If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Latest plex web 2.6.1 dashboard issues

m1e1w1m1e1w1 Posts: 363Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited April 2016 in Plex Web App

Hello community,
Just want to confirm that an issue with the dashboard failing to load when any tv series library is enabled to display on the dashboard; is getting some development attention.
I read that disabling tv series from displaying on the dashboard fixes the dashboard from getting load errors, which I have done for now.
Related: fresh install - PMS 0.9.16.4 on windows 10.
Fresh library as well. Not doing so well getting meta data but not a big deal for me, things still play fine.

Synology DS1511+ 5x4TB + DX513 5x4TB + DX513 5x4TB (For content) + 4TB External (For PMS Library)

Dedicated Win 10 64bit PMS - 16GB RAM - intel i7 3770K @ 4.2Ghz (PMS App)
2 Roku 2 XS, 3 Roku 2 XD, 2 Roku 3, 4 Chromecast
11 Android Devices, 5 IDevices
Using browsers - Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer

130mb Down / 4mb Up

Comments

• thedreampromoterthedreampromoter Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Why won't my dashboard load? It recently stopped loading. I don't believe that I have any tv series enabled.

• m1e1w1m1e1w1 Posts: 363Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Some updates with Plex Media Server 0.9.16.5, with web 2.6.1 now allows proper handle of dashboard content as shown in the changelog.

For me, i still have issues. I can get 1 library of TV Shows to work on the dashboard. When i enable 2 TV Shows Librarys to show newly added items in the dashboard, only the last library i checked enable will show up. same with movies. only 1 movies library shows up. 2, 3 or more movie librarys do not show up with new content. only the last library i enabled to show on the dashboard.

Synology DS1511+ 5x4TB + DX513 5x4TB + DX513 5x4TB (For content) + 4TB External (For PMS Library)

130mb Down / 4mb Up

• michaelthomsonmichaelthomson Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The 2.6.1 update is a horror, the server/web interface won't stop scanning content, mostly in premium music library which is annoying because there are about 800000 songs in it... clicking cancel works for all of 2 seconds and then it resumes. The notifications thingy on the top right, WTF, go away - which it won't do no matter how many times I click it and view the stupid notifications page. Metadata loading is now painfully slow, matching data is likewise. What the hell Plex people??? Have you been bought by Apple now, so prices go up but quality slowly goes down. How much longer will I pay for Plex Pass when I spend far too much time stopping, investigating, searching and being stumped by the faults as I spend stopping and restarting the server and ultimate the mac itself. Plex fix this constant scanning issue because that really is the biggest pain in the proverbial.

I don't think that issue is with plex/web.
    The rant aside; the scanning issue with Premium Music library; is always, always scanning. yes, other libraries are scanned periodically alongside the music library. But it slows everything else in plex like @michaelthomson is saying. meta downloads and updating images / covers ether slow or no covers show up. when the music library is stopped, such as to shut down plex media server, restart it and then manually scan say, Series then everything gets images, posters metadata without issue.
    what is still working while music is scanning, is at least analyzing the content for playback. and i believe @michaelthomson uses mac, and i see it on both windows and Linux as well as synology.

130mb Down / 4mb Up

• michaelthomsonmichaelthomson Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@m1e1w1 yep, i'm on Mac. Interestigly this problem appears to have now gone away, well the continual scanning of the music library. The annoying 'announcements' thing is still there, showing (1) but when it click it it is the same as it was yesterday, last week blah blah.... a small glitch but an annoying one. On the plus side, the latest update on my evil LG TV is awesome, though its odd that it has got better and better since it was free? Anyways, onwards and upwards right.

I still have this problem with 2.6.1 and using windows and linux PMS. still only get 1 library to show recently added on the dashboard from 1 library out of 3 that serve the same type of content.

130mb Down / 4mb Up

• PhatlandPhatland Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 2016

This is a problem for me to. Dashboard crashes when it is enable on more then one or tv-shows in general. Please look into it.
    Thanks
    (PMS Mac 9.16.6 and plex web newest.)

