the day. Left Kodi just idle and running. Within about 30 minutes it crashed (I was doing nothing with it) with the error: "Exception caught on main loop. Exiting"

hstamas

• _Francesco__Francesco_ Members, Plex Pass Posts: 238 Plex Pass

Great news. I'm going to try this on my openelec android box as soon as I get back home

edited March 2016

New version is out: https://github.com/croneter/PlexKodiConnect/releases/tag/1.0.1. New userclient should work much better now, e.g. also for the non-plex home users.

Please post some logs regarding the library sync crashes (follow the guidlines in the first post). I do not manage to crash my version... :-/

• dspayne1dspayne1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 ✭✭

Will this work with shared servers? It syncs my library, but I get "failed to authenticate. Did you login to plex tv?" error when I try to sync the server that I share with my brother.

• mini.PLEXmini.PLEX Members, Plex Pass Posts: 284 Plex Pass
    edited March 2016

@croneter 110% sure I have figured out the issue I experience with my colons when syncing... for many years, I have used an app called 'identify' to name my movies correctly etc b4 adding them into plex. it seems the app enters '**' (thats 2 stars) when a movie title should have a colon... 'file name' examples below.

The Hobbit** An Unexpected Journey [2012] [tt0903624]
    The Hobbit** The Battle of the Five Armies [2014] [tt2310332]
    The Hobbit** The Desolation of Smaug [2013] [tt1170358]

I have removed all the stars from my movie folders and movie titles, re-synced PMS and now PlexKodiConnect syncs all my movies 1st time.

 mac mini 2.6GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 (1TB fusion drive) 16GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    mac OSX sierra V10.12.4
    PlexMediaPlayer 1.3.0.642 - Plex Kodi 17.1 addon v0.0.100 - iOS iPhone 6s+, apple TV4
    Panasonic Viera TX-50DX700B (50" 4k ultraHD LED)
    Pioneer SX-SW55 Receiver
    4x WD 4TB USB 3.0 Hard Drives

Confimed that I can now connect without the need for Plex Home to be enabled. Initial scan actually crashed Kodi this time. got through all my movies but crashed about half way through the TV shows. Log attached.

kodi.txt 139.6K

hstamas

• SilvaireSilvaire Members, Plex Pass Posts: 125 Plex Pass

Very excited for this project, thanks for taking it on. Tried a fresh Windows install and authenticated with my pin and it gives me the option to choose between my 2 Plex Home users but when I click either one it just goes through a loop saying could not log in. Never get to syncing.

Also noticing very high CPU usage with PlexKodiConnect is enabled.
    Enabled = 50%-60% usage.
    Disabled = 2%-4% usage.

hstamas

• bigbadrabbitbigbadrabbit Members, Plex Pass Posts: 289 Plex Pass
    edited March 2016

I too can get it to sync without using Plex Home / additional user! :)>-

It syncs my movie library without problems but gets stuck on TV shows now:

At the moment i also cannot quit Kodi unless i force quit.

New log here.

EDIT:
    It seems season posters are also not synced. They don't show up here.