If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Opening Plex. You must sign in to your Samsung

Hi now when I try to open plex I get
You must sign in to your Samsung account to use this feature.

Any way around this ?

Answers

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,342Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

No, I came across this myself last night! I'm not sure what's going on, will investigate.
    Anyway, signing in with a Samsung account made it work again.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• yazoooyazooo Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same for me, very frustrating.

• anaglyptaanaglypta Posts: 45Members ✭✭
    edited May 2016

Hello all,

I also have this problem on my 2015 (JU7000) TV. You will find that the app launches without problem from the Smart Hub ribbon, but not from the My Apps Tab.

To work around the problem create a Samsung account (if you don't already have one) and sign in.
    Now lauch the Plex app. (It should start without problem)
    Quit the app then sign out from your Samsung account.
    Quit Smart Hub to get back to TV
    Now press the Smart Hub button
    The ribbon displays at the bottom of the screen with Plex as the first app.
    Select this and use the up arrow to enable options and PIN the app to the ribbon.
    Now when you want to use the app, just launch it from the ribbon.
    Pinning it to the ribbon prevents it from being forced off by other apps.

Hope this helps for the time being until Samsung corrects the problem or @Orca finds a solution :)

John

P.S. Latest Samsung firmware (1452) does not cure the problem :(

• anaglyptaanaglypta Posts: 45Members ✭✭

Just as an addendum to the above. The reason for not wanting to be permanently signed in to a Samsung account is that (on my TV at least) it takes a very long time before the TV is ready to use after switch on, since you have to wait for Smart Hub to start and then login to your account.

John.

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,342Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Samsung recently changed some things. They affect an old piece of the code that would let you single-sign-on with a Samsung account. I will see if I can remove that part. It's no longer needed since we have our own login.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• theho1theho1 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is anyone else getting this sign in to your Samsung Account error again?

I have version 2.005 installed and was able to use it this morning, however a few minutes ago I tried and it was not loading properly. I uninstalled the app, power cycled the tv, reinstalled the app and now I am getting this Samsung Account message.

• jorgenunojorgenuno Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

Hi,
    Never experienced the problem before, but this weekend I had to sign in to samsung account. Minor hassle, but the TV is indeed less responsive now in the firat 15sec after booting. Can't event lower the volume. After that all is good.
    Thanks Orca for a very good and reliable experience!

• zdolzdol Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes please, do remove that part; I actually went on and created a Samsung account just for that. I'd love to sign out of it.

• jamestruemanjamestrueman Posts: 53Members ✭✭

had the same happen to me today - was running 2.005 - updated to 2.006 and no problemo! Cheers Orca

• duplexiglassduplexiglass Posts: 1Members

Had this pop up on the samsung tv, too. If I delete the app then reinstall it connects directly without any further setup issues as if nothing ever happened. I read the beginning of the Samsung account terms and they're ridiculous (they can remove, modify, add, etc. anything they want at any time in terms of your privacy and the data they have access to by your acceptance of their terms. that's just too much contractual freedom on their part to deal with...)

So has anyone at Plex been able to address this problem without creating/signing-in/signing-out of a Samsung account like the seemingly helpful post half way up the thread?

That was a bug that has been resolved in version 2.006. You are no longer required to have a Samsung account.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• YaracuyYaracuy Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 11

Sorry for reviving an old thread but couldn't find a more recent one about this issue.

Since last night, trying to open the Plex app on my Samsung TV, I get a message: "This app needs a Samsung account."

Trying to log into my Samsung account - which normally is done automatically - I get a server error from Samsung. The Samsung accounts server is apparently down.

I don't care about my Samsung account - I'd rather not even have one - but would like to use the Plex app without logging in. I am logged into the Plex app with my Plex Pass account already.

No other problems with networking. YouTube, Netflix, DLNA, etc, all working fine.

Edit: To add that my TV model is a UE55JS8000 running Tizen.

As stated above, if you use version 2.006 or newer, you should not be asked for a Samsung account.
    Please check the AppStore on your TV to see if there is an update available for you (2.008 should be the latest for your model)

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

edited May 12

@Orca said:
    Please check the AppStore on your TV to see if there is an update available for you (2.008 should be the latest for your model)

Thanks @Orca. It is version 2.008 and I can't open the app unless I am signed in.

Normally, my account is signed in automatically but for the past couple of days it had not been possible to sign in automatically or manually. Got a "Samsung Server Error (-1)". All other network features worked fine.

After googling a bit, I reset Smart Hub, waited som 20 minutes, opened Smart Hub and signed in without problems. I downloaded the Plex app again and, once I entered the PIN code from the plex.tv site, to my pleasant surprise, I did not need to set it up again. It picked my PMS, users and is working fine now.

But I still can't open the app if I am not signed in with my Samsung account.

Edit: This is a wild guess but could it be because I was signed into my Samsung account when I downloaded and installed the app? Don't know if you even can download Smart Hub apps if you are not signed in.

I don't have a 2015 model at hand, but AFAIK it's not required to have a Samsung account.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

I'll be damned :blush:

It surely works without signing in to the Samsung account.

Thanks, @Orca

• SE56SE56 Posts: 1,675Members ✭✭✭✭

@Orca said:
    I don't have a 2015 model at hand, but AFAIK it's not required to have a Samsung account.

With the number of Samsung TV's are you ever going to be sober. Octoberfest in April, hiccup...

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.