If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Vizio 2016 P Series always transcoding to AAC/H.264

reallynotnickreallynotnick Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

First off hopefully this is the right forum for "Google Cast" devices like the Vizio P series.

What my issue is it seems like Plex Media Server is treating my Vizio like a regular Google Chromecast so it isn't supporting Dolby Digital, DD+, DTS or H.265 direct play like it should be.

Is there a way I can setup a custom profile to support these and not mess up existing Chromecast support, or should I just wait for an update?

Best Answer

Answers

• AsphyxNYCAsphyxNYC Posts: 1,347Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As long as you don't have any other Google Cast devices you can edit the profile to support those codecs.

It could be you are facing some limitation of the transcoder with DTS.
    Do you have some way of playing these files direct to the TV outside of Plex?
    DLNA or perhaps some other Mobile App that doesn't have any transcoding capability?

If the TV says it supports DTS it probably does....
    It may require a specific speaker setup or it may just support it via passthrough but I would think it would say that if only Passthru was supported.

• reallynotnickreallynotnick Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well this TV is kind of a unique beast being there really isn't any interface to it outside of Google Cast. The only other thing you can do is put a USB stick in the TV, but it doesn't support mkv files, it does support mp4 however. So I did go as far as making an mp4 with DTS audio (yeah not an officially supported combination, but didn't really have any other options). It plays the video, but again without audio.

I did some more research into DTS Studio Sound and it really doesn't sound like it's something that would require a device to be able to decode DTS audio, it's more just for "enhancing" audio and such. Still kind of confusing branding if it truly doesn't. I do know this TV however supports passthrough of DTS, so if you are using an external receiver with optical or ARC it might be worth trying it out, but I don't so I can't test it.

The key to testing here is to send the content to the TV outside of the Plex system to see if it is the TV or Plex that is limiting you.
    Plex is going to think that your TV is just a chromecast.

As for what your TV supports I checked the Vizio site and it says it supports DTS Studio but not DTS Tru...

• reallynotnickreallynotnick Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@AsphyxNYC said:
    The key to testing here is to send the content to the TV outside of the Plex system to see if it is the TV or Plex that is limiting you.
    Plex is going to think that your TV is just a chromecast.

As for what your TV supports I checked the Vizio site and it says it supports DTS Studio but not DTS Tru...

Yes but DTS StudioSound =/ DTS decoding, they are very different things just by the same company. DTS StudioSound is just a way to make audio sound "better". As you can see it falls under "audio processing" and not "codecs": http://www.dts.com/professionals/sound-technologies/audio-formats.aspx

@reallynotnick said:

Yes but DTS StudioSound =/ DTS decoding, they are very different things just by the same company. DTS StudioSound is just a way to make audio sound "better". As you can see it falls under "audio processing" and not "codecs": http://www.dts.com/professionals/sound-technologies/audio-formats.aspx

Kind of what I was getting at....It seems your TV doesn't support DTS codec or it would support Tru.
    But to test/confirm that you have to find a way to send the content to the TV outside of Plex to bypass the Profiles Plex uses.

• jflogerzijflogerzi Posts: 12Members ✭✭

I am looking at the new 2016 M line. I want to know if using a Soundbar via a toslink that supports DTS and DD 5.1 decoding will it support this via the new screencast aka chromecast and allow direct play. Currently Chromecast or the new one transcodes almost anything cast from Plex with DTS.

If you go CCast > TV > Soundbar you might have some issues with DTS depending on how the sound bar connects to the TV. The Optical Audio connections are somewhat bandwidth restricted when it comes to the higher Dolby's.

Better is if the CCast plugs into the DTS compatible device directly (soundbar or AV Receiver) and then that Audio device connects to the TV via HDMI. The better Soundbar options all act the same as an AV receiver with Multiple HDMI Inputs that can be switched to output on the TV.

In both cases you may need to edit the CCast profile to directplay DTS content to keep the Plex Transcoder from kicking in and flipping the codec on you.

But I'm not all that sure CCast is even capable of passing through DTS audio.
    Which is why my main Home Theater setup uses an HTPC and the CCasts are only used for older TVs where Audio is not so important. I make sure to create an AC3 track and an AAC Surround to all my library files to ensure I can get full surround on those locations that support it.

This is good stuff. I have a current 3.1 setup with an A/V receiver. But I am moving away from using a HTPC as I have cut the cord cable wise and just using Plex(Movies and TV Shows via sickbeard, AFTV for prime content and to watch live OTA TV with HDHomerun prime app side loaded. But I really want a new TV. Current Vizio is 6-7 years now. 42inch 1080p. The new M line looks great and the integrated cast option is good. Less remotes and devices but I really want to use DTS. Movies with the higher quailty HD-DTS still has the core DTS track and it should work. I am looking at the Yamaha YAS-203 which has DTS and DD decoding.

• rchapoteaurchapoteau Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm very interested to see what happens with this. I've been debating on going with a new 2016 Vizio or the 2016 Samsungs.

So right now if you take the content that you are having a problem with and you put it on a USB stick do you have the same issues? I'm curious as to how the P series 2016 handles 10 bit x264 content. It sounds like it has issues via Plex, but what about USB?

IMO... going with something (a TV) that has AndroidTV is better than anything that uses GoogleCast It opens up more player options that support better codecs.in the future.
    Also, if Plex is your main media server looking for a smart TV that has a targeted Plex App available will make for a much better experience.

But if a true movie experience is what you are looking for then nothing beats a dedicated HTPC plugged into an AV Receiver for full Dolby/THX surround into any HDTV you can afford.

