Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[BUG] Subtitles and general handling of multi-part movies

nielspaulinielspauli Members, Plex Pass Posts: 28 Plex Pass

I'm not sure if this is a server or player issue, but i see related problems both with the web player and Samsung Hub, so who knows. It it is probably a bit of both.

I have a multi part movie which I have named according to the guide:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200264966-Naming-Stacked-or-Multi-Part-Movies

I.e.

Movie - Part1.avi
Movie - Part2.avi

The subtitle files are named correspondingly:

Movie - Part1.dan.srt
Movie - Part2.dan.srt

The subtitles for the second part are not displayed correctly. The behaviour depends on the player:

Web player (chrome) - No subtilte is displayed for part 2
Samsung Hub (V2.005) - The subtitle for part 1 is displayed for the second part also.

In general, multi part movies are not handled too well. E.g. I would like to see everything behave as if it was a single file. I.e. the progress bar showing the entire length and not just the length of the current part.

Also, on Samsung hub, I'm unable to jump to a location in the second part of the movie. Further, if the movie is stopped a bit into the second part and resumed, the player resumes from that offset in the first part.

BTW: Its not a big issue for me, since I really don't have that many multi part movies. This post is just to let the developer know.

PS: This is a post about a related problem:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/174800/subtitles-not-working-on-multi-part-movie

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 30,880 Plex Ninja
    edited April 2016

The last post on that thread tells you that subtitles don't work on multi-part files.

I can only offer you a labour-intensive solution:
    Merge the two video files into one.

Do the same with the subtitles (but remember to edit the subtitle file for part 2 first and move all timestamps backwards by the playtime of video part 1).
    This can be achieved with a Subtitle Editor

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • smiske01smiske01 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Multi-part movies work fine in web and IOS plex app. The multi-part movie issue (only part 1 is displayed and played) can be allocated to the Samsung hub/app. [Samsung smart hub 2010-2015 models with plex app version 2.007 PMS version 1.8.4.4249].

Does anyone know if this issue is known and submitted to the Samsung app development team?

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 7,620 Plex Ninja

I wasn't aware, but I am now, i'll have a look. Thanks for the report.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

@Orca said:
    I wasn't aware, but I am now, i'll have a look. Thanks for the report.

@Orca,
    I think that the same issue is discussed in a different thread (http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/257109/two-issue-multi-part-videos-last-playback-setting-being-used-for-channels#latest). Maybe you can find additional info on the issue. Thanks for picking it up!

@Orca,
    Did you have time to have a look into the multi-part issue? I tried to play a multi-part-video with latest plex app version 2.007 PMS 1.12.0.4829 but problem persists...

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 7,620 Plex Ninja

Yes, should be resolved , check v 2.009 changelog here.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

Ok, my fault. I was still running v2.007. Installed v2.009 manually and issue resolved.