[UPDATED 28/07/17] Buglist - Plex for Android TV App on Nvidia SHIELD TV
Here is some useful information regarding the limitations / bugs of the current Plex for Android TV client.
Device - Nvidia SHIELD TV
AVR - Yamaha RX-V675 (5.1) via HDMI / CEC / ARC
Direct Play - Auto
Direct Stream - Auto
Passthrough - Auto
Burn Subtitles - Automatic
Refresh Rate Switching - ON
Local Quality - Original Quality
Remote Quality - Original Quality
Supported Formats inside the Plex client on Nvidia SHIELD TV (see spoiler):
Containers: MKV | MP4 | .TS (kind of, limitations present)
VIDEO: VC-1 | H.264 | HEVC | MPEG-2
AUDIO: AC3 | EAC3 | LPCM 8/16/24bit | DTS | DTS-HD MA | TrueHD | Atmos | DTS: X | MPEG-1 | MPEG-2 | FLAC | DTS-HD MA 6.1 | DTS-ES | AAC_LATM (via software decoding)
Currently Unsupported formats inside the Plex client on Nvidia SHIELD TV (see spoiler):
Containers: .AVI (forces video transcode, audio can direct play) .M2TS (won't be fixed.)
AUDIO: ANY 4.1
*Lack of VC-1 support. FIXED.
*Lack of TrueHD / Atmos / DTS: X. Now supported with the 3.3 update.
*Lack of LPCM support. 8 | 16 | 24bit now supported. FIXED.
*Some DTS-HD MA files playing back as DTS core. This appears to be fixed for me after reanalyzing. Noticed files were showing DTS for DCA-MA.
*Lack of FLAC 5.1 support. FIXED with 184.108.40.2064-beta.
*Stuttering / frame drops after fast forwarding. FIXED with ExoPlayer update.
*Stuttering on 24p playback. (pausing and resuming seems to fix TEMPORARILY) FIXED with ExoPlayer update.
*Headphones disconnected popup upon starting / stopping media. FIXED.
*Subtitles looping / out of sync. 99% sure this was fixed with client update.
*Lack of PGS subtitle support within MKV containers. FIXED.
*Lack of media info in preplay screen, i.e. audio codec, resolution. FIXED. Audio codec / resolution implemented in v220.127.116.113.
*Lack of audio / subtitle selection before playback. FIXED.
* Player jumping 24 hours in the future. More info here - https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/222120/nvidia-shield-tv-weird-issue-skipping-to-25-hours
*Lack of considered 'normal' FF / RW. FIXED with v18.104.22.1683-beta. 30s skip with single click, hold for seek.
* DTS-HD MA 6.1 tracks pass only core DTS (1500kbps) stream when they should pass full DTS-HD MA stream. Resolved with Nvidia SHIELD Experience 5.2 update preview. DTS-ES 6.1 is also passed through correctly.
*VC-1 transcoded when a supported audio codec is not found i.e. w/TrueHD. See spoiler for details.
Ian's Reply: 'ExoPlayer only natively supports VC1 when contained within MKV. This means that when we transcode, we can't handle >!remuxed VC1 in HLS. I looked at how much effort it would be to support this, but at the moment it's hard to justify due to the number >!of devices (and users) that actually support and use VC1. I've already made the recommendation to NVIDIA that they look to add >!support themselves, which we'd then pick up. **No longer an issue thanks to TrueHD now being supported! **'
- DTS-HD HRA 5.1 only passes core DTS (1500kbps). Sample file [here].(https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqkksSicFU34tmB_oVeo35f7t_jR "here") NEWLY DISCOVERED on 08/04/17 Log file | Sample File Resolved with 6.2.x.
- DTS-HD MA 4.1 tracks fail to play altogether.
Pausing an episode of a series during continuous episode playback doesn't display details of current episode after waking from sleep, the first episode played is detailed. Incorrect UI issue. See spoiler for details.
@Andrroid: "I just watched 3 episodes of a show. During the 4th episode, I paused it. I waited. Eventually, the Android TV screensaver >!appeared. I then pressed a button on my remote, which ended the screen saver and returned me to Plex. However, I was placed at the >!details screen for the first episode I watched, not the current, 4th episode, I was watching."
This does not appear to be the case and is not fixed according to beta tester @Andrroid.
UNAVOIDABLE (UNTIL NVIDIA / GOOGLE FIX EXOPLAYER) ISSUES:
- Lack of .AVI container support. (Video and audio is always transcoded, despite being MPEG4 / AC3 audio, something that should be able to be direct played or direct streamed at the very least. **Ian Reply: "I spoke to the server/transcoder team and they confirmed that they have had to blacklist mpeg4 video from AVI files to prevent them from ever being remuxed. Apparently they have had a lot of issues with this combination in the past and have found the only reliable way to stream the video is to perform a full remux. This means that unless Google, or someone else adds AVI support to ExoPlayer, MPEG4 will be transcoded when contained within an AVI on the Android client."
A ExoPlayer dev has stated that a AVI Extractor would need to be written but there is currently no demand for this.
Source - https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/issues/2092
DESIGN FEATURES YET TO BE IMPLEMENTED:
- Pressing the play key (HDMI-CEC, Harmony, Nexus Player remote) does nothing on posters of movies/episodes/tv shows/seasons. Ian's Reply: "Known feature that we haven't yet implemented. We should be allowing users to skip preplay pages, etc if they hit a "Play" button. The reason it hasn't been prioritized is that only a few Android TVs actually have a Play button on the remote."
- Lack of thorough USB amp support.
- Unable to decode all audio formats as LPCM when Audio Passthrough is disabled. Side note: A new Android TV beta has enabled software decoding for AAC_LATM as seen on DVR recording with more formats "to come in the future", paraphrasing @sixones comments.
- .m2ts container is unsupported. Unlikely to be fixed as disc based formats. Plex do not want to use disc-based formats.
- MPEG-TS containers are unsupported and provide unexpected results. DVR users will want to enable remux to MKV or use an appropriate post-processing conversion script. As of PMS 1.7.1, Plex now recorded to .MKV containers directly instead of .TS presumably for better compatibility. As of 1.7.5, the choice to switch to .MKV for DVR was reverted back to .TS (presumably for better compatability with USA subtitle ota formats).
Plex for Android 22.214.171.124-beta - Upgrade ExoPlayer to r1.5.16. (I believe we were at custom ExoPlayer r1.5.12 previously)