If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why is Plex web player skipping audio tracks without playing?

mattpeckhammattpeckham Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, for reasons unknown, my Plex web player (using Chrome on OS X El Capitan, latest version) is suddenly skipping audio tracks. I don't mean audio stutter, I mean completely skipping. I click a track to play, Plex pauses for a second or two, then skips to the next track, and keeps skipping. I hear no audio at all.

If I use Safari (on same Mac) the audio plays. I've disabled all extensions / plugins, and have the latest version of Adobe Flash installed.

Any advice?

Answers

• johsmicjohsmic Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having the same problem.
    MP3 works fine, but Apple lossless wont play. Just skips to the next tune, and this goes on until it hits a mp3-file.

• mattpeckhammattpeckham Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ah, thank you for saying so - that adds a detail I'd forgotten to. Yep, all Apple Lossless (m4a) files here as well.

Several months ago, I didn't have the problem. It seems to have occurred in an update.

Well - It works for me now. But I dont know why...
    This is what I did - in a desperate attempt:

• Deleted my music-library
    • Added just one album with m4a-files - for testing
    • Chose "Premium Plex library". Same problem.
    • Did this a couple of times, with different settings - did not work.
    • Then I chose "Create basic music library" and it worked.
    • Then I deleted the library once more, and added the same album as "Premium Plex library". And it still worked.
    • Now I have added my whole collection as Premium, and everything works well.

Go figure...

• mattpeckhammattpeckham Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How strange. I just did the same, went with basic, but it's still skipping tracks in Chrome (and playing them just fine in Safari).

This becomes stranger and stranger...
    Now m4a suddenly stopped working in Chrome, but as you say, it works in Safari.
    I will notify plex support.

• plnkeye21plnkeye21 Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass ✭✭
    edited May 2016

Has this been fixed? Is it a Chrome only thing? My audio library skips when I'm remote web playing. But if I play directly (locally) no skips. Super frustrating. Works fine in IE.

• beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 3,997Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 2016

@mattpeckham said:
    Hi, for reasons unknown, my Plex web player (using Chrome on OS X El Capitan, latest version) is suddenly skipping audio tracks. I don't mean audio stutter, I mean completely skipping. I click a track to play, Plex pauses for a second or two, then skips to the next track, and keeps skipping. I hear no audio at all.

If I use Safari (on same Mac) the audio plays. I've disabled all extensions / plugins, and have the latest version of Adobe Flash installed.

Any advice?

I think you may have encountered the same bug I reported a few weeks ago.

• shortjt@gmail.comshortjt@gmail.com Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sounds similar to what I'm experiencing although the track skipping happens in Chrome, IE11, and FF in Windows. I can temporarily fix the issue by viewing the Info on the track, but this seems browser specific. If I open a new session in another browser the same track will not play. It doesn't do it on all Apple Lossless files.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1189196#Comment_1189196

• s1mplemans1mpleman Posts: 468Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here, had it for a month or so now.

• axeboxaxebox Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's doing this for me on the Nvidia Shield TV. One possibility is it's a caching problem as I think PMS has introduced lots of side effects due to not being able to write to extended storage.