Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex with Samsung 4K UHD Blu-ray Player (UBD-K8500)

RcRogersRcRogers Members, Plex Pass Posts: 80 Plex Pass

This is my first attempt to use Plex with a blu-ray player, and thus far, Plex v2.003 works very well on the Samsung K8500. I'm using a wired connection and my untouched blu-ray rips (MKV) have never looked this good. I had a dedicated HTPC and Nvidia Shield, but the K8500 provides an even better picture! The only drawback is audio quality as it's transcoded from HD audio to lossy formats (Dolby/DTS). Is there any possibility of an audio passthrough option being added to the Samsung Plex app, specifically for setups like mine where the blu-ray player is connected directly to an A/V receiver via HDMI? I would pay/donate to have this feature! Also, I am stuck on v2.003 it seems. When I go to update the app, it shows v2.003 as the most current available. Will v2.005 be pushed to my K8500 at some point? Sorry for any dumb/annoying questions.

p.s. I am VERY grateful to the developer who made this app happen. Having an all-in-one device is critical to synergy in my media room. The K8500 provides all of the streaming apps (w/ 4K support) that I desire, along with gobs of optical disk format support (UHD blu-ray, 1080 blu-ray, 3D blu-ray, DVD, CD, and DVR+/-R). My wireless Logitech keyboard w/ trackpad works wonderfully on the K8500 as well.

Best Answer

Answers

• RcRogersRcRogers Members, Plex Pass Posts: 80 Plex Pass

@Orca said:
    HD audio pass-trough would have to come from Samsung, because it's a hardware restriction, not a software one. In short , we can feed it HD audio, but it will not send it through to the amplifier.
    That will only work when the source is an HDMI source. In this case the source is the streaming video, so it will not pass it.

The K models are the first 2016 models on the market. Officially there is no Plex app for those yet.
    I am quite surprised that the current app actually runs on those, because Samsung stated that they would be Tizen only..Anyway, the Plex team is working on an official app for 2016 models, but it's still being tested.

Thanks so much for the prompt and thorough reply, Orca!

Cool to hear an official app is under way for the 2016 Samsung models. Hope it's as good as yours ;). I have had great success so far and really only take issue with the audio downgrade (but that is out of your control). I wonder if Samsung will remove that restriction for the Plex devs? Would it be possible to have the Plex server convert the HD audio to lossless PCM with the same number of channels (up to 7.1) and package that with the original video stream? Then the audio quality should be the same as the original, along with untouched video :).

• richarddc79richarddc79 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 166 Plex Pass

@RcRogers said:
    This is my first attempt to use Plex with a blu-ray player, and thus far, Plex v2.003 works very well on the Samsung K8500. I'm using a wired connection and my untouched blu-ray rips (MKV) have never looked this good. I had a dedicated HTPC and Nvidia Shield, but the K8500 provides an even better picture! The only drawback is audio quality as it's transcoded from HD audio to lossy formats (Dolby/DTS). Is there any possibility of an audio passthrough option being added to the Samsung Plex app, specifically for setups like mine where the blu-ray player is connected directly to an A/V receiver via HDMI? I would pay/donate to have this feature! Also, I am stuck on v2.003 it seems. When I go to update the app, it shows v2.003 as the most current available. Will v2.005 be pushed to my K8500 at some point? Sorry for any dumb/annoying questions.

p.s. I am VERY grateful to the developer who made this app happen. Having an all-in-one device is critical to synergy in my media room. The K8500 provides all of the streaming apps (w/ 4K support) that I desire, along with gobs of optical disk format support (UHD blu-ray, 1080 blu-ray, 3D blu-ray, DVD, CD, and DVR+/-R). My wireless Logitech keyboard w/ trackpad works wonderfully on the K8500 as well.

Out of curiousity, how does cinavia affect your blu-ray rips?

Lenovo M58p Core 2 Duo Windows 10 (Plex Server + NAS - 4TB Movies + TV shows)
    HP Laptop core i5 (secondary Plex Server testing Hardware transcoding)
    Xbox One S
    Fire TV stick gen 1
    Chromecast gen 2 wired ethernet x 1
    Chromecast gen 1 x 2
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 7
    iPad Mini
    iPod touch
    Fire kids tablet

• RcRogersRcRogers Members, Plex Pass Posts: 80 Plex Pass

@richarddc79 said:

@RcRogers said:

Out of curiousity, how does cinavia affect your blu-ray rips?

I ran into this recently. It mutes the audio track. I've since moved to an Nvidia Shield with SPMC (fork of XBMC) and the PleXBMC plugin. Amazing! Fixed all my issues. $199. Refresh rate matching, HD audio support, all video codecs supported. Chapter support. Zero transcoding needed for my entire library. And the 4K support is a bonus. I have some 4K MKV that play great with no transcoding.

