If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex "box" with 4k, h265/avc (+10bit to avoid any issues) and CEC?

evloevlo Posts: 61Members ✭✭

Is there any "box" plex client that can do CEC and for playback h265/AVC (preferable with 10bit depth support to be safe) and 4k? I used rPi rasPlex until now. It would be nice if it also supported netflix, but UI would need to be really simple - plex, or netflix and nothing else to bother me.
I would like to stop using powerfull pc to transcode h265 and just buy some simple nas box as plex, where i also ALMOST don't need to care about stuff like with dedicated server pc. So this is why i'm looking for new client.

I would consider buying android(?) TV, but what i have seen in the shop, it is just tragic and i could not see actual image trough all the reflections. So i bought cheapest TV they had, because picture is same terrible reflection hell. So i guess it is still dedicated boxes for me for at least few years :(

Tagged:

Answers

• bshurillabshurilla Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 on this, I have been using a rPi 2 with Plex Media Player, and it works ok for most things, but like last night tried to watch a 32gb mkv with 5.1 DTS HD-MA but the pi just couldn't do it, had to hook up the alienware to the TV and go from there. I was hoping the new Pi3 would be better but from what I am seeing it is not that big of a performance boost.. I would use my Xbox One but it can't pass the direct stream.. well, I know it can do PCM but I like it when the Blue DTS or Dolby light comes on..

• evloevlo Posts: 61Members ✭✭
    edited April 2016

What about the latest rokku? Does it work great with plex, and does it support 4k netflix?

Ale maybe the "all new" fire TV? (But I guess it is just android OS fork)

I researched Android TV boxes like beebox or minix, etc. and i found out, that they are not really android TV os, but plain android 5.1 . Android TV OS is on nvidia shield, but i could not find if it really works well with plex, even on these forums :/

• bshurillabshurilla Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

not sure, I used a Roku 2, and it worked, but I did not try to use any surround or decent quality..

I'm still little bit confused why i can't find answer to this, if it is so cutting edge so it is not easy to get or if i just can't search.

• abdulsamadfabdulsamadf Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@evlo said:
    I'm still little bit confused why i can't find answer to this, if it is so cutting edge so it is not easy to get or if i just can't search.

I use PleXBMC on Kodi on My FireTV2. It plays 4k H265 directly from my PMS's.

I watch this on my LG UF850 based TV, which supports CEC (Simplink) with my FireTV2.

Hopefully, at some point, maybe the Plex app for FireTV2 will allow 4k without transcoding.

• Allan68Allan68 Posts: 497Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@evlo said:
    What about the latest rokku? Does it work great with plex, and does it support 4k netflix?

I researched Android TV boxes like beebox or minix, etc. and i found out, that they are not really android TV os, but plain android 5.1 . Android TV OS is on nvidia shield, but i could not find if it really works well with plex, even on these forums :/

The Roku 4 works awesome with plex and will do everything you asked about. I love mine, Plays it all never needs to transcoad anything. Even high bitrate x264 and x265 and 60fps as well as 4k. Also does youtube and Netflix in 4k.

It's the perfect all-round media box.
    I have had zero issues.

• Iczer85Iczer85 Posts: 11Members ✭✭

@Allan68 said:

@evlo said:

The Roku 4 works awesome with plex and will do everything you asked about. I love mine, Plays it all never needs to transcoad anything. Even high bitrate x264 and x265 and 60fps as well as 4k. Also does youtube and Netflix in 4k.

It's the perfect all-round media box.
    I have had zero issues.

So I picked up a roku 4, since I just got my 4k TV. Like you said, it seems to handle my 4k content much better than my old WD TV Live player. Video plays without transcoding, however I think it still tries to transcode(remux?) audio. Any tips to help with this? I think I set my audio up in my Roku 4 as DTS+ and not automatic anymore.

• camncharcamnchar Posts: 199Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 2016

There's this little guy, that covers h.265 and 4k: http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php

Support has now been added to the latest build of OpenPHT: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/222972/release-openpht-1-6-2

The nvidia shield might also work for you.

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 1,714Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi
    To direct stream content on a Roku 4 your media files must be
    h.264/h.265 video AC3 2.0 / AC3 5.1 Audio stream

Any other format will cause PMS to Transcode or re-mux to one degree or another.

Hope that helps.
    John

• statedstated Posts: 1Members

Really disappointed in the fact that Plex still struggles to Stream 4K x265 10bit video files.... I was just browsing looking to consolidate my Media Server off my Desktop PC to a standalone unit that does 4K streaming to two devices in the house but still nothing can handle streaming 4k better than the standard desktop.....

I've been using** Emby Server / Client **setup on my FireTV 2 which direct plays my 4k x265 10bit video files flawlessly but my desktop PC / Server needs to be always on. Plex on the same hardware transcodes absolutely everything above 1080p almost like Plex can't handle 4k yet....