• carpenter2003carpenter2003 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My biggest issue lately is the Dashboard failing to load and/or connect to the server quite often. Usually this seems to be when a Library is updating even for the briefest moment. Usually have to back out to Home screen and attempt to access the Library again in a few seconds. It happens often enough to be rather annoying.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,439Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@carpenter2003 said:
    My biggest issue lately is the Dashboard failing to load and/or connect to the server quite often. Usually this seems to be when a Library is updating even for the briefest moment. Usually have to back out to Home screen and attempt to access the Library again in a few seconds. It happens often enough to be rather annoying.

Most of the dashboard loading errors are to do with slow database requests. The dashboard is based on information pulled from a number of tables. Optimizing the library has been seen to resolve the issue in many examples. Library Actions : Optimize

Plex Web App timeout is 15 seconds and any requests taking more than 15 seconds to complete would give rise to the error

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

I will run optimize; but would that fix no loading anything from recently added content of more then 1 type of library? example: currently plex loads recently added items from TV Shows (series category) but not Off Air TV Shows (series category) or Anime TV Shows (series category).
    all libraries are set to display there content on the dashboard; enabled. but they don't. just 1 at a time. whichever was last toggled to enabled setting. still using web 2.6.1

130mb Down / 4mb Up

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,439Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@m1e1w1 said:
    I will run optimize; but would that fix no loading anything from recently added content of more then 1 type of library? example: currently plex loads recently added items from TV Shows (series category) but not Off Air TV Shows (series category) or Anime TV Shows (series category).
    all libraries are set to display there content on the dashboard; enabled. but they don't. just 1 at a time. whichever was last toggled to enabled setting. still using web 2.6.1

All we need to do is enable debug logging on the server and then try to load the dashboard and search the Plex Media Server.log for all /hubs requests and see what the completed time is - any value over 15000 milliseconds would give rise to the error

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

@m1e1w1 said:

I did not address your specific questions

Need to establish first if there are any issues with the requests and if they complete in time and error free / then one can tackle other aspects such as the contents of the result of the /hubs query and how it is done

I enabled verbose logs for debug.

I reviewed some /hub sections that give a time stamp at the end of the request. The only requests in the entire log related to series in the log are for 2 shows. Both of them are not recently aired; such as season 5 of a show which is on season 11, it should not be on the dashboard at all. The times for each request are quick enough to load before the 15 second time out limit.

I have an entire series next to that with the wrong air dates as well. in total, looking at the series area of the dashboard, i have 1 show from TV Shows Library and 1 Show from Anime TV Shows Library showing up. They are preventing newly added content from displaying at all.

I cant reset system and framework bundles, they don't exist anymore. how can i reset that with PMS 9.16.6?

doubt i can get past this otherwise. which may not be a web 2.6.1 issue, could be a PMS issue or a database issue.

I also setup an entirely new plex database with all the same content points. The 2nd database has the TV Shows series; the exact same content showing up, but the Anime TV Series is not showing. additionally, the 2nd database has more recently aired content showing on the dashboard for TV Series, but no Anime TV series at all.

This might be a metadata issue with the 1 season of the same show displaying the same incorrect recently aired status for both databases.

Might need a way to fix the problems with the affected series showing the wrong recently aired status to resolve that possibly.

On the 1st database i was using, movies are updating correctly. the 2nd database, no new movies are showing up at all. not since the original scan of new content when the database was built. despite additional scans for content.

Looks like i have layers of issue to tackle. what should i start with? ill be working on the primary database i use first; which runs for linux PMS. the 2nd database is on a windows PMS.

130mb Down / 4mb Up

edited May 2016

@m1e1w1 said:
    I cant reset system and framework bundles, they don't exist anymore. how can i reset that with PMS 9.16.6?

We don't reset bundles anymore - that changed as from version 0.9.12.5 of plex media server. The bundles are now tied to the plex media server release and are part of the release software. If you suspect the bundles then would need a repair to the install

@m1e1w1 said:
    Looks like i have layers of issue to tackle. what should i start with? ill be working on the primary database i use first; which runs for linux PMS. the 2nd database is on a windows PMS.

It will require detailed investigation. For each issue identifying what is happening and what you expect to be happening. To identify the exact requests being made and probably a copy of the database

• DigitalcheffeDigitalcheffe Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For those of you who are still having issues with Plex , I was able to get it working with the following Items. First let me tell you what I have running to provide some back story.