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 7,263 Plex Ninja
    edited May 2016

Just a small follow-up on the 2016 Bluray players.
    They seem to be having older internal hardware and are therefor marked as 2015 compatible models. I saw Samsung assigned them under the current app and used version 2.003 for their release. I'll add them when a new update will be released so they get the latest version too, but it looks like they are unable to run the upcoming (Tizen) official Plex app.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• WiidesireWiidesire Members, Plex Pass Posts: 519 Plex Pass

@Orca said:
    They seem to be having older internal hardware and are therefor marked as 2015 compatible models. [...] I'll add them when a new update will be released so they get the latest version too

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the newest version.

@Orca said:
    but it looks like they are unable to run the upcoming (Tizen) official Plex app.

Damn, that's sad. Paid 380€ for it, thought I could get the treat of the newest Plex Tizen App, considering it was released in March 2016 and April 2016 in Europe.

Btw:
    One issue I've run accross on 2.003 (but also on my 2014 Samsung Blu-ray Player) is that the left and right click isn't working to switch to the previous/next episode. It will work if I open a Season directly. But if I go to the currently active series directly from the home menu (let's say S01E05), I can't switch to S01E06 with left/right button without pressing back and then again go to active series (where it will show S01E06).

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 7,263 Plex Ninja

The option to go left or right depends on the current selection from which you enter the preplay screen.
    If you come in from a single episode, the app has no other data available in that context.
    When you create for instance a selection based on a filter, you will be able to roam through the results with left/right.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

@Orca said:
    If you come in from a single episode, the app has no other data available in that context.

Thanks for the fast answer.
    Is this fixable? Or do you only do bug fixes now? I heart something about you stopping development, not sure.

@Orca said:
    I'll add them when a new update will be released so they get the latest version too, but it looks like they are unable to run the upcoming (Tizen) official Plex app.

Might I ask when approximately you will push an update (2.006)? I know you can't say an exact date because you have no control over the certification process. Running 2.003 is a bit weird, because I can't change the language :/

If 2.006 takes many more months to release, will you push 2.005 to the UBD-K8500?

• shakuyishakuyi Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

Do we know if Samsung will enable HD audio pass through on this device? It seems a bit silly for it not to have it. I am also noticing that I cannot select the device to cast to it even though the app (2.006) has a cast icon. Anyone else notice this?

• smettsmett Members, Plex Pass Posts: 57 Plex Pass

Actually im thinking of buying a K8500. But to cast to the player is an important feature for me too. Im using it with my Samsung H6500 a lot.

• smettsmett Members, Plex Pass Posts: 57 Plex Pass

@shakuyi
    Just to let u know. I just bought the K8500 and i can cast to it without any problem.

• StickanLStickanL Members Posts: 3

Just bought the Samsung K 8500. After connecting to Plex via PC you are asked to sign in to your Plex account 4 figured code on the TV/projector screen, but the Samsung remote doesn´t show any virtual keyboard. How can I sign in?

• ced0072ced0072 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 48 Plex Pass
    edited November 2016

Hello,
    Is the K8500 player able to read mkv files (4K HDR) over the network (PC or NAS) and render them correctly with HDR handled?
    I'm interesting by this player and it's a feature that could be really interesting.
    Thanks.

Windows 7 64bits
    Core i7 4770K, 16G RAM, Asus GTX1060
    PMS and PMP
    LG OLED 65C6V
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Focal Dome Pack

• ФомаФома Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass
    edited January 6

I also have the Samsung UBD-K8500 (4k blu-ray player) and have run into the same problem logging in with the passcode. For a while I was able to use my old Samsung blu-ray player remote but then I gave that unit away. When I had the new player connected directly to my TV, the ARC capability allowed me to use the TV remote to do this but then I started running it through my amp first and now I can't use the TV remote in this way.

It would be helpful if there were a virtual number pad (like there is on the Roku version of the app) so that you could use the arrow keys to select your passcode. Or if the up/down arrows let you scroll through numerals within each of the four passcode entry fields.

@tpayne1011 said:
    It would be helpful if there were a virtual number pad (like there is on the Roku version of the app) so that you could use the arrow keys to select your passcode. Or if the up/down arrows let you scroll through numerals within each of the four passcode entry fields.

There is, Press and Hold the Info button.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• JusteasyJusteasy Members Posts: 1

I am having an issue trying to play content using the UBD-K8500. I have updated my plex server on my Windows 7 PC. When I login I can see all of my content just can't play any of the content and get a unable to connect to server error notice. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Have you tried these tips?

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• AtlantastevenAtlantasteven Members, Plex Pass Posts: 39 Plex Pass

How can access numbers 2-8 when trying to manually downscroll lyrics?

If your remote doesn't have those numbers, you should be able to use the common black remote on any model.
    Or (but it's not very handy) use the onscreen numpad. (Press and hold the info button)

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,