If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Optimized Version File Names

Nigel IrvingNigel Irving Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi there,
I apologize if this question has already been asked. I attempted to search for an existing forum entry but did not find a similar question, possibly due to an inadequate search configuration.

So, as seen in the "Naming 'Series' & Seasons' Based TV Shows" of the Plex Guides, it instructs to use the following naming convention: "TV Shows/ShowName/Season XX/ShowName - sXXeYY - Optional_Info.ext".
However, when using the Optimize functionality of the Plex Server, the resulting file names of the optimized versions of shows drops the "ShowName" value and capitalizes the Seasons abbreviation and Episode abbreviation. (e.g., changes from "ShowName - sXXeYY" to "SXXEYY")

Is this the intended functionality and why does the Optimize feature of Plex Server not follow the naming convention specified by the User Guide?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 30,278Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

It doesn't matter at all whether the letters are capitalised or not.
    The naming schema started out capitalised, but the lowercase allows for easier reading (by human eyes).

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • Nigel IrvingNigel Irving Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@OttoKerner said:
    It doesn't matter at all whether the letters are capitalised or not.
    The naming schema started out capitalised, but the lowercase allows for easier reading (by human eyes).

If that was only the issue, you would have provided some great feedback.
    Thank you, but I'd still like to know if this is the intended functionality, why the show name is dropped from the optimized file name and why the case style changes.

I am aware that Plex Server recognizes the files appropriately, but this is a matter of consistency and user experience.
    Having aligned all my media with the specifications outlined in the user guides, this issue creates a significant inconvenience in maintaining an organized library, especially in situations where a user replaces the original media with the optimized version.

• Nigel IrvingNigel Irving Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Seems like this is something that should be corrected.

Seeing as the Plex Server is so flexible, it makes sense that if user specified file naming follows a minimum that the scanners will process the media correctly.
    However, if the Plex team and/or community validated and approved the user guides, the Plex Server should adhere to the same specifications as outlined in the guides.

These are the kinds of things that impact the user experience and get users like me asking if I am experiencing a bug or simply inconsistency.

Don't get me wrong, I can deal with the inconsistency, but it's more than annoying after normalizing files names for the umpteenth time.

• Weldron28Weldron28 Posts: 1Members

Just noticed this issue too - only post I can find on the matter (apologies if discussed further elsewhere).

It seems quite ironic that Plex's own system doesn't adhere to their own naming guidelines.

I agree that this can be confusing for the user (me) and, additionally, it causes issues with my other systems that have been configured to detect files based on the Plex naming convention.

Such a small change, any chance we can get the 'Show Title' added to the beginning of an optimised file?

At the moment I'm having to go through and add the show title to every episode manually.

• cdenneencdenneen Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have similar issue but not related to Series.
    I optimized a movie (Movie Name 2017.mkv) and it created a (Plex Versions/TV Default/EVO 2017.mp4)
    Any idea how to rename the resulting file?

Also if I move the optimized versions from their Custom Universal * folders to another folder is Plex smart enough to be okay with that or will it start converting again? Reason being is I've attempted a few different Optimized format types resulting in many folders but for my WD Passport Wireless Pro I need to sync the converted files over and with many folders its a pain... I guess I can setup a new format type and re-optimize all over again but I was hoping moving them would be okay with Plex (with db pointers I'm guessing that might not be the case... but figured I'd ask)

• domperignon3domperignon3 Posts: 55Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a similar issue: Optimized file names are changed. This makes it more complicated to replace the original, larger file, by the optimized one. I use DVR all the time, and always optimize my files, then delete the original and put the optimized version insteas, otherwise my HD gets full.

Newbie running PMS on 2008 iMac + HDHomeRun CONNECT + DIY coat hanger Hoverman antenna