• Windows Server 2012 R2
    • Plex Running as a Service ( Separate account / using windows resource kit srvany.exe)
    • Plex service account is a domain user svc.plexmediaserver
    • Plex installed at d:\PlexMediaServer\
    • Upgraded to 0.9.1606

I had first ran into an issue when I swapped my libraries to my new synology NAS. I copied everything over and repointed my libraries. Plex did not like this very much, it was very upset re-scanning for ever. After a while , I noted that my libraries would not load and when they did there were very sluggish. I waited for about a day to see if it just needed time to sort everything out. I was still very sluggish and not working.

At this point I figured what the heck , I will upgrade to see if this resolves the issue. ( I downloaded the latest version for Plex Pass members 0.9.1606) , Stopped the services and ran the installer. This did not resolve the issue and the now the dashboard was broken . UGG!

As noted above I turned on verbose logging and saw that there was some errors pointing to plugins .

C:\Users\svc.PlexMediaServer\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Logs\PMS Plugin Logs\com.plexapp.agents.fanarttv.log \

File "D:\PlexMediaServer\Resources\Plug-ins-5089475\Framework.bundle\Contents\Resources\Versions\2\Python\Framework\components\networking.py", line 181, in load
    f = self._opener.open(req, timeout=self._timeout)
    File "D:\PlexMediaServer\python27.zip\urllib2.py", line 410, in open
    response = meth(req, response)
    File "D:\PlexMediaServer\python27.zip\urllib2.py", line 523, in http_response
    'http', request, response, code, msg, hdrs)
    File "D:\PlexMediaServer\python27.zip\urllib2.py", line 448, in error
    return self._call_chain(*args)
    File "D:\PlexMediaServer\python27.zip\urllib2.py", line 382, in _call_chain
    result = func(*args)
    File "D:\PlexMediaServer\python27.zip\urllib2.py", line 531, in http_error_default
    raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)
    HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

Although not directly suspicious , I stopped the service and deleted all of the following items. I had several plugins folders.

D:\PlexMediaServer\Resources\Plug-ins-xxxxx

I re-ran the installer and the plugins folder re-populated. After a reboot the dashboard seemed to be working correctly again.

I also ran the database optimize as well.

Please let me know if this resolves anyone else's problems. I did throw a few other zingers in there trying to fix the issue so it is possible that those may have fix it as well.

Good Luck!!

** As a side note, I migrated this installation from another server. I believe I had so many Plug-in folders because I copied some stuff over. Also it looks like every time you run the installer it creates another plugin folder.

• greatkingratgreatkingrat Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sa2000 said:

@m1e1w1 said:

All we need to do is enable debug logging on the server and then try to load the dashboard and search the Plex Media Server.log for all /hubs requests and see what the completed time is - any value over 15000 milliseconds would give rise to the error

Well, that explains the problems I've been having, I see numbers upp around 75000 ms in my log! I have experienced more and more problems with loading the dashboard, both in the player and on the web, and now it's more a rule than an exception. Is it just that my hard drive is getting slower, or is it because the library is growing? At the moment I have about 1000 movies and 180 TV shows.
    I run my server at a Mac Mini from 2010, it's definitely time to upgrade it, but I'm waiting for Apple to release a new model.

@greatkingrat said:

@sa2000 said:

@m1e1w1 said:

Well, that explains the problems I've been having, I see numbers upp around 75000 ms in my log! I have experienced more and more problems with loading the dashboard, both in the player and on the web, and now it's more a rule than an exception. Is it just that my hard drive is getting slower, or is it because the library is growing? At the moment I have about 1000 movies and 180 TV shows.
    I run my server at a Mac Mini from 2010, it's definitely time to upgrade it, but I'm waiting for Apple to release a new model.

As the database grows or lots of items get deleted or added, it needs to be optimized. There is already automatic database optimization that does happen when lots of items get added or deleted. There is also optimization done as part of housekeeping in scheduled tasks.

Suggest forcing an optimization and if the problem persists after that even when there are no changes to the database, then you do need to look into the disks and the Mac performance.

See Library Action Optimize Database on this support article
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200392106-Library-Actions

• greatkingratgreatkingrat Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 11

I optimize manually almost every day, so I think my hard drive is starting to show it's age.