Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Web-Plex stops playing after 3 episodes?

DarkholmeDarkholme Members Posts: 36 ✭✭

So, one of the main things I use Plex for is to play 9-11 hours of video for my dog (Locke) while I'm at work.

I had to stop relying on the XBox app because if the internet dropped for even a few seconds (common occurrence), it would just halt playback and stop. On the days this happened, I would come home to a very hyper/anxious dog.

So today I went to try using the web app instead (on my somewhat crappy 6 year old Win7 laptop with a small screen, instead of on my 40 inch LED flatscreen)...

And when I get home, it's showing that it stopped the "Play All Episodes" after the third episode in the series. This is of course, problematic. 3 episodes is not 9-11 hours of video. Dog was super hyper when I got home.

How do I fix/change this behavior, so that when I queue up videos, it plays them continuously until it hits the end of the queue?

Answers

• asbilloasbillo Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

dude, i'm right there with you. I have a post about this very same thing, and apparently NO ONE seems to care. It's great to finally meet someone just as annoyed as me about this.

Unfortunately, the Plex programmers in their infinite wisdom built in the auto stop feature ON PURPOSE??? Their reason ... wait for it ... is so people who fall asleep while watching Plex could wake up without their whole TV show being watched. I couldn't believe it when I first heard this, but unfortunately I found it to be true on the official site:
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202605013
    Scroll to the bottom to see the reasoning for the auto stop after more than 2 hours of video playback.

I really wish they would add an option for true continuous playback. This flies in the face of the very concept of a playlist/queue. The users who want a fail safe to fall asleep to should get their own option in settings.

The creators of Plex assume too much.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Members Posts: 36 ✭✭

"So people who fall asleep while watching Plex could wake up without their whole TV show being watched."

But they could just mark those episodes as unwatched when they go to play it again?

I don't care if they want to make this the default, I just want the option to turn it off. Telus Optik TV shuts off after 4h, but if you call in you can have them turn that off on your account.

If there seriously no way to shut that off? It doesn't have to be user friendly. I'm quite comfortable monkeying around in ini files, or chaging settings with regedit, or whatever. Anything that works will do.

If there is really no way to fix this, I am shocked to hear that the response from Plex would be "Sorry dude. Don't use Plex for one of the main things people want a media library for (queuing up a list of videos to just play)".

Currently I am now back to using MPC a lot of the time and navigating windows folders for the files to queue up. I got Plex because it was supposed to be a better option, but I can't use it if it literally won't let me.

• haertighaertig Members Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

Wouldn't the dog be just as happy if you simply turned on the TV and let it watch Oprah reruns all day? Is a specific playlist really required?

As far as Plex cutting things off after three hours, I've never noticed that. On the rare occasions when we binge watch a show, I do sometimes have to get up to pee, and maybe hitting pause every now and then proves there's still life out there on the couch, so Plex happily plays on.

I think it's 2 hours of no-touching, based on that page linked above.

As for if the dog would be just as happy with oprah reruns; having tried both, he's much more calm when I get home when the stuff playing is the same stuff I watch when I'm here, vs just whatever's on TV.

• haertighaertig Members Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

It's funny your dog has preferences! :)

One of our dogs, the Jack Russel Terrorist, worships the center channel speaker as if it were some kind of Mystic God of Sound. Even when the home theater is turned off, she's sitting there staring at that speaker waiting for it to awaken from its slumber. I had to move it farther back on it's shelf so she'd stop licking it. Strange animal...

• asbilloasbillo Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

I have recently discovered that the Roku version of the app does in fact allow for continuous playback!? It's super dumb that this is the only way to get this working. I tested it with an old Roku 2 XS I have, and sure enough Plex will keep playing till the cows come home.

This is not a great solution, and I would much rather they fix the broken app for Web and Chromecast. If you really need this feature like I do, it is an option.

Yeah, so does the XBox Version, but it stops if the internet connection drops for 2 seconds (even though you're streaming content on the same network), whereas the web interface does not.

