If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

"Your connection to the server is not fast enough to stream this video. Check your Network."

1131415161719»

Answers

• moviebrainmoviebrain Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Add another one, any apple device streaming through the plex client on either iOS11.3 or TVOS11.3 and the plex server crashes and requires the service to be restarted or to be fully rebooted. This has been happening for a long time and I chalked it up to random errors, but this is really disheartening to find out that it's been a known problem for more than 3 months and worthy of nearly 20 pages of forum posts.

• ladrosladros Posts: 39Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Recently I've been fiddling with reencoding some files with FFmpeg and have encountered several cases where a particular file would have constant fits and starts across various iOS devices, but then after reencoding the video (audio was copied as is) and removing troublesome, possibly corrupt eia_608 subtitle tracks, the new file plays flawlessly.

I've also had several of these tracks that had previously failed to sync with an iOS device sync just fine after the reencode.

The really annoying thing about this error message is it appears to be a catch all, blaming the network when the underlying problem could be a server issue running from improperly designed (slow storage or CPU) to bugs in the transcoder that stall out for too long.

I've pulled the crash log from my raspberry pi, something about connecting from an iOS or tvOS client causes the kernel on the server to taint the plex media server service. Streaming from the plex app or the web player causes this crash. Streaming from that same server to VLC on an iDevice does not crash. A/B tested by installing the release version of pms on a clean install of raspbian with a new copy of my library and the crash still happened. Trouble follows the plex client, clean install of either the plex client or the server does not fix it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/8bvvkx/plex_on_pi_3b_has_been_working_for_monthsyears/

• davisgtpdavisgtp Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

im glade im not alone here

• samkritzsamkritz Posts: 8Members ✭✭
    edited April 15

I am a relative newbie with a problem that sounds like the one that you are all discussing in this thread. I am running Plex on a Dell Laptop with Windows Ten. I have been using Plex to view Network TV Shows On Demand, and that has been successful for me for about the last 6 months. After the last Server Update, I have been getting that infamous warning message. I am using an Apple 4K device as the viewer. Is there a need for me to clear out something from the ATV or Plex to make this message go away? Thanks in advance for your help.

Samkritz

• FatalmuzzaFatalmuzza Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 16

I have been seeing this with more and more frequency as of late. For a long time have never had this problem till recently. ATV Plex client is by far my favourite. First path to a fix is acknowledging there is a problem. Have the Plex Devs recognised this issue?

Running ATV4 1080p wired. Have also tested via 5gz Wireless, same issue.

• T'hain Esh KelchT'hain Esh Kelch Posts: 425Members ✭✭✭

@Fatalmuzza said:
    I have been seeing this with more and more frequency as of late. For a long time have never had this problem till recently. ATV Plex client is by far my favourite. First path to a fix is acknowledging there is a problem. Have the Plex Devs recognised this issue?

Nope, they've been completely silent short of a few generic posts here and there. The last 10 pages with concrete proof of the ATV client acting up, has gone completely ignored.

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:

@Fatalmuzza said:

Nope, they've been completely silent short of a few generic posts here and there. The last 10 pages with concrete proof of the ATV client acting up, has gone completely ignored.

What’s the score then, clearly this is an issue. Are we reporting this right by posting here, or does it need to be formalised somehow? Is there a procedure?

@Fatalmuzza said:
    What’s the score then, clearly this is an issue. Are we reporting this right by posting here, or does it need to be formalised somehow? Is there a procedure?

This is the Apple TV subforum, so it is the correct place to report it. Several high ranking Plex people have been tagged in the thread, and they've ignored it, so there's not much else to do.

• mschlotzmschlotz Posts: 234Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 16

It appears the solution is the Infuse client currently in beta. So far it has been performing very well, I haven't experienced a single playback issue with it. Believe their GM is in review with Apple right now so it should be much longer before its available.

Full disclosure: I've fixed my issue by updating raspbian on my pi 3b using "apt-get dist-upgrade" to update Raspbian Stretch to the latest version and "rpi-update" to update the firmware. Doing both of them together as of Saturday April 14 and updating plex media server to the Plex Pass preview version and everything is rock solid.

I couldn't tell you why connecting from an Apple client caused kernel panics in the TCP stack, but all of my issues have been resolved by updating.

• Martin...Martin... Posts: 65Members ✭✭

Infuse works great with the Plex server. They need some adjustments to the GUI but it plays every file with Direct Play. Kind of the opposite of Plex priorities, looks great but doesn’t play so well.

• craignancraignan Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Everyday I regret buying a lifetime Plex Pass and so wish I could go back and get my money back. Plex doesn't care about us as customers or users. They only care about taking our money and adding crap that no one wants. Anybody here use VR? How many actually watch News? Now they're spending time on helping with Infuse???? Just goes to show you that they don't care about the Apple TV app, nor do they ever plan on fixing it. I guess my rant is because I got the same error message that everyone is complaining about here with playing back a movie with Plex on an Apple TV. I have a stand alone server running JUST plex, cat6 wired connection, movie re-encoded to m4v with AC-3 audio and that crappy ass message appeared. To anyone thinking of getting the Shield TV, just be prepared when using Plex. The app is old and appears to have not been updated in a while and the app on FireTV just sucks because the movies are laid out in two rows. Who in the hell thought that looks and functions correctly. OK, I'm done now.

• Martin...Martin... Posts: 65Members ✭✭

It’s so quiet here because we all moved on to infuse. Sad but true.

@Martin... said:
    It’s so quiet here because we all moved on to infuse. Sad but true.

Hah, you are likely absolutely correct! Sooo sad, really. I really wonder why the Plex team decided to so blatantly ignore their userbase like this - It can't be useful in the long run.

• Nik3shNik3sh Posts: 123Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I’ve also noticed it’s gone quieter in the Plex Apple TV forums ever since infuse brought out Plex integration, I don’t think that’s a coincidence

• alefkaalefka Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It absolutely isn't a coincidence! Been using Infuse as well, no issues. Plays anything I throw at it and I love the option to download subs on the fly if I don't have them. The interface kinda sucks, but it makes up for it in playback.

Hi plex,

Can you please open up the ATV client source code to the community. It will take no time for us to diagnose and fix it ourselves if you can’t or are unwilling. It is so frustrating getting family and friends together, watching a film and this **** happens over an over for no reason