If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Screen rotation on iOS app.

kieranmjoneskieranmjones Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

I'm a relatively new user to Plex and am absolutely loving it, I am getting much less sleep as now I find myself watching movies every night in bed on my iPhone 6 Plus or iPad! However there is one thing that annoys me, screen rotation.

At the moment, if I watch a movie then in portrait the movie starts playing as a tiny video in the middle of the screen. If I rotate the phone to landscape it then goes full screen, which makes sense. However, I tend to have my rotation lock enabled all the time, especially as I tend to use my phone a lot at night lying in bed and so having it rotate all the time when I'm lying on my side gets annoying. The problem with this is that with rotation lock on there is no way to get my movie playing full screen without disabling the rotation lock. But then if I shuffle around at all then the video will keep rotating which is also annoying.

I wonder if the behaviour of the video playback in relation to rotation and particularly rotation lock could be aligned more closely with how a lot of apps such as YouTube work. YouTube is a great example, with rotation lock enabled and I start playback it plays in a small window, but I have a button to make it go full screen on landscape even though my phone is still rotation locked. This behaviour is great as it means I can shuffle around and move and do whatever and the video stays playing in landscape full screen. A similar button to force full screen when rotation lock is enable would be great in the Plex app.

Just my humble suggestion/request as a new user.

Comments

• Dave_HedgehogDave_Hedgehog Posts: 102Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex does already have a lock to landscape option. When playing back media press the button on the bottom left (looks like three sliders) and this brings up a video settings screen, here you can toggle on the lock to landscape option. This works whether you have iOS's [portrait] orientation lock on or not.

I would, however, love to see them add an option to select which way round the lock to landscape works. I've recently changed from an iPhone 4s to an SE, with the headphone jack at the opposite end of the phone, so find the videos now play upside down with how I wire up my headphones. Having the video locked the other way up would also allow me to stand the phone on its flat edge during playback, something not possible with the current orientation as the volume controls are on the bottom edge.

• irq7irq7 Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Dave_Hedgehog said:

I would, however, love to see them add an option to select which way round the lock to landscape works. I've recently changed from an iPhone 4s to an SE, with the headphone jack at the opposite end of the phone, so find the videos now play upside down with how I wire up my headphones. Having the video locked the other way up would also allow me to stand the phone on its flat edge during playback, something not possible with the current orientation as the volume controls are on the bottom edge.

This, so much this. The way my phone sits on my desk, the default landscape is always upside down, I have to pick my phone up to have it switch to portrait and then put it back down (sometimes more than once if the sensor doesn't catch the rotation) to get it fixed. I'd LOVE a "rotate top to left/right on landscape switch" setting.

• kieranmjoneskieranmjones Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well I've learnt something there, never even knew that option existed! I shall have to test that out, although your suggestion also sounds very useful about being able to choose the landscape orientation, if I was lying in bed with the phone plugged in it would be preferable to have the charging lead coming out of the left side but if it locked the wrong way that wouldn't be possible.

Thanks for the tip!

• wspies721wspies721 Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Here is what Google does CORRECTLY versus what Plex does INCORRECTLY!!!