Kind of mythed at why there isn't 4k Storage / Streaming boxes available in the market yet. Yes NAS can interface but just about handle 1080p i mean come on....

• hackztor@gmail.comhackztor@gmail.com Posts: 484Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Nvidia shield does much better job than roku. Shield supports more audio formats like dts-hd as well.

edited June 2016

@stated said:
    Really disappointed in the fact that Plex still struggles to Stream 4K x265 10bit video files.... I was just browsing looking to consolidate my Media Server off my Desktop PC to a standalone unit that does 4K streaming to two devices in the house but still nothing can handle streaming 4k better than the standard desktop.....

I've been using** Emby Server / Client **setup on my FireTV 2 which direct plays my 4k x265 10bit video files flawlessly but my desktop PC / Server needs to be always on. Plex on the same hardware transcodes absolutely everything above 1080p almost like Plex can't handle 4k yet....

Kind of mythed at why there isn't 4k Storage / Streaming boxes available in the market yet. Yes NAS can interface but just about handle 1080p i mean come on....

Hmmm, i don't really have any easy way to try that, but i tought it would not have any rpbolem with direct stream x265 hi10p 4k content to capable player as i was just going to order shield or odroid, now i'm confused again.

Last time i tried Emby it really was not mature and i kind of really prefere plex anyway :) - i'm used to it. UI is really simple with recently added and on deck. And does match my movies that i named with ", the" on the end as i like it better.

Anyway - does shield UI run in 4k or does it run in 1080 and only video is in 4k?

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 1,714Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex does support 4K just fine.

The transcoding problem is related to the capability of you streaming media device. As a device goes to PMS it notifies the server of it's capabilities. If the media format is not supported, plex transcodes.

On a Roku 4, 4k (And for that matter all formats) Plex will direct play the media if it is encoded H.265 . AC3 (Either 2 or 5.1channel audio)

That will direct play on a Roku 4 (As well as h264 with same audio)

For other platforms you will need to determine what formats are natively supported by the device.... They are not all the same.

Hope that helps..

John

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,835Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

On a Roku 4, 4k (And for that matter all formats) Plex will direct play the media if it is encoded H.265 . AC3 (Either 2 or 5.1channel audio)

Also note, that we (Roku) have better 4k and H265 support with our new video player. Previously the audio had to be compatible (direct playable) for H265 to Direct Play. If the audio had to be converted, then we'd have to convert the video to H264 too. That isn't the case anymore. Now, If the audio needs to be converted, we can copy the H265/4k stream.

• GrammatonKlerikGrammatonKlerik Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2016

So months later is there now a box that can direct stream 4K content that contains DTS-MA/True-HD/Atmos/DTSX audio?

I was planning on picking up a ReadyNAS 526x as my PMS

• bjoroybjoroy Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Did anyone try out the ODROID C2 http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php with RaxPlex or OpenPHT? On paper it looks fantastic.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,124Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • archer75archer75 Posts: 169Members ✭✭
    edited October 2016

@GrammatonKlerik said:
    So months later is there now a box that can direct stream 4K content that contains DTS-MA/True-HD/Atmos/DTSX audio?

I was planning on picking up a ReadyNAS 526x as my PMS

Nvidia Shield Android TV can play just about anything. And it can also function as a PMS. 4k movies played through plex must meet plex's requirement. Or just use a different player on the shield if they do not.

• archer75archer75 Posts: 169Members ✭✭
    edited October 2016

@jjrjr1 said:

The transcoding problem is related to the capability of you streaming media device. As a device goes to PMS it notifies the server of it's capabilities. If the media format is not supported, plex transcodes.

That's not entirely true. There has been cases where a media device has supported formats but plex has transcoded anyways. For example, the shield tv had DTS-HD/TrueHD passthrough for a long time but plex would transcode. And only todays release of 3.3 on the shield has allowed plex to passthrough TrueHD. There are other examples.
    While the shield does support 60fps 4k, plex on the shield only supports 30fps 4k. The shield supports MKV but plex on the shield only supports 4k in an MP4 container. I tested this myself. It's also listed on the plex support page.
    You can bypass plex and use SPMC or the native player to play these if they don't meet the plex requirements.

• GrammatonKlerikGrammatonKlerik Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 12

While the shield does support 60fps 4k, plex on the shield only supports 30fps 4k. The shield supports MKV but plex on the shield only supports 4k in an MP4 container. I tested this myself. It's also listed on the plex support page.

So now that we are nearly a year later, does Plex client in the shield still have these same limitations? If so does the plex team @vlang have a roadmap for 4K in an mkv container, 60fps and 10bit for devices that support this like the shield?

You can bypass plex and use SPMC or the native player to play these if they don't meet the plex requirements.

So I have a ReadyNAS running PMS with a directory on my NAS containing my mkv's, if I wanted to bypass Plex client on a shield to use SPMC, how would I direct it to the NAS where the files are stored? Do I use the NAS's DNLA, NFS or CIFS to share or is there a PMS equivalent for the SPMC player?