Does the Roku keep playing, if you, say, unplug the phone cord/coax cable from your modem? If so, I may end up buying a Roku - even though everything else it does can be done by half a dozen other devices I already own.

The reason I started using the web interface instead of the XBox for the dog, was that I kept finding I'd come home and it had stopped in a random place during the day and said it lost its connection to xbox live.

• stoneysilencestoneysilence Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 ✭✭

Man this sucks. I use this for myself and my mother who both have to have the tv going otherwise we wake up. I am trying to get my mom to cut the cord but Plex keeps stopping on her in the middle of the night so she is getting pissed and won't cut the cord. I have 45 days worth of video in a queue and it stops after a few hours. I don't want it to stop! This should be an option.

• joshtruscottjoshtruscott Members Posts: 1

I agree, I hope they consider introducing a toggle for this

• mirloc@gmail.commirloc@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Does anyone know what constitutes "inactivity" with Plex? Perhaps something as simple as some kind of anti-AFK software like used by online gamers could be a workaround? If it's mouse movement

• Aldermach XIAldermach XI Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

What the hell is the point of having Playlists that are days long if the stupid web player stops after 2 hours?

Really stupid reasoning behind this.

Devs, make this an option we can set ffs...

• bruabbruab Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Any movement on this?

We are the users, if we say "play" Plex should play. If you developers think differently, at least give us a setting to make Plex do what we want.

Don't arbitrarily decide we don't know what we want.

• smartypartssmartyparts Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

I used Plex for exactly the same thing. Keeps the dog happy while I am at work. Would love to turn off the timeout.

• NjregenwetherNjregenwether Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Same same same. Make a toggle. It won't take long and will make many people happy.

• mee3ukmee3uk Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Finally understand the problem! I need to keep plex playing throughout the night and I have switched from the Samsung plex app to chromecast. Samsung app used to have continuous play, but chromecast stops after about 3 episodes. I even bought an ethernet connection for chromecast incase that was the problem.

We need a fix for this...

• craggytabscraggytabs Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

Make this work!

• tkovacic87tkovacic87 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

@Njregenwether said:
    Same same same. Make a toggle. It won't take long and will make many people happy.

It absolutely should be a toggle feature. The fact that it's not is just ridiculous. I don't want Plex to dictate to me what my use case should be like. If I want to play episodes from now until the HDDs die, that's my choice as a user.

I can understand Netflix's choice to limit automatic play to 3 episodes, due to them having a cost in streaming the movies to the user, however, my files are local, my device is local and it should keep playing videos until I tell it to stop...

I would like some sort of answer from Plex as to why this isn't a toggleable feature, and when we can expect it to be a toggleable feature, because as it stands, their reasoning that the stopping is to "prevent having a whole television season get played through if you fall asleep" is not a good enough reason to make this feature mandatory.

• KeliconKelicon Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass
    edited April 8

@tkovacic87 said:
    I would like some sort of answer from Plex as to why this isn't a toggleable feature, and when we can expect it to be a toggleable feature, because as it stands, their reasoning that the stopping is to "prevent having a whole television season get played through if you fall asleep" is not a good enough reason to make this feature mandatory.

I completely agree. Been using Plex for well over 4 years now and this 'feature' drives me absolutely insane. Please please please make this functionality optional.

• lisaintxlisaintx Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

I can't sleep without the TV on. This started after the military. Guess I got used to all the activity/noise at night. Loved old classic Plex, as it ran non-stop. Old Roku gone and daughter bought me new one. But no joy with the new one, as cannot use classic Plex anymore.. End up being woken by silence and have to restart Plex, to try and finish my night. Broken sleep stinks, by the way. Please tell me there is a way to change this now. I really would like a full nights sleep.
    FYI Am disabled with income of 300 a mo. So rely on my Roku and Plex for TV. Free channels have lousy stuff and can't sleep to it. lol Copied all my DVD's to computer, so I could watch. Daughter brings me hers, when she gets new ones. So Please Fix This PLEX!