• JaiKnightJaiKnight Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@reallynotnick said:
    Well I had a hell of a time making this (LOTS of guessing and checking). Here's what I found out, even though the TV says it has DTS Studio Sound it doesn't seem to decode DTS. I think it should bitstream it out the ARC or optical jacks, just add "dca" to the audio codecs if you have a receiver that can do DTS and let me know if it works (I am just using the RCA stereo out jacks).

So here is what it will do beyond the standard Chromecast profile:
    •HEVC will direct play
    •Dolby Digital and DD+ will direct play
    •DTS will be transcoded to DD+ instead of AAC stereo

Things I am still struggling on:
    •I'm not 100% sure if AAC 5.1 is working, it says Direct Play but the TV says stereo
    •It still says transcoding on most mkv files even though it is Direct Play for both audio and video, I'm guessing that means it is just changing the container?
    •TV doesn't seem to do 10bit H264, screen is just black on direct play
    •Still not convinced the TV shouldn't be able to decode DTS audio, could be an issue with the TV firmware, or maybe it's really just not supported.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <Client name="Chromecast"> <!-- Author: Plex Inc. --> <TranscodeTargets> <VideoProfile protocol="http" container="matroska" codec="h264,HEVC" audioCodec="eac3,ac3,aac" context="streaming"> </VideoProfile> <MusicProfile container="matroska" codec="mp3" /> <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" /> </TranscodeTargets> <DirectPlayProfiles> <VideoProfile container="mp4,mkv" codec="h264,HEVC" audioCodec="ac3,eac3,aac" /> <MusicProfile container="mp4" codec="aac" /> <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" /> <PhotoProfile container="jpeg,gif,bmp,png" /> </DirectPlayProfiles> </Client>

Does this stick for you? It seemed to work once for me, where the "Now Playing" page for Plex showed that both Video/Audio were direct play, but after restarting the test videos, it's now always going back to transcoding video.

• JonnyVJonnyV Posts: 45Members ✭✭

Anyone have an update on Plex with the new P-series? I'm looking at purchasing the new P or M series (whenever they get released in Canada) and would like to know if Plex via this route is a viable option.

• shivmevawalashivmevawala Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@JonnyV Plex works great with the new P-series. The only issue so far is the Vizio supports dolby digital but plex thinks it cant, so the server will transcode the audio down to stereo. Hopefully this is an easy issue that can be fixed soon by plex. There is a fix as mentioned above to change the entire Chromecast profile, but then that would be the incorrect profile for any other chromecasts you and your users have.

@ericmatthys Is there any way to sideload dolby digital support without effecting other chromecasts?

• nitinnitin Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 2016

The TV is great and there will be more and more Google Cast enabled devices with different capabilities. I hope Plex adds support for different Cast profiles soon!

edited July 2016

After reading this I am going with Samsung's new KS8000. Just need to decide if a 55 inch from a 42 is enough of a jump or should I just spring for the 65 inch. DTS is to important for me and I would not rather transcode the audio tracks. Plus a work around editing the google cast profile will not work for me. I share my plex server with a relative who uses a chromecast.

• josephasmith1josephasmith1 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Latest update broke this. Nothing will direct play.

• NorthvaleNorthvale Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm new to plex and casting but wanted to contribute something here. I have a Denon 2015 AVR-X2200W, QNAP NAS running Plex, 2016 Vizio P65, and the Android Plex App on my phone. Casting from the Netflix app on my phone in HD and DD+ sound to the P65 (with ARC to the AVR) with 4k up scaling has been a really great experience, so I wondered if I could do the same with Plex and my own movie collection, but this is what I found:

First I created some mkv files using MAKEMKV from Bluray source with DTS HD MA, Dolbty True HD, and DVD source with Dolby Digital and got them into the plex server.

1) As noted above, when casing the bluray source MKVs, I don't get lossless audio, they get converted to Dolby Digital. Not the end of the world as I only have a 5.1 set up, but I would love to see this improved to get the native lossless sound or DD+. Note: I can get the DTS HD MA native audio to play from the same MKV file using a simple DNLA stream via my Sony Bluray Player as a workaround.

On the Plex android app, in video settings I have all the boxes checked that player is AC3, EAC3 and DTS capable. I have played with advanced player settings of stream or direct play to no effect.

As a newby I'm not sure what I can do with the script above and if anything can be modified on my QNAP NAS version of plex anyway.

2) I wonder if I found a AC3 DD casting bug when there are multiple 'Plex optimized' file versions:

I was having a strange problem where the DVD source MKV file would not play DD via casting from plex. The file info on plex server confirms DD AC3 5.1 but the sound when cast was only stereo. However, from another plex client on my Tivo Roamio connected to the AVR it was able to play the file with Dolby Digital 5.1 fine... wierd.

I had been using Plex to create an optimized version for mobile use (which would downgrade to smaller file size, lower bit rate and AAC stereo audio). No matter which 'play version' I selected in the app, the audio would only be stereo when cast.
    In the end I realzied if deleted the optimized versions off the plex server, leaving only original MKV file, the audio was cast correctly as DD AC3 5.1.

Bug or am I doing something wrong?

Anyway hope this is helpful.

• PlexHS1PlexHS1 Posts: 39Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any other insight into this? I'm trying to get either DD or DTS files to show on the TV either through the Plex app on the included tablet or through XB1.
    I'm always getting transcoded using PMS.
    On the latest update and using Vizio's 2016 Smartcast SB4551-D5 that supports DD, DTS Surround, DTS Studio Sound, DTS TruVolume and DTS TruSurround