Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

"Your connection to the server is not fast enough to stream this video. Check your Network."

Answers

• arobe79arobe79 Posts: 220Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Had some errors yesterday with direct play off and direct stream on m stating that my server was not powerful enough to transcode a home video that I took with my iPhone and converted to m4v with handbrake. Direct play works fine for that file so I don't know why I got the error as it should not have done anything with the server.

• Wildcat_1Wildcat_1 Posts: 154Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Agree with this, have similar files that all are Apple TV compatible and should play with Direct Play (in fact show they are trying to on the server but continue to buffer). Really hope the phenomenal team here behind Plex can work out this issue with Direct Play as it really is incredibly frustrating.

@arobe79 said:

@mrCrumbSnatcher said:

@arobe79 Thank you. This worked for me. Been streaming flawlessly since making the change. FYI for people who may be interested:

-all of my files are iTunes compatible
    -my setting is not to transcode (original quality).
    -my Mac mini server, with synology NAS, is wireless 'N'. (The NAS is connected to router via Ethernet though).
    -direct play is off
    -direct stream is on
    -All my other devices do not need this change. Just the Apple TV 4. My other devices work as expected

@arobe79 said:
    Brittas11 If all of your files are in an Apple TV format h254, m4v AAC and or AC3 audio and the correct max bit rate and profile both of which I cannot remember right now, then I believe it is an issue with the Plex app since many of us are getting this. Try going into settings on the Apple TV app and turn of direct play, leave direct stream on and test. That fixes it for me.

Glad it worked. I just want to say It's to bad that we have to do this as we lose out on features such as chapter thumbnails with direct stream. If all are videos are Apple TV ready I don't understand why we have to make the concessions. Our content should direct play. Something is broken.

After playing with the direct stream only option I have notice that some of my movies lose chapters all together. I wonder why some have them while others don't.

• markie_gmarkie_g Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Tried the temporary fixes stated here but they don't work. On latest AppleTV version and Plex Pass media server. Unfortunately I get buffering problems during films. My NAS technically can't transcode yet it was working perfectly until last week. Any advise or fixed versions would be very welcome

@markie_g said:
    Tried the temporary fixes stated here but they don't work. On latest AppleTV version and Plex Pass media server. Unfortunately I get buffering problems during films. My NAS technically can't transcode yet it was working perfectly until last week. Any advise or fixed versions would be very welcome

Did you make any changes last week that you remember? Just thinking that we could narrow something down if we can figure out what change was made just prior to your issues. Your onset of issues is the most recent I have heard of in awhile.

• jerikschaeffer@gmail.comjerikschaeffer@gmail.com Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I see this same message on 1.0.5 and 1.0.6 as well. Not seeing it on SimpleX. Have tried both wired and wireless with the same results. This combined with the fast forward/rewind issues with IR remotes have made me use mostly SimpleX at this point.

• mrCrumbSnatchermrCrumbSnatcher Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have this issue as well, but can't test out my theory since I'm not home. Just a really wild guess... maybe the movies with chapters have them embedded within the file? The movies without chapters maybe are grabbed when a movie is matched with the proper meta data (when Plex is working properly). With having direct stream only on, maybe if can't fetch meta data chapters and can only rely on chapter markers if embedded in the file????

@arobe79 said:
    After playing with the direct stream only option I have notice that some of my movies lose chapters all together. I wonder why some have them while others don't.

@mrCrumbSnatcher said:
    I have this issue as well, but can't test out my theory since I'm not home. Just a really wild guess... maybe the movies with chapters have them embedded within the file? The movies without chapters maybe are grabbed when a movie is matched with the proper meta data (when Plex is working properly). With having direct stream only on, maybe if can't fetch meta data chapters and can only rely on chapter markers if embedded in the file????

@arobe79 said:

Good thought but I have all the chapters embedded using metaX.

• markie_gmarkie_g Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 2016

@arobe79 said:

@markie_g said:

Did you make any changes last week that you remember? Just thinking that we could narrow something down if we can figure out what change was made just prior to your issues. Your onset of issues is the most recent I have heard of in awhile.

It was the new version of Plex media server that came out a week or so ago. Since I was having issues I then tried the Plex Pass media server and same problem. *EDIT. actually trying the DNS 8.8.8.8 seems to have fixed it, I will message back if the issues comes back. thanks!

• Jammy BJammy B Jammy by name.... Posts: 1,211Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This issue is tiresome on a fully wired setup.

Sort it out or I'm going back to NUC PMP.

• BastardSheepBastardSheep Posts: 234Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 2016

Changing it to Direct Streaming has made things good for me. I don't ever use chapter markers so don't miss them. I was getting the issue every 3-5 days requiring a reboot of the server, client, network, or all three. But I would like to use DirectPlay as it's theoretically the better way to play files.

• phunkysaiphunkysai Posts: 1,152Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My old Mac Mini died so I got an Apple TV 4 and I'm experiencing this same issue. I never encountered this on the old Mini, but it's pretty frustrating on the AppleTV. I have to stop whatever I'm watching (movie or TV show), and then restart roughly 2 or 3 times during the video in order to watch the whole thing. It doesn't happen with every single file, but when it does it's annoying.

If there's any other info I can provide that would help let me know, but it doesn't appear that the devs have responded on this thread?

• ValdhorValdhor Posts: 471Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Possible DNS Rebind issue?

What is that?

I think it first came up in this thread.

That was reported as fixed

@arobe79 said:
    That was reported as fixed

Which is why I said "Possible" :((

• CwlcymroCwlcymro Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

@phunkysai said:
    My old Mac Mini died so I got an Apple TV 4 and I'm experiencing this same issue. I never encountered this on the old Mini, but it's pretty frustrating on the AppleTV. I have to stop whatever I'm watching (movie or TV show), and then restart roughly 2 or 3 times during the video in order to watch the whole thing. It doesn't happen with every single file, but when it does it's annoying.

If there's any other info I can provide that would help let me know, but it doesn't appear that the devs have responded on this thread?

Yep, this has been the exact issue for me since I bought the Apple TV 4 and found Plex for the first time. It's the one issue that seriously annoys me with Plex for Apple TV, it causes complaints in our house on a daily basis.

• BastardSheepBastardSheep Posts: 234Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BastardSheep said:
    I had been ignoring this thread because I assumed it was just my wifi network (AC1900 WIFI but a fair distance through numerous double-brick walls). I'm starting to wonder otherwise now, after reading this thread more thoroughly.

Right now I can't go more than 3 days without getting that message. If SD content I can usually (but not always) just pause for a few seconds, then play again and all good. If HD content though I usually need to reboot either the router or ATV4.

I'll try changing the setting to direct streaming and see how I go. I don't use chapter markers so I won't miss them. See if I can go a week without this message.

It has been over a month since turning off Direct Play and only using Direct Streaming, and I haven't seen that error once since the change was made.

I tried changing the settings like you said, but this weekend I got the dreaded message still. However, I downloaded Simple X just to see if it happened there, and I got the buffering issue there as well (movie would pause, little buffer sign starts rotating on the screen like it does in the plex app - although it doesn't give any feedback message like plex does).

So now it appears to be an AppleTV issue, not a plex issue, which is going to be a nightmare to troubleshoot. Oddly, I've never had this issue on my iphone, ipad, nor the wireless Roku boxes I have streaming Plex in various